----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Foust" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2001 6:46 AM
Subject: A reminder...

> I hate to play the role of the bad cop again, but I do need to remind list
> members that the purpose of the [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list is to discuss
> topics directly related to Europa.  This does include messages about
policy
> and politics, like the prospects for funding a Europa Orbiter mission, but
> those messages should be as closely tied to Europa as possible.  Many of
the
> most recent messages on this list have had nothing to do with Europa, and
> while they may be noteworthy topics of discussion, those discussions
should
> be continued in another forum.

I fully agree; the situation has gotten WAY out of hand.  May I suggest that
all off-topic space discussions (not having to do with other specific
planets, anyway) be moved to Jason Perry's "Astronautics Group" (which can
be entered at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/astronautics )?  As he says,
this group was created explicitly to "relieve the tension on the Europa List
of the many, and I do mean many, off-topic discussions."  From now on, I'll
send all of my own non-planetary space discussions just to that list (I've
been sending copies of all of them there already).  Coming up later: my
response to Rick Sterling's note of Oct. 9, 5:34 AM.

And, by the way, I do have a note coming up pretty soon for this group
specifically on Europa.