  1) Re: (FAQ?) DC vs. AC
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: (FAQ?) DC vs. AC
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Curtis 1231C Heatsink
        by "Patrick Maston" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: (FAQ?) DC vs. AC
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) OEM Connectors, Relay sockets and Fuse holders
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: OEM Connectors, Relay sockets and Fuse holders
        by Mark Farver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: OEM Connectors, Relay sockets and Fuse holders
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: OEM Connectors, Relay sockets and Fuse holders
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Twike, pricey?, similar products
 10) Re: Wet Rudman regs
 11) Re: Wet Rudman regs
        by John Lussmyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Motor Trend, EVs in November Issue
        by "Tom Shay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: (FAQ?) DC vs. AC
        by "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Wet Rudman regs
        by Gordon Niessen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: OEM Connectors, Relay sockets and Fuse holders
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: (FAQ?) DC vs. AC
        by "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: (FAQ?) DC vs. AC
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Alternative to Adapter
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Curtis 1231C Heatsink
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Alternative to Adapter
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Lightened Flywheel vs. Lightweight Flywheel?
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) RE: Alternative to Adapter
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) RE: Alternative to Adapter
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) li-ion boost pack musings - supercaps vs. lead acid?
        by Gary Graunke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) [Fwd: li-ion boost pack musings - supercaps vs. lead acid?]
        by Gary Graunke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) RE: [Fwd: li-ion boost pack musings - supercaps vs. lead acid?]
        by "Bryan Avery" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) RE: Lightened Flywheel vs. Lightweight Flywheel?
        by "Bryan Avery" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Tommy Thorn wrote:

Hi Victor,

you have a great website - that's how I found this list in the first place. However, you answer to #1 still left me with the "why" question (ie., why recommend DC for drag racing). From this thread it's become a bit clear, even if it seems there's no simple and obvious reason (other than money and complexity).

DC systems are preferred for drag racing because starting torque of a DC motor
is far higher than that of a similar power AC one, and the off-start torque is critical
parameter for a drag racer. AC motors have broader range for constant torque
(area under torque curve), so given the time AC driven drag race car would
catch up with DC one, but the rule to count only 1/4 mile does not allow to
realize that advantage of an AC - it simply has no chance to get to the
optimal RPM (withoug gearing) before the end of the track.

But realize, this is only the cost issue - the fact is you can find any power
motors, DC or AC - from not enough to too muchg size, so other systems
become your limitations (battery, transmission,etc).
Two weakest systems (other than battery) are the motor (brushes/commutator)
and transmission (gears/joints). You just pick what you'd enjoy breaking first,
and let this be the weakest component - this may save the most expensive one.

Tommy Thorn wrote:

BTW, a suggestion to make your excellent site even better: some kind of date marked log would be good for a first time visitor.)

Thank,s point taken, I'll try to include dates next time I update the site.

I'd like to have/buy/build an EV, but it would have to have a 80-100mile range and capable of 80 mph (freeway commute). I imagine converting something light, like an MR2 or a Catherham 7, with an AC system running off Li Ion batteries. Is this even realistic?

Yes

And how much should I expect to spend?

Around $60k with $40-45k being the battery (today's prices), my guess.

Thanks,
Tommy

Lee, thanks for the explanation.  I have a 1981 Jet Electrica that I am
redoing to get it back on the road.  I have no idea what the current
draw will be.  My plan is to mount the controller in the opening where
the radiator would be on a gas car, with the heatsink plate facing the
front and a muffin fan in front of the heatsink.  I want to put the
heatsink and fan on first so I don't have to keep redoing the work.  It
gets very hot here (Las Vegas area) in the summertime and I think the
controller will need all the cooling I can give it.

Patrick

<snip>
Lee Hart wrote:

Now, for your EV. The size of the heatsink should be chosen based on
a)
how much motor current you run, and b) how much airflow blows over the
heatsink.

The motor current tells you how much heat the controller is dumping
into
the heatsink. This is the average current, not the peak. A small,
light
EV like a Geo Metro or VW Rabbit only draws 50-100 amps average. A
heavy
EV like a pickup truck full of floodeds draws 100-150 amps. The more
heat produced, the bigger the heatsink needs to be to get rid of it.

The amount of airflow determines how good the heatsink will be at
getting rid of heat. If there is no fan, you need a *huge* heatsink to
get rid of the heat -- it needs to be larger than the controller
itself!
If you have a powerful fan blowing over the controller, no heatsink at
all is needed.

