From: Gregg Geist
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 8:34 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: NASA and White House Play Planetary Politics

Wow

Here I am, looking at back e-mail, and I get a chance to complain again
about science reporting in the US.

At 11:59 AM 11/5/2003 -0500, LARRY KLAES wrote:

>Worlds in Collision: NASA, White House Play Planetary Politics
>
>http://www.space.com/news/nasa_bush_031105-1.html
>
>For those hungering to move humanity to move beyond the confines of Earth
>orbit, the words from U.S. President George Bush are clear and decisive:
>"Back to the Moon; back to the future. And this time, back to stay. And
>then a journey into tomorrow, a journey to another planet: a manned
>mission to Mars."

This was spoken as part of the 20th anniversary "celebration" of the first
moon landing.  I was in the Soviet Union when Bush said it.  One of the two
papers, Izvestia or Pravda, had this speech and the anniversary as front
page news, and devoted a full-page spread to th! is and Apollo 11 within the
paper.  This was a big deal.  These were generally about 10-sheet
newspapers.  There was a lot of talk in Russia about big-time space
cooperation with the US for a joint Mars mission and this looked like the
start of it.  When I got back to the US, people remembered that there was
stuff on July 20 about the moon landing but few heard this quote, and fewer
cared.

Gregg

==
You are subscribed to the Europa Icepick mailing list:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sincerely

James McEnanly

Do you Yahoo!?