I'm really surprised no one has named a standard that everyone should
be using.  I'm waiting for that to happen before I implement DKIM/SPF
or what ever becomes the standard.  I favor checking for a MX record.
If the senders mail server does not have a MX record drop the
connection.  That stops the DLS/cable modem zombies and not the hacked
mail servers.