You can mount the heatsink out in the wind, such as where the car's
radiator went. This will provide a modest airflow when the car is
moving; but you'll find it is not adequate when driving in slow
traffic.
You'll need a fan, just as they do for a regular car's radiator.

As an example, my LeCar EV has a Curtis 1231C controller. Motor
current
is about 100 amps average. The controller is mounted to a flat
aluminum
plate, about 12" x 24" x 3/16". A plastic cover and the fender well
forms a tube over them, and a 4" muffin fan blows air through this
tube.
This has been entirely adequate to keep the controller from ever
getting
any more than about 140 degrees F.

Conversely, a friend had a Chevy S-10 pickup with a 1231C. Its motor
motor current averages more like 150 amps. It needed a finned heatsink
about 12" x 20" x 2", with two muffin fans blowing air across it.

http://www.vigillante.com might be able to do what you'd want on lead
acid batteries.

--- John Westlund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Given Greener Energy's Jester, with its 150+ mile range
> extra urban cycle and 70 MPH top speed, I'd guess that it is
> indeed possible for a $15-20k price tag.
>
> However, I'm willing to bet the Jester's acceleration with
> the Thunderskies was rather dismal.
>
> A Caterham 7? They look great, but have the aerodynamics of
> a brick(Cd*A > 8.0). If you're going to go the Caterham
> route, investiage the Lotus 11 replicas(Westfield, ect.).
> The original Lotus 11 had an overall Cd*A better than a
> Honda Insight. I remember investigating this car and finding
> it had a frontal area of 11.5 feet square and Cd of .40,
> although another source had the Cd listed at .36 with same
> frontal area(One may have been the regular and the more aro
> the LeMans). A properly constructed replica would be similar
> in aerodynamics, but you'd probably need some means to
> fabricate a top for it(Reducing drag even more!). Glider
> weight would be < 850 pounds. Not sure on structural
> rigidity, but with li ions, and keeping the car under 1,600
> pounds, you may not have too much to worry about. But
> investigate this. It looks like it would make a great
> long-ranger AND have performance. The original Lotus 11 S2
> LeMans only had 100 horsepower, did 0-60 in < 6 seconds,
> weighed about 970 pounds, and topped 140. With a 70
> horsepower(or higher) AC drive, you'd have more than
> adequate performance with a < 1,700 pound curb weight, with
> with perhaps excellent range. Only tradeoff is
> practicality.(BAH! Who needs that!?)
>
> MR2s are very aerodynamic for a production car. A 5.9-6.0
> overall Cd is about as good as you'll find, barring classic
> supercars like the Porsche Spyder or recent fuel misers like
> the Honda Insight, or perhaps an old CRX HF. Best of all, it
> is going to be a much more predictable chassis than most kit
> cars. But you'd need a lot more batteries for the range you
> want, than with a smaller car like a Westfield kit car or
> something like it. Performance? Thunderskies are awful I
> hear. To avoid the ultrap hassel, best just to use as light
> a car as possible. The MR2 is almost as light as it gets for
> a glider, barring the MG Midget, Austin Healey Bugey Sprite,
> Triumph Spitfire/GT6, Porsche 914, Datsun 1200, or Fiat 850,
> all of those whose aerodynamic characterisitcs are not as
> desirable as an MR2. However, picking a Spitfire over an MR2
> would shave at least 400 pounds off weight, and the Cd*A of
> aSpitfire is about 6.5.
>

> Of course, if money is too tight, you could do a lead acid
> EV with 50-60 miles range(@60 mph) for 1/2 the price.
>

> All matters what your goals/constraints are.
>

> >I'd like to have/buy/build an EV, but it would have
> >to have a 80-100mile
> >range and capable of 80 mph (freeway commute). I
> >imagine converting
> >something light, like an MR2 or a Catherham 7, with
> >an AC system running
> >off Li Ion batteries. Is this even realistic? And
> [...]

=====

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

I am searching, and searching for nice OEM style waterproof connectors (2-5
wire 10-16 gauge), relay sockets which I can easily bolt into a nice
electrical box, and OEM blade fuse holders.  I have found **some** from
Bussman and Pico, but very limited selection.  I have been all over the
internet without much luck.  Any suggestions?

thanks
Don

See the New Beetle EV Conversion Web Site at
www.cameronsoftware.com/ev/

Waytek wire has nearly everything you need to do a "professional" wiring
job.  http://www.waytekwire.com  They don't seem to mind small orders
either.

