  1) Re: EVDL poll where do you live ?
        by "James F. Jarrett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: / MR2 power steering pump / on ebay
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) WVSL Poll Where do you live
        by Joseph Vaughn-Perling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) [ Re: EVDL poll where do you live ?]
        by W Bryan Andrews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: EVDL poll where do you live ?
        by "Tim Humphrey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Weep Holes
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: EVDL poll where do you live ?
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Electronic Parking Brake
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Solectria Force with NiMH batteries needs help getting on the road
        by shoko tanabe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: EVDL poll where do you live ?
        by "Jim Waite" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: EVDL poll where do you live ?
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Electronic Parking Brake
        by Bob Siebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: 50A 230V connectors, and Monsters..
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Interstate Battery
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re:  50A 230V connectors, and Monsters..
        by "Tim Humphrey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Drive your EV sideways
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: EVDL poll where do you live ?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 18) Re: EVDL poll where do you live ?
        by Ralph Merwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: EVDL poll where do you live ?
        by Steven Lough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Thanks :)
        by "Rmanzan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Galvanic Corrosion
        by "Patrick Maston" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: EVDL poll where do you live ?
        by "Patrick Maston" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: EVDL poll where do you live ?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 24) Re: Different kind of commute
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Avcon Adapter
 26) Re: Thanks :)
        by "Rmanzan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) EVDL poll where do you live ?
        by "Reinhard, Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: EVDL poll where do you live ?
        by Gordon Niessen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Re: Ideas for EV school visit
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 30) Re: EVDL poll where do you live ?
        by Nick Aronoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 31) Re: EVDL poll where do you live ?
        by cristin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 32) Re: Different kind of commute
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 33) Unsubscribe to EV discussion list
        by "Cameron-RR" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 34) Re: EVDL poll where do you live ?
        by Steven Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 35) Re: and Monsters..
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 36) Re: 50A 230V connectors, and Monsters..
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 37) Re: EVDL poll where do you live ?
        by Electro Automotive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 38) Re: EVDL poll where do you live ?
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 39) Re: EV digest 3899
        by Becky Moore-Poe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 40) Re: EVDL poll where do you live ?
        by Sam Uzi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 41) Re: Solectria Force with NiMH batteries needs help getting on the road
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 42) Shifting smooth again, but for how long?
        by Paul Wallace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Matthews NC, 28104

James Jarrett

Danny Ames wrote:

It would be interesting to find out how many different places and
countries EVDL members are in.
Who knows you may discover your neighbor is on EVDL.
I'm in Brisbane California USA 1 mile south of San Francisco.
A few of you I have met this way.
Cheers,
Danny Ames

Hello to All (and Steve),

Steve Clunn wrote:

> I've been working on the power steering for the nission 300zx all this
> weekend , and am finding that its taking a lot more power than I had though
> when you trun the steering wheel . I picked a motor that I though was rated
> about 1 1/2 hp 32v I ( looked like a better pick that the tread mill motor i
> also have) started with 3 to 1 ratio , now a 5 to 1 and still when the
> steering wheel is being trunned it slows the motor down to almost a stop ,
> I'm running it on 36v and am seeing 50 amp under load ,  so I'm looking at
> your e bay pump. any idea of the amps it needs to run on , at 12v this could
> be a lot .
> Steve Clunn

Shucks, Steve...I thought you read all of my posts! Maybe you just missed this
one from
just two months ago:

             Re: Has anyone fit an Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering Pump (EHPS)?
       Date:
             Fri, 10 Sep 2004 07:11:46 -0700
       From:
             John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
         To:
             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Hello to All,

Don Cameron wrote:

> I was reading the archives about power steering pumps and was wondering if
> anyone has actually found an EHPS unit (MR2 or Fiero) and fit it to their
> EV.

I wrote extensively about the MR2 unit I used in the now famous 'Red
Beastie'...perhaps
the archives don't go back that far. I may have been the first to use that
particular
unit.

> I am curious as to where they got the unit and how difficult is was to
> wire in to the system.

