Bob Miller wrote:
Matthew Jarvis wrote:

On an otherwise reasonably functional network, I see that sometimes I
can get out on the net, other times not, and sometimes it's fine one
minute then almost instantly - poof - nadda...

Do you have a caching DNS server in the building?  (If not, why not?
(-: )

You can use mtr to see how far packets are getting.  Leave it running
for a few minutes and look for the nearest hop where the packet loss
rate is high.  That'll give you an idea where the problem is.

    # mtr www.google.com

mtr looks like it could be useful - thanks for the heads up on that tool. Assuming this problem comes up again I'll try it out...

Just in case it's a hardware issue, I've moved the router and firewall box around for better cooling... I'm doubtful that this will help but it's worth a shot...

Thanks again,

Matthew S. Jarvis
IT Manager
Bike Friday - "Performance that Packs."