----- Original Message -----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 3:21 PM
Subject: Re: Bruce Moomaw, wet blanket

i'm not sure what "pluto survey" you're referring to,
but if it's the "new horizons" mission, i recall
reading somewhere that congress added money to nasa's
budget this year for the mission - something like $100
million.  or was i mistaken?

You might be on point here.  I'd like to hear more about this.
Approximately one year ago, to my recollection, there was a big stir on the
website when the Pluto mission was cut for budgetary reasons.  The trouble
is, Pluto is on an elliptical orbit, and at its closest approach to Earth
right now.  Another 20 years, and the window of opportunity passes, as Pluto
again flies high into its orbit and completely freezes over for another 200
years.
____________________

You guys have not been following my Illustrious Career.  In my secret
identity as a writer for "SpaceDaily" ( www.spacedaily.com ), I've been (to
my own astonishment) a central figure in getting the Pluto mission
uncancelled after NASA cancelled it.

One inside source at the Applied Physics Lab, which is in charge of New
Horizons, says my August 2000 article was what first gave them the idea of
reworking the CONTOUR comet probe design for Pluto (which still looks like a
good idea despite the failure of the original CONTOUR, which was probably
due to a freak flaw in its separate solid-motor kickstage).  Regardless of
whether that's true, my article definitely did focus widespread attention on
the possibility of reworking an existing spacecraft design to fly the
mission relatively cheaply.  NASA, although I didn't know it at the time,
was actually threatening any scientist or engineer who proposed that overall
idea with cutting off all their research grants, because His Majesty Dan
Goldin was furiously opposed to any Pluto mission -- but after Simon
Mansfield and I unintentionally belled the cat with that public article,
NASA was forced to put out the proposal for competitive bidding.  And after
that competition produced a design that NASA admitted was acceptable -- and
the planetary science community made it clear this summer in its "Decadal
Survey" report on future Solar System exploration that it very much wanted a
Pluto mission as soon as possible -- both houses of Congress did indeed
override the publically declared wishes of both NASA Headquarters and the
White House, and provide $105 million this year to start the New Horizons
project for launch to Pluto in January 2006 (arrival in 2015-16, probably
before the Big Freezeout, followed by flybys of several smaller Kuiper Belt
objects).

It seems very likely that this money will indeed be included in the final FY
2003 NASA budget after the House-Senate budget negotiations, and it also
seems unlikely now that the White House will veto it -- NASA is already
starting to make conciliatory noises about New Horizons, despite having
previously fought it tooth and nail.  The one thing that could zap it at
this point is the imminent report on the possible causes of CONTOUR's
failure -- if it turns out that the Applied Physics Lab was seriously
negligent in designing or testing CONTOUR, it could reflect badly on its
ability to manage New Horizons.  But that too seems unlikely at this point.

So, if this mission flies, it will be to a large extent the personal doing
of Little Old Me.  And NASA's new declared intention to put out its other
expensive "New Frontiers" Solar System missions for competitive bidding was,
in turn, largely inspired by the Pluto probe competition.  So be nice to me,
or I'll strike you all with lightning.  I tend to brag about this whole
extraordinary chain of events because (A) it's probably my one and only 15
Minutes of Fame, and (B) I still can't believe it actually happened,
starting only a year after I started writing for SpaceDaily.

By the way, the most recent of my articles on the Pluto probe also mentions
the current status of Europa Orbiter, as follows: NASA and the White House
also cancelled it this year, but the House (though not, as yet, the Senate)
reinserted $40 million to continue JPL's technical studies of the mission,
to maintain the possibility of launching it some time around 2010.  Europa
Orbiter presents serious problems because it has indeed turned out to be a
technologically complex mission and its cost has now ballooned to an
estimated $1 billion -- way above the current $650 million cost cap for New
Frontiers missions.  But the House also agrees with NASA's planetary
scientists that that cost cap should be made more elastic to allow the
occasional flight of more expensive planetary missions -- and the Decadal
Survey strongly urged that it should fly before 2013 despite its high cost.
(The House does think that JPL has done enough technical work already on
this mission that it should be left in JPL's hands, rather than being put
out for competitive bidding like the other New Frontiers missions.)  It will
be interesting to see if Congress ends up ordering next year that Europa
Orbiter, despite its high cost, should become the second of the New
Frontiers missions, in which case it could indeed fly in 2010-11.  (Also,
the Decadal Survey recommends that instruments should be added to it to
analyze and map the non-ice chemicals in Europa's surface, which has been
another of my long-time pet causes, although I didn't have anything to do
with this change.)

So here are the relevant URLs (although I've done a whole series of about 7
or 8 articles on the strange Perils of Pauline saga of the Pluto probe):
My August 2000 article that started the ball rolling (though I didn't know
it at the time):
http://www.spacedaily.com/news/pluto-00c1.html

My two most recent articles on Pluto (and on Congress' other changes in the
NASA budget):
http://www.spacedaily.com/news/outerplanets-02m.html
http://www.spacedaily.com/news/nasa-02f1.html

The Decadal Survey Report on the best form for NASA's Solar System
exploration program through 2013:
http://www.nationalacademies.org/ssb/newfrontiersfront.html
(This report is crucial reading for anyone interested in space exploration.
Be warned, though, that it runs about 450 pages.)