I found mine in a low mileage wrecked MR2, so the motor/pump system was 'as
new'. Back in
'97, I paid something like $110 for it. It was super easy to wire up.
In addition to its heavier gauge power feed wires, the MR2 pump also has a few
light gauge

control wires that interface to control module that can electronically vary
speed and
current, but I never got that module and simply used a small 100 A, 12V
continuous duty
'solenoid style' contactor to turn it on and off through its two heavier gauge
power feed
wires. The 3+ years I had this truck, and I believe to this day (it now lives
on the east
coast), the solenoid contactor and the MR2 pump have never failed and have
always worked
perfectly. Though saddled with a lot of weight on its front tires, the steering
effort of
Red Beastie was light and smooth, one of the nicest power steering 'feels' of
any vehicle
I've driven.

> Also I find it interesting that these units are quite small.

Yes, very compact.

> One web page indicated that the take around 15 amps at 12v.

Try again! As installed in Red Beastie, it 'idled' at around 15 amps, but
typically drew
25-40 amps during steering assists, and if one turned the steering wheel all
the way and
locked it one direction or the other, it pulled 50+ amps! In this heavy duty
electric
XtraCab Toyota truck (~5400 lbs. with its BIG pack of 40, T-105 batteries), I
had a beefy
Optima Yellow Top deep cycle battery as the 12V system's current reservoir, fed
by twin
DC-DC converters with a combined output of 70 amps. On dark rainy Pacific
Northwest
Fall-Winter-Spring nights, with the lights on, the defroster/heater blower on,
the wipers
going, and the Wayland custom stereo cranking away, heavy use of the power
steering would
pull down the usual 14+V system towards the low 13V-high 12V range as the
Optima would dig

in a supply the extra current needed. With the described full electrical load
scenario and

without that back-up supply from the Optima, the DC-DC's would have browned out.

Hope this helps.

See Ya......John Wayland

Agoura Hills, California (Border between LA county and Ventura County on
the 101 Frwy)

·     ____
   __/o|__\~ ~ ~
  `® -----®'---(=
http://www.SoCalEV.com

.. and here I thought I was going to be the only person showing up from
Indiana.

Indianapolis, IN

----- Forwarded message from "Bobby R." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -----

Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 06:39:46 -0800 (PST)
From: "Bobby R." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: EVDL poll where do you live ?
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Fort Wayne, IN

Bobby

--- Danny Ames <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It would be interesting to find out how many
> different places and
> countries EVDL members are in.
> Who knows you may discover your neighbor is on EVDL.
> I'm in Brisbane California USA 1 mile south of San
> Francisco.
> A few of you I have met this way.
> Cheers,
> Danny Ames

Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
www.yahoo.com

----- End forwarded message -----

Blossvale, NY

about 35 miles east of Advance DC Motors.

--

Stay Charged!
Hump

For those of you who have put a plastic sheet below the engine compartment
to aid in aerodynamics and to keep water out of the engine compartment, have
you had to bore small weep or draining holes in the plastic to let out any
water that did accidentally get in--for example, road spray that still got
in through the car's grill?  Thanks.

From: Danny Ames <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: EV SEND MSG <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: EVDL poll where do you live ?
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 19:11:09 -0500

It would be interesting to find out how many different places and
countries EVDL members are in.
Who knows you may discover your neighbor is on EVDL.
I'm in Brisbane California USA 1 mile south of San Francisco.
A few of you I have met this way.
Cheers,
Danny Ames

Bill:

The EV1 had a similar parking brake.

/Bob S.
On Monday, November 8, 2004, at 07:17  AM, Bill Dennis wrote:

I've been reading lately about a new type of parking (emergency) brake on
some cars, BMW and Audi for example. The brake does away with the cable
type system we're used to and replaces it with a computer controller system
activate by the press of a button. In addition, the system slowly releases
the break when you're starting on an uphill grade so that you don't have to
switch your foot from brake to clutch to keep the car from rolling
backwards.

--- Begin Message --- Somehow this statement made me envision Rich as Doc Brown in "Back to the Future". Hey Rich how long until we can get our hands on a Green Mr. Fusion!