I have never found a definitive source for OEM connectors, but
Volkswagon connectors and pins are actually very reasonably priced thru
the dealer.  (Or even cheaper through dieselgeek.com, amil order
Volkswagon parts outlet.  Mention AustinEV and that you're buying for a
Beetle EV and he'll probably cut you a deal)

Don Cameron [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I am searching, and searching for nice OEM style waterproof
> connectors (2-5 wire 10-16 gauge),

Contact Randy at CEV <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.  He uses and sells the same
style connectors as used by GM, etc.  I know he has 2, 4, and 6-wire
versions because I've bought a pile of them from him for my conversion.
;^>

> relay sockets which I can
> easily bolt into a nice electrical box,

This depends entirely on what relays you are using.  If you can get your
hands on a Digikey catalog, you can see what sockets they offer for the
styles of relays they carry; the online catalog is a bit useless for
this.

> and OEM blade fuse holders.

Bear in mind that blade type fuses are only rated for 32VDC.  Unless you
are adding fuses to the 12V system, you probably need to search up
holders for tubular 5x20mm or 0.25" x 1.25" fuses (at a minimum; since
you are planning an AC system, your pack voltage may push you into the
larger tubular fuses to get the voltage rating you need).

Mark - thanks: waytekwire is a godsend...  Just what I am looking for...

See the New Beetle EV Conversion Web Site at
www.cameronsoftware.com/ev/

Waytek wire has nearly everything you need to do a "professional" wiring
job.  http://www.waytekwire.com  They don't seem to mind small orders
either.

I have never found a definitive source for OEM connectors, but Volkswagon
connectors and pins are actually very reasonably priced thru the dealer.
(Or even cheaper through dieselgeek.com, amil order Volkswagon parts outlet.
Mention AustinEV and that you're buying for a Beetle EV and he'll probably
cut you a deal)

I'm sorry.  I think it's kind of silly to pedal a Twike.  With two big guys
huffing and puffing we got up to maybe 15mph.  I could see it as exercise or
getting home for sure albeit slow.  Very slow.  Lawrence Rhodes..........
From: "Bryan Avery" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Date: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:45 am Subject: li-ion boost pack musings - supercaps vs. lead acid? Hi guys,

I'm finally coming to terms with the fact that the 90Ah thunder-sky
li-ion batteries may not be enough to give me the acceleration I want all by
themselves, so I have been trying to run some numbers to get an idea of how
much improvement I could expect from adding a boost pack of either 1700F
supercapacitors (http://www.nesscap.com/prod/General/ESHSP-1700C0-002R7.PDF)
or 5Ah Hawker Cyclons
(http://www.enersysreservepower.com/cyc_b.asp?brandID=4).

I chose these size caps & batteries for comparison because both packs would
weigh about the same (~120 lbs.) and would conveniently fit perfectly into
the battery box under the rear seat of my car where the gas tank used to
reside. I'm still not sure if either of these is large enough to really
give the performance I am hoping for, but at least it's a place to start.

Using the equations on Victor's web page discussing his supercap project, I
have come to the conclusion that a pack of 148 1700F caps would result in a
65V voltage drop over a 10 second period @ 75A.

Is there any comparable mathematical equation I can use to figure the
voltage drop for the lead acid batteries? Is the voltage drop linear as
capacity decreases? At the moment, for the comparison, I am figuring 28
12V, 5Ah blocks for a total nominal voltage of 336V. So what's the best way
to draw a performance comparison between the lead acid and the supercaps?

-Bryan Avery

From: "Bryan Avery" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Date: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:45 am Subject: li-ion boost pack musings - supercaps vs. lead acid? Hi guys,

[...]

Thanks, Gary.  That's some good info.  More data in those files than my
brain can handle at the moment (It's been a long day). :-)  That gives me a
place to start though.

-Bryan Avery

The aluminum flywheels (at least the one I got) are a two-piece arrangement
with the steel outer ring gear portion riveted onto the aluminum body of the
flywheel.  I'm no expert, but I imagine this could have something to do with
the regulation, since I would think a solid one-piece flywheel would be less
likely to come apart at high speeds.  Of course, the advantage of this sort
of arrangement in a conversion is that if you want even less weight it is a
simple matter to drill out the rivets and cut the steel ring gear off of the
flywheel as I did.  No machining necessary.

-Bryan Avery