A lot of good questions and comments have been given regarding the thickenss
of Europan Ice and how to penetrate it.

Here are some ideas researchers could take to determine ice thickness.
(Maybe this is not a new idea.) When we were first interested in going to
the Moon and the idea of impact craters covering to moon was still gaining
acceptance, a lot of researchers began using high velocity projectiles aimed
at various materials to see what happend during crater formation.  Did
anyone ever try ice as a target? Ice as cold as on Europa? Is there a way to
strucure an icy target with varying thicknesses to see what size of
projectiles and velocities are required to penetrate an icy layer on Europa
of varying thicknesses?

Does it necessarily follow that comparing craters on the tree Jovian
satellites will produce linear results as far as ice depth is concerned?
Maybe ice on Europa is different due to underlying temperatures, or density.
Ganymede is bigger, with more gravity and perhaps denser ice, less
gravitation stretching from jovian/satllite tides and therefore colder,
perhaps less fractured and "harder" than Europan ice. Callisto is colder,
formed under cooler conditions seems to have more rocky composition. It too
could be harder, denser ice than Europa.

We have talked about sending impactors to Mars and sent two which may or may
not have deployed, The intent was to have the imactor penetrate up to a
meter in rock or rocky soil.  How far into ice could we exoect a similar
probe to go?

It also appears, to me, a novice, that every method to penetrate great
distances in the ice will tend to concentrate silicates (rock) ahead of the
melting device as the freeed particles in the freshly melted icy will tend
to follow the probe through the ice and either wedging it in place or
blocking its vertical movement. What methods or designs are needed to avoid
this from happening?

Mickey Schmidt