B. Gallagher wrote:

> I do understand that the direction of technology flow seems to be into
> the use of external HDD's for back-up so maybe I'm beating a dead horse
> here.  I bought an External HDD shell for $25 and intend to throw a 500
> GB Seagate internal in there (right now it has that noisy 30 GB Maxtor,
> that I'm waiting to see die, till I get the money.)
>
> I'm talking about softRAID and a home user.  I guess RAID 1 is a moot
> point, but what about RAID 0?  Isn't there a performance  boost or is
> this a lot of complexity for not much performance gain?  This is
> practice, not theory, so its fair for me to ask.  What's your experience?

You don't want to use RAID of any stripe ( :-) ) with an external
drive.  You want to copy files from the main disk to the external
drive.  Google for "rsync backup" to get some ideas.  The seminal
paper on the subject is Mike Rubel's. (2nd or 3rd in Google's list)

There are some good turnkey backup systems based on rsync.  I don't
have any specific recommendations but I'm sure others do.

                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]