In a message dated 3/13/2001 4:34:44 PM Alaskan Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> How about sending the people to space who belong there: the paraplegics.
>  Legs are a detriment in weightlessness.  And people who are confined to
>  wheelchairs here would be free and equal for the first time in their lives
>  (or since they'd been confined to a wheelchair).  I am familiar with the
>  SF story Jamie mentioned about the genetically designed workers with hands
>  instead of feet, and it does make a valid point, you really don't need
>  legs in weightlessness.
>
>  I say that ultimately space station crews should be opened to people with
>  no legs.  They deserve it and they won't have the problems the rest of us
>  experience.
>
>  Pam

You know, Pam, I also thought of something like that, right after I sent one
of the emails on bone loss.  It would be a direct solution, wouldn't it?

Practically speaking, to my understanding, paraplegics might be good
candidates for more than just the lack of bothersome legs.  They have
developed strong upper bodies, and immense willpower and patience, by
necessity.  Such characteristics would be extremely useful in space.

For that matter, I was thinking that perhaps we've been approaching the idea
of astronauts all wrong.  Consider:  very intelligent people often have a
problem focusing, on sticking to a program, because they get bored very
easily.  Perhaps the best thing is not to send very bright people on very
long space journeys, but to send rather dull people, who won't get bored,
frustrated, or go insane being locked in a tin can for months at a time.

Can't you just see it?  'Paraplegics, with subnormal intelligence wanted, for
deep space journey'.

On a sidenote:  we all discussed the potential of the 'ideal space worker'
some months ago on Europa.  I think we all wound up discussing a bright
chimpanzee, who could simply follow remote instructions.

-- JHB