----- Original Message -----
From: "David M Harland" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2001 2:02 PM
Subject: Re: More jolly Space Station news

think!

If I told you what I REALLY think of the Station, this site would probably
get yanked off the Web.

Actually, though, it's quite possible to conceive of a Station that would
have been far more defensible -- namely, one made of a series of similar
self-contained modules that could be attached to each other to enlarge the
Station as, and only as, it seemed justifiable.  This design was worked out
in quite some detail by at least one high-ranking aerospace engineer (for
Lockheed, I believe) -- whose reward was to get fired by his company for
upsetting the gravy train.  And another company proposed an "Industrial
Space Facility" -- a small microgravity lab which could have been completely
assembled by two Shuttle flights, and then spend most of the time running
its experiments automatically with occasional manned visits to retrieve and
replace the experiments -- which NASA deliberately strangled lest it give
the Station too much competition.