Robert,

I hear you on the human costs versus our perhaps esoteric "need to
know".  Carl Sagan wrestled with this topic also.  One of my favorite
exchanges (whether real or contrived) was attributed to Ben Franklin.
When someone questioned his basic scientific research with the
question "What good is it?", he replied "What good is a newborn
baby?".  His was apparently a quick wit.

Gary