It would be possible to construct a safety shielding system similar to the
Trans-Hab inflatable space station module.  That is constructed of layers
of Nomex, Nextel, and Kevlar cloth.  The sandwich is made of seven layers
of these fabrics and has been show to withstand impacts of 17,000 MPH.
These also compress rather well.  Now if you have two layers of this
material separated by a mylar layer One compressed near your core, and the
other expanded and ready to take impacts.  In the of chance of a debris
impact, you could expand the inner layer and essentially reconstitute a
safetey shield.

This is a simplistic distillation of how the materials work.  I believe
NASA has granted an exclusive use of the technology to Bigelow Aerospace
for building space hotels or something.

Joe Latrell