In a message dated 10/29/2002 7:59:10 AM Alaskan Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

So it appears that there might be 2 camps forming...  John's vision of
melting thru thick ice and getting puplic support for Europa missions.  And
Bruce's suggestions of more technical projects that might lead to ideas
that NASA could possibly be used on an actual Europa probe.  Both ideas are
valuable to getting us to Europa.

Do any of the suggestions from Bruce sound like something a part of this
group could handle?  Is there any reason that we couldn't have 2 hands-on
projects going at once?

Julie Edwards

Thank you, Julie, for helping to make the division clear.  This is one central reason why we're suggesting calling the more Europa bound vehicle IcePIC, while the terrestial test model is called 'Proteus'.  It's a simple tool to distinguish efforts.

I see no reason why we can't have 2 projects going on at once.  One of the important things is to simply do something.  Perhaps by 'Proteus' stirring up a little activity, the IcePIC team can also benefit.

-- John