The power produced is a function of cable length so you send more than you
think you need and wind in/out as required.  So as long as we could
guesstimate the cable configuration within a reasonable margin, the rewind
button could cover unanticipated fluctuations.

Amen.  The tether and other gubbins would probably work out heavier than an
RTG but at least the Friends of the Earth won't be chaining themselves to
the booster.

This nuke issue is one which reasonable minds can differ.  I was just at
the European Mars Society conference and the French presenters are very
comfortable with presenting nuclear power options whereas others
nationalities readied their crucifixes/garlic/mirrors/wooden stakes at the
mention.

Power requirements are more acute in orbit owing to the thirsty radar
module so photovoltaic arrays are needed only for cruise where the tether
isn't likely to generate much juice.

If more power were available, you could get a better data rate.  The tether
itself would be a valuable science >and< engineering project.

I suspect more pixels will be lit up on this issue anon.

Paul

Paul Lavin

+44 (0) 7775 886420 mobile
+44 (0) 20 7291 0991 London office