  1) Fwd: Re: High current draw from floodies, was RE: Motor Amps, Battery Amps
?
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Pot box for Comutacar?
        by jon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Fwd: Re: MagneChargers on eBay
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: MagneChargers on eBay
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  5) Re: Fwd: Re: MagneChargers on eBay
        by Chris Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Li-Ion Batteries
        by "Ed Rowan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Anyone got a little pot?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  8) RE: Sealed PbA battery Options
        by "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Sealed PbA battery Options
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) 35 feet
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Motor Amps, Battery Amps ?
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: 35 feet
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: LRR vs. traction
        by "George S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Gear Shopping
        by Dragan Stancevic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Sealed PbA battery Options
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Fwd: Re: High current draw from floodies, was RE: Motor Amps, Battery
Amps ?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Motor Amps, Battery Amps ?
        by Nick Viera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Anyone got a little pot?
        by David Chapman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: Sealed PbA battery Options
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: Motor Amps, Battery Amps ?
        by "Markus L" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Motor Amps, Battery Amps ?
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Anyone got a little pot?
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Sealed PbA battery Options
        by "John Bryan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Spare Tires (getting OT?)
--- Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Yes, this will help. The key point is that a *reversed* cell will stay
> at less than 2v no matter how long it sits -- only charging will bring
> it back. A *dead* cell will bounce back up over 2v within a few minutes
> after the load is removed.

Newbie question: Whats the difference between a reversed cell and a dead cell?
Is a reversed cell
salvagable?

Dave Cover

I am looking for a Pot(entionmeter) Box for my Comutacar. I am in the
process of upgrading to a Curtis 1209 controller. I sure will be nice
having more than 3 forward "speeds". :-)

Does anyone have one to sell? Or, can point me to an affordable source?

Thanks,

Jon

--- Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hm. I'd be very interested in the floor chargers and I live on East
> Coast. Anyone want to split?
>
> Chris
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Sorry if this is a repeat, but I never saw my previous post. Anyone need 5
> > of
> > these?
> >
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7936173374

I'm in CT and trying to put together an EV. Could I use any of this for
charging a NiCad pack? Is
this only good for someone with a MagnaCharger equiped vehicle?

Dave Cover

<< I'm in CT and trying to put together an EV. Could I use any of this for
charging a NiCad pack? Is this only good for someone with a MagnaCharger
equiped vehicle? >>

Guess you could find someone selling the on-board part needed to complete the
circuit, but I've never seen *those* for sale on eBay! Without this part, no,
these won't work for anyone else.

I'm in CT and trying to put together an EV. Could I use any of this for
charging a NiCad pack? Is
this only good for someone with a MagnaCharger equiped vehicle?

Right. I have seen the MC sockets on Ebay once, not sure if the 220 computer was included (the brains of the show). Without that it's just a big half of a transformer.

I'm always on the lookout for another MC slot, as I want to put the Elec-Trak on inductive charge.

Looks like a Canadian company, Alternativ Canada is making EV's
with Lithium-ion batteries for lease.  Story is at
<http://powerelectronics.com/news/electric-vehicles-li-ion/>

The battery manufacturer, Valence Technology Inc. has a web page
at http://www.valence.com/ucharge.asp

They have some discharge curves comparing their product to lead
acid but I didn't see any prices so if you are interested, guess you
have to give them a call.

Ed Rowan

...for a Magura, that is! The potentiometer on my twist-grip seems to have a few
hundred k-ohms and doesn't respond to turning, so where do I get just this part?
Seems a waste to discard the rest of a perfectly good throttle.

Thanks for the info, Roger.

Roger Stockton wrote:

>The [EMAIL PROTECTED] = 50Ah C/2 *is* the manufacturer's
>spec. and is available
>on the Optima website.
>
>As I recall, it used to be [EMAIL PROTECTED] (=52Ah), but
>dropped to the
>present value at the same time as Optima downgraded
>the C/20 rating.

I've always been fairly critical of manufacturer's specs,
but I cannot think of any explanation as to how others can
claim certain ranges on their conversions other than that
the manufacturer's specs would be correct. But this goes
contrary to another set of data provided by a complete
expert in this field, who also happens to make an awesome
charger. :)

Whatever the case may be, it's good to know that worst case
scenario, I'll have about 25-27 miles per charge to 80% DoD.
I'm curious as to how the descrepancies between both data
came about, but I at least know under careful driving my
range needs can be met.

If my range happens to match the manufacturer's specs and
what others have claimed, it will be just another bonus. As
then I'll have decent range and decent performance, for <
$15k.

Roger Stockton wrote:

>The [EMAIL PROTECTED] rating is at 80F; obviously I didn't
>get the full capacity
>at 68F, but as I recall what I got was between 80
>100% of rated capacity
>(and this from the set of YT blems that I got from
>Ralph Merwin after
>he'd run them in his Prism until he couldn't make
>his commute any
>longer, and then pulled them out and left them sit
>in his garage until
>he got tired of tripping over them, not brand new
>batteries).

Those things must be very forgiving. Good to know, since
they are also expensive. I did come across posts in the
archives of people heavily abusing them and only getting
6,000 miles from them, but on the flip side I've seen posts
of people moderately abusing them and getting 5 or 6 years
life out of them. I also know of AC Propulsion's figures,
where a pack of 28 of them will last 30,000 miles before
they are delivering 80% of their capacity.

Roger Stockton wrote:

>The following Hawker data suggests the
>difference between 80F and 60F would not explain a
>difference between
>the ~0.5kWh spec'd and the 0.28-0.32kWh Rich is
>seeing

I just can't stop wondering where that difference came
about. The numbers you provide matches with what I suspected
before Rich gave me his numbers, and matches the simulations
I ran, and others' statements on their conversions. 1/2 a
kWh per module would mean some very good range. I'll wait
and see how it turns out.

