miniITX board, microATX case, FreeNAS on a CF card, and whatever
drives you want. Power consumption is very low and your data is
in YOUR hands. Personally, I'd rather have a full linux distro
so you can have it run more chores as needed. I like storing
ISO's on my fileserver so just drop a CD in the RW, ssh in, and
burn off what you need.

NAS specific boxes aren't as cheap but 'easier' to work with.
Thecus is very highly rated on their N5200 and N4100 boxes.
Infrant (now Netgear owned) is also quite popular. Intel's
SE4000 is pretty nice too.

That be all,
Mr O.