Thanks Larry
I was able to fix this by switching the devices in the volume control I was not using the correct device.the level of sound and the mute stays where I put them after I reboot. I am new to Ubuntu and Ubuntu forms had no response to my question.now I need to get the G7 Logitech mouse to work with all buttons I think I will tinker with the problem first before asking anyone for help.I have been running BTNX to confiqure buttons. when I select it from the system tools it ask me for my password and does not pop up the interface.just goes back to desktop. So I will have a learning curve with this for awhile.

I am *Terminal* challenged so when I type Sudo everyone holds there breath. LOL

:-)

larry price wrote:
Is it being reset as part of your saved .gnome-session settings?

That's assuming it doesn't start until after you log in.