I think you're thinking of a series stories by Arthur
C. Clarke, in which a multinational Expedition
(British. American and Soviet) land on the Moon. In
one of them, a sodium flare is secretly fitted with a
stencil that forms the name of a popular soft drink in
the 1950's. Clarke nevermentions it by name, but the
commander of the British ship, used to drink a
beverage ina wasp-waisted bottle, until after the
incident.
--- Jayme Blaschke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> at the moon through telecopes without seeing the
> golden arches of mcdonalds engraved somewhere on its
> surface.  :)
>
> Was it Pepsi or Coke or somebody who caught flack a
> few years back for studying the feasability of
> beaming a laser logo onto the surface of the moon to
> be visible from Earth? Someone did. And someday
> someone will go through with it for the stunt value
> alone. Yuck.
>
> Jayme Lynn Blaschke
> _______________________
> "The Dust" coming April 2001 in
> THE ANT-MEN OF TIBET, AND OTHER STORIES
> from Big Engine
> http://www.bigengine.co.uk/index.htm
>
> Blaschke Home Realm
> http://www.vvm.com/~caius
>
> =You are subscribed to the Europa Icepick mailing
> list:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Project information and list (un)subscribe info:
> http://klx.com/europa/

=====

Sincerely

James McEnanly