Nobody willing to try Dell's pre-installed laptops?
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/linux_3x?c=us&cs=19&l=e
n&s=dhs

Of course they only have one model, but there are some customization
options.

I run Feisty on a Dell Inspiron 1501. When I first got it, I ran Edgy
and the thing would suspend, but never come back from suspension. Then
when Feisty came out, all the power stuff worked great. A couple months
ago, kernel update or something - now it comes back from suspend but
hangs immediately afterward. Haven't had a chance to install Gutsy to
see if that makes a difference. Seems like the Dell pre-installs would
have all the right hardware for everything from ACPI to Wifi to work
properly.

- Jason L.