Thanks Bob I was replying to Larry when you sent this I looked into /var/lib/alsa/asound.state and it had a recent modified date so it seams to be up dating I posted part of it below I think it is ok now I think 0 setting is mute or sound all the way down ether way works.Thanks for getting back to me.

control.8 {
comment.access 'read write'
comment.type INTEGER
comment.count 2
comment.range '0 - 31'
iface MIXER
name 'Line Playback Volume'
value.0 0
value.1 0
}
control.9 {
comment.access 'read write'
comment.type BOOLEAN
comment.count 2
iface MIXER
name 'Line Playback Switch'
value.0 false
value.1 false

Bob Miller wrote:
terry na wrote:

Every time I log in In Ubuntu 7.10 my line in audio is hissing I have a ATI
tv card and it uses line in for sound. if I start the TV Card the sound
clears up .does anyone Know how to mute the Line in on boot up. I can mute
it in sound property's but when I reboot it unmutes again.

Try editing /var/lib/alsa/asound.state.  The system should be
automatically updating this file for you (check its modification
date) but maybe it isn't working for some reason.