Wow

Here I am, looking at back e-mail, and I get a chance to complain again about science reporting in the US.

At 11:59 AM 11/5/2003 -0500, LARRY KLAES wrote:

Worlds in Collision: NASA, White House Play Planetary Politics

http://www.space.com/news/nasa_bush_031105-1.html

For those hungering to move humanity to move beyond the confines of Earth orbit, the words from U.S. President George Bush are clear and decisive: "Back to the Moon; back to the future. And this time, back to stay. And then a journey into tomorrow, a journey to another planet: a manned mission to Mars."

This was spoken as part of the 20th anniversary "celebration" of the first moon landing. I was in the Soviet Union when Bush said it. One of the two papers, Izvestia or Pravda, had this speech and the anniversary as front page news, and devoted a full-page spread to this and Apollo 11 within the paper. This was a big deal. These were generally about 10-sheet newspapers. There was a lot of talk in Russia about big-time space cooperation with the US for a joint Mars mission and this looked like the start of it. When I got back to the US, people remembered that there was stuff on July 20 about the moon landing but few heard this quote, and fewer cared.

Gregg