0 is striping, 1 is mirroring. Easiest way to remebmer: 0 means
0 percent chance of recovery in failure, 1 is 1 chance.

If you're sharing with Windows and an onboard controller you're
going to have to do softRAID. True hardware RAID controllers
make the individual drives transparent to the OS. Personally,
I'd think there would be a much lower chance of screw-up with a
hardware controller vs trying softRAID when running multiple
operating systems. The onboard and/or inexpensive RAID
controllers aren't true hardware RAID and linux will see
seperate drives though Windows is setup to show one drive
because you've loaded a driver. My only suggestion would be to
be careful if you're running Windows and linux on the same
softRAID array. If you have a separate pair of drives for each
array then go hog wild or scrounge Ebay for a 4 port 3Ware.

That be all,
Mr O.