From: "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 50A 230V connectors, and Monsters..
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 22:14:18 -0800

It's still cool to watch the lights dimm with every 10 amp command
jump.... And this is on a 100 amp 208 feed. The 200 amp feed.. will just let
me Dimm the whole Buiness park.

Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE! hthttp://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/

        Hi Jim and All,
--- "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hey all:
>
> Has any one ever used or have an opinion on an
> Interstate battery SRN-27 deep cycle Mega-Tron
> battery?  I have a car that it could work in, but
> would rather not buy a problem battery.  FYI - I
> would use 10 12vdc for a 120vdc single string.  Any
> assistance would be appreciated.

    I'm not sure about that particular batt,
Interstate rebrands other people's batts so could be
anything. What was it's price?
    You should be aware that 10 gp27 batts isn't going
to give you any range, 10-20 miles in most EV
conversions. And life may be short.
    What kind of EV are you doing, weight, motor,
controller, trans, makes a big difference if a batt
will work for you?
              HTH's,
                jery dycus

> Jim

Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
www.yahoo.com

Yep, that's what I'm waiting for....

I'm not getting an EV until I can have two point twenty one gigawatts of
charging power. So get going Rich, what the heck's taking you so long
anyway? ;->

--

Stay Charged!
Hump
"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right!" --Henry Ford

Actually more for forklifts, but I'm sure it could be
used for other low speed EV's, go to
http://www.airtrax.com/
click on the link to view the video.
Pretty impressive when the front and back wheels go
opposite direction and the forklift drives sideways!
Rod

San Jose, Ca
Steve Bischoff

Portland, OR, USA

Danny Ames writes:

> It would be interesting to find out how many different places and
> countries EVDL members are in.
> Who knows you may discover your neighbor is on EVDL.
> I'm in Brisbane California USA 1 mile south of San Francisco.
> A few of you I have met this way.
> Cheers,
> Danny Ames

Seattle Wa. just 1 mile NE of the University of Washington
--
Steven S. Lough, Pres.
Seattle EV Association

* LP8.2: HTML/Attachments detected, removed from message  *

Ryan,

Eventually, yes, the metal will corrode and the rivets will lose their
holding ability, but it will probably take years to happen.  If you're
going to keep the car for a while, it would be worth preventing this
corrosion.  Zinc Chromate Primer is used for this purpose on aluminum
aircraft assemblies.  If you've seen aircraft shows like Wing Nuts,
you've probably seen the green paint on the aircraft parts - that's Zinc
Chromate.  It's available from Wicks Aircraft Suppy at this link:

http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog/product_detail.php/pid=9209~subid=2290/index.html

If you use this, paint it on the side of one of the metal sheets that
will be touching the other metal sheet and let it dry before assembly.
Dip the rivets in the primer one by one right before you set them in the
holes.  This will form a film of primer between the two parts, helping
to prevent corrosion.

Patrick Maston
1981 Jet Electrica

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 11/6/04 9:11:08 PM >>>
Hi,

I've been using steel rivets in aluminum sheets.  While welding up my
electronics rack with my brother today, he told me that joining
aluminum
and steel can be a problem due to galvanic corrosion.  My question:  is

my car going to disinegrate if I use steel rivets in aluminum?  All the

rivets will be subject to the normal air humidity (low here in Utah),
but shouldn't have much other moisture on them.  I don't see much I can

do about the rivets - I could use aluminum ones, but then they would be

going through the steel that the aluminum sheets are being connected
to.

I'm hoping someone will just say "it's no big deal, don't worry about
it", but if it will be a problem, I want to do something about it now.

My electric-heater element casing will have steel rivets through it
regardless - I'm not ripping my dash apart to fix that problem :)

Thanks,

Ryan

The fastest-growing city in the U.S.: Henderson, Nevada.  5 miles south
of Las Vegas.

Patrick Maston
1981 Jet Electrica

Huntington Beach, CA   We have one EV dealership in town, Gorilla Vehicles, but
unfortunately, they just make ATVs.

Richard Kelly
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/474.html