I was getting between 30%-50% packet loss (icmp pings though, which are
often dropped) from comcast in Beaverton the other night,
between 1am and 4am, and used "mtr" to keep an eye on things...
craptastic.  Generally they get my packets around speedily though...

   Ben

On 1/10/07, Bob Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Matthew Jarvis wrote:

> On an otherwise reasonably functional network, I see that sometimes I
> can get out on the net, other times not, and sometimes it's fine one
> minute then almost instantly - poof - nadda...

Do you have a caching DNS server in the building?  (If not, why not?
(-: )

You can use mtr to see how far packets are getting.  Leave it running
for a few minutes and look for the nearest hop where the packet loss
rate is high.  That'll give you an idea where the problem is.

    # mtr www.google.com

                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]