I would suggest looking at one of two paths:

1) rdiff does incremental rsync based backups
2) unison does bi-directional syncing.

Bob Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

 % B. Gallagher wrote:
 %
 % > I do understand that the direction of technology flow seems to be into
 % > the use of external HDD's for back-up so maybe I'm beating a dead horse
 % > here.  I bought an External HDD shell for $25 and intend to throw a 500
 % > GB Seagate internal in there (right now it has that noisy 30 GB Maxtor,
 % > that I'm waiting to see die, till I get the money.)
 % >
 % > I'm talking about softRAID and a home user.  I guess RAID 1 is a moot
 % > point, but what about RAID 0?  Isn't there a performance  boost or is
 % > this a lot of complexity for not much performance gain?  This is
 % > practice, not theory, so its fair for me to ask.  What's your experience?
 %
 % You don't want to use RAID of any stripe ( :-) ) with an external
 % drive.  You want to copy files from the main disk to the external
 % drive.  Google for "rsync backup" to get some ideas.  The seminal
 % paper on the subject is Mike Rubel's. (2nd or 3rd in Google's list)
 %
 % There are some good turnkey backup systems based on rsync.  I don't
 % have any specific recommendations but I'm sure others do.
 %
 % --
 % Bob Miller                              K<bob>
 %                                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 % EUGLUG mailing list
 % euglug@euglug.org

-----
                        .           computers and the Internet