On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 3:20 PM, Fred James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> All
> The central database and server ...
> SGI IRIX 6.4 (soon to become 6.5.30)
> Oracle 8.0.4 (soon to become 8.1.7 - sorry that's our limit at the moment)
>
> Other SQL databases on other computers want to communicate (GUI interactive
> not required - this is behind the scenes stuff)
>
> One box in particular is said to be a fairly recent version of Red Hat
> Enterprise - have not confirmed that
>
> Could someone outline the communication layer, please?  Or point me toward
> some "for dummies" documentation?

The for dummies version is that you need to run some form of client
software (JDBC, ODBC or equivalent) that will handle your sql and hand
it off to the binary wire format the server speaks.
The classic thing is for the database server to listen on a high
number port (1521 or 2483 for oracle) for various reasons many popular
RDBMS systems will default to using an unencrypted connection unless
configured differently.

Generally speaking; you'll need to find out what address and port the
database is listening on, and configure your client software
appropriately. If the server is only listening on the loopback
interface and you need to connect to it over the internet you can use
ssh port forwarding to reach it.

So if you are needing to copy data between a local mysql installation
and the oracle box you will need to run a script that can talk to both
and translate the format differences as necessary.