Roger Stockton wrote:

>I believe the number John Wayland put on the list a
>long, long time ago
>was that YTs are good for about 40Ah C/1 in EV use.

That would also match what Bill Dube has seen in his
'Wabbit'. If this case happens to be the one when I have my
conversion running, that would be about 40-45 miles to 80%
DoD at 60 MPH, perhaps about 55-60 miles cycle range to 80%
DoD, maybe 30 miles with lead foot and driving like a
Maniac. I'll just end up expecting 20 miles usable range,
and if I get more than that, I'll be very happy.

Enjoy your vacation, and thanks for your words. I'll look at
the data whenever you place it up, but I'm in no hurry. It
will be a year or so before I need to purchase my battery
pack, which will be the last thing I buy.

Until now, I'll keep debating in my head whether to take
Optimas or Exides, and keep on looking for more information.
I've got plenty of time.

Also, to Reverend Gadget. I should have contacted you about
this, but never got around to it. About your Spitfire, I
found a nice 1969 Triumph GT6+, in running condition being
sold near my city for very cheap(Wont say how much or where
in case some lurker happens to figure it out and wants to
snatch it). It had already in it a Triumph TR6
transmission(without overdrive), TR6 rear axel, and TR6
engine. Body was in good shape, checked the rocker panels
and bulkhead with a magnet and they were excellent.
Breaklines and master cylinder worked great. Body in okay
condition, no bondo but some rust spots that will need
repair. Painted over bright yellow with a real tacky-looking
paintjob to make it half-assed presentable, but it's obvious
where the rust spots are as it wasn't unethically saturated
with bondo. Even got taken for a ride in it, owner claimed
0-60 in 6.5, seat of pants estimate seems to put it about
right there; it was just on par with my dad's Audi TT.
Unless someone grabs it before I do, I probably won't be
looking at shipping your Spit from Cali. The GT6 has a Cd of
about .32, this particular one weighs about 1,800 pounds as
is with its upgrades(Glider weight proably will be around
1,200 without bumpers or ICE parts since the TR6 engine
alone is about 350 pounds), so it could easily dip into the
140 wh/mile territory at 60 MPH with the right drag
reductions(Get the Cd down to about .27-.28 using basic EV
body mod techniques, without even needing to cover rear
wheel wells) and provide excellent range and acceleration.
With a fiberglass bonnet, doors, trunk, and lighter windows,
this may end up weighing less than the 156V Blue Meanie
while having a 240V battery pack(That's a big maybe, but
racers using fiberglass parts and full fiberglass body have
gotten GT6s down to the sub 1,300 pound territory! What I
plan to use will shave off at least 100 pounds, add to that
a severely stripped interior), assuming I get the chance to
mutilate this beautiful car like I intend. I'll see how
things go. Thanks for your offer of a free glider though.
Who knows how things will turn out.

 Rich Brown had twin Raptors, twin 8s and a two speed tranny.
We have not heard much from him in a While..
Me Wayland and Rich Brown have actually raced a lot together. John Bryan,
always had number that I felt were a bit too good.
The trick for good results is to keep the tranny, and use the gears, this
lets you make the best use of the power on hand. Directy drive CAN work,
with effort.
Rear drive and gears and 1200 amps can make quite a impression.
10 Deg advance, hand lapped in brushes, polished and stoned to a mirror
finish, and 1000 amps will be nothing on that 9" that it can't handle.
We have used the 170 volt arc limit that Otmar recomends. Add motor voltage
until it arcs, back it off. I have dumped 1300 amps into a 8 with the GP
controller, since it's mine...
The 8" had arc signs at over 1300 and they had rock damage by then. Simply
put, with 264 volts on hand you should a gone for the Zilla 2K. You can just
keep the motor amps railed for longer.
Loose about 1000 lbs of car weight... That helps imensily.

From: "Rich Rudman"

> John Bryan, always had number that I felt were a bit too good.

    And I always thought my numbers were embarrasingly bad!
Hey Rich, you beat me in a side by side race at Woodburn....

Here's the numbers from Aug 29th 1998, I was in the left lane,
you were in the right.

                    Ghia            Goldie

R/T               .623            .842
60'                2.415            2.9
330                7.518          7.710
1/8                11.865          11.882
MPH            55.46            58.7
1000            15.742           15.528
1/4                19.067          18.649
MPH            67.52             71.62

    I've always thought those were numbers best kept to myself,
they don't seem particularly good to me. The only reason my
numbers are so poor though, is that I'm limited to 380 battery amps.

<<I don't. I have *never* carried a spare in any of my EVs, for nearly 30
years now.>>

I continue to be amazed when people say this.  The last time I saw this
discussion, I said to myself "I can't believe these people have good luck with
their tires!  I don't know anyone that does!"  Later that *very* same day, I
got a
big ugly screw stuck in a brand new tire.  A few weeks later, a piece of an
old clothes hanger penetrated another tire.

About a month later I had a massive blowout, so bad that the tread came
entirely loose and was flapping around hitting my rear fender.  I still have
black
marks and scratches on the car from the incident, in addition to a broken
antenna.  Oh, this was a fairly new tire.

I always carry a spare, if not two, and I always carry all the equipment
necessary to change the tire on the road, in addition to a flashlight, and even
an
electric pump that I can plug into the cigarette lighter.  Yes, flat or blown
tires happens to me that often, and I've been driving for over 20 years now.
And no, I don't drive on tires until they are threadbare, and no I don't buy
tires from a junkyard.

Sam