Please tell me what is wrong with the name Icepick?

Larry

----- Original Message -----
From: Gail Leatherwood
Sent: Saturday, October 26, 2002 1:33 PM
To: Europa
Subject: Working Model

I seem to have volunteered to help organize and circulate the ideas we've come up with. I'll start working on a data base since I don't have anything else to do but sit around drinking beer and watching TV (yeah, right!)
I suggest we call the project "Hot Nose," since that's what the design seems to be suggesting. (No, no! Not "Snot Nose!" Good grief!)
I suggest that anyone with any ideas or other contributions simply keep posting them on this discussion group. I will capture them and begin organizing them into the various components like "Vessel," "Guidance System," "Electronics," "Communication," etc., depending on what we come up with. Then we can begin identifying sources of hardware/software and start hunting for what we need. John's note about the model submarine hobbyist web site is excellent--I've added it to my "Favorites" list. It has a ton of info on who's making and selling parts for model submarines. Check it out.
I also suggest someone get in touch with Nat'l Geographic, Smithsonian, and The Discovery Channel (another Byrne idea, not mine) to see if anyone would be interested in following the project. We might also check with the educational system to identify school science competitions. Each of us can check with our local high schools to see if any of them would be interested.
I'll try to keep up with the documentation of the project, for I think that will be critical for both our own developmental use and possible publicity.
Oh, a couple pesky questions: In whose garage will we build Hot Nose? And if we're scattered all over the US and other countries (like Hibai Unzueta in Spain) how are we going to get enough of us together to actually handle the assembly? Not insurmountable, but getting to Alaska might be like the gold rushers converging on the Chilkoot Pass.
OK, your turn.
Gail
PS: Thanks, Bruce for your encyclopedic reference on Icepick & related works. I envy your library!
GBL