Re:  years from now... (see Jason's last line)   Bummer!  It has been less
than 60 days...
didn't someone mention not being able to get XP from Dell already?

ben

On 12/29/06, Jason LaPier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 After using and supporting XP for the last four years or so, I'd have to
admit, it doesn't BSOD as much as earlier versions of Windows - in fact,
even when I did see a BSOD it was hardware related (bad memory, failing hard
drive, etc). Anyway, I think the point of the OP was that 98% of Windows
users could use XP for the next 5 or 10 years if they had to and not even
blink (as long as their AV works and their OS updates keep coming in) -
there's no point in upgrading to Vista, because Vista doesn't have anything
additional to offer the web-surfing, word-processing, mp3-playing, general
pop.

My biggest problem with OS X is lack of UI feedback. Most of the time if
an application crashes, it just goes away - ugly error messages are hidden
from the end-users, which both confuses the user and makes support that much
more of a pain. Does hiding the error messages make the OS appear more
stable to the end-user? I don't know. Probably. I just wish there was a way
to at least go into System Prefs and check a box somewhere that would change
that behavior.

I've pretty much gotten to the point where I hate Windows and OS X
equally, but for entirely different reasons. When it comes to user support,
I find Windows easier to troubleshoot (the Event Viewer beats the pants off
the 'Console' and googling for Windows errors yields solutions, whereas
googling for Mac-related problems tends to lead me to propaganda) but of
course OS X has a much more intuitive interface, cutting down on the "How do
I" issues. So generally, in my office I let the end-users pick their poison.
I won't support Vista until vendors like Dell no longer offer XP
pre-installed, which I have a feeling will be years from now.

- Jason