  1) Rudman regulators in scooters with 4 batteries.
  2) Re: AC Propulsion questions
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: EV Differentials and Drives
        by "johnk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Do you have pictures of that 300zx?
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: attack on clean-air requirements
        by "Charles Whalen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) race fans
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Most people wouldn't admit this...
        by Ryan Bohm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: EV eff, was, Re: reduce a cars electric-power usage by 70 percent
        by "S. David Lalonde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Most people wouldn't admit this...
        by Mark Farver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Most people wouldn't admit this...
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Most people wouldn't admit this...
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: OT: Gas powered cell phones - for real
        by Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Finally joining the game...
        by Nick Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: EV Differentials and Drives
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Troubleshooting the ADC
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Troubleshooting the ADC
 17) In wheel/ hub motors
        by "James A. Eckman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) PFC popping breaker
        by Ryan Bohm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: EV Differentials and Drives
        by Michael Hurley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re Bill Dube Crimper idea
        by JCT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Smart EV -Glider,   was   EV eff,
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Re Bill Dube Crimper idea
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- I modified on of my 8v regulators back up to 12v use. Thanks Rich for the 10k R3 ohm spec. on the Mark ones. Two regs were enough & I got the batteries under charge to register 14.28 to 14.41. This is using the regs on the higher voltage batteries and using them to balance the voltage to bring up the weaker batteries. Took about 10 minutes of fiddling but it seems to work well. Hope this saves the batteries. The charge voltage at float seems to be 28.6 with the Currie/EV Warrior style fast charger. I'll let it float for a while then take it for a spin and see if the weaker batteries come back up to the strong ones. I'm doing this because with no regs I noticed two batteries getting weaker and running out of charge quicker. The Vego has undervoltage warning lights. Lawrence Rhodes...
Why on Earth would I get a bunch of my friends to buy the most expensive
most over, Hyped  drive train on the market???
There are MANY more affordable solutions than a ACP dirve.
Most are also more powerfull, Cheaper, and can be maintained by mortals that
don't have a shop full of techies for support.

For the price of 10 of ACP drives, I could design one that is smaller, and
cost 1/4 his prices.  And it would lay rubber in a manner that only the DC
drive can right now.

I rather put the Megga Bucks into something that can change the way we all
think about EV drives.

It's not doing what other say you can not, It's doing the hard stuff that
others won't, that changes the world.

If you are going to throw money around get GM to sell thier AC drive out of
the EV1. It was ready for the mass market, Then GM changed the market to
SUVS and
Professional Grade Earth movers...

#1.  That terrifies them.  They know the ICE's days are numbered.  They
also
know their hybrids display nowhere near the stunning technical excellence
that Toyota's do.  Honda has been soundly beaten in the clean vehicle
world,
which I'm sure they find very difficult to bear.  They aren't in a
position
to guide the market now.  I think they're sitting back to see what
happens,
which means staying out of the CA lawsuit.  Preserving their
earth-friendly
image is a welcome side benefit.

Taking the long view, they can work on climbing back to the top with
either
FCEVs or BEVs.  BEVs are relatively simple, FCEVs are very complex.  I
think
their choice was as predictable as it is disappointing.  If anyone could
have made production BEVs accepted in the marketplace, it's Honda.  They
didn't.  Even though the EV+ already existed, and was accepted as one of
the
best consumer vehicles, EV or ICE.

We need to face facts.  BEVs will not come from the major automakers.
China
has a shot at changing things if they can improve quality.  I'd really
like
to see a small American company do this.  Heck, *I'd* like to do this,
and
I'd start tomorrow if someone came up with funding today.  Seriously.
Rick
Woodbury is ready to do this *right now*, with a fully tested prototype
and
all documentation.  All he needs is funds for crash testing.  We're so
close, yet I fear it won't happen.

That's almost exactly my take, but Honda isn't just about ICE's. I would say they are more a "vehicles and toy" company, yes, currently their primary mode of power is from ICE's though as you mentioned they do make probably one of the best fuel cell vehicles, and have made various other types of power systems in other vehicles.

I especially hate to see Toyota's Prius "taking all the glory" while
publicly fighting clean vehicle regulations.  Honda probably doesn't
have any problems with the regs because they can already meet them.

It would just be handy for say a project like the Tango to have such
an amasing crash test facility.  It's also not as if the IMA isn't
already a slick piece of hardware, I would think that it would be
trivial for them to isolate the IMA/ICE from a 50-100kW IMA to the
transmission and go to Lithium making their Insight/Civic/Accord
into PHEV-20's! That would put them back on top of the Hybrid game.

Perhaps Honda is just waiting for the domestic guys to get hooked into
their silly over complex "Synergy" type systems.  Only to jump in
with a much simpler PHEV that like their existing Hybrids will still
opperate even when the batteries get old and even fail entirely.
Probably not like you said even they are probably hooked on the service.

L8r
 Ryan

Hey race fans-
Do any of our EV drag races offer any cash purse winnings?
I just got the latest Steam Automobile Bulletin in the mail.
In this issue were the results for the annual 1/8mile steam drag races.
The races were held this year in Berrien Springs, Michigan.
Race organizers rounded up, in advance, purse donations of $2500 for the
drag races.
Consequently, cash prizes were issued for the top 7 places, with 7th place
receiving $50 for not even finishing!
First place steam drag racer this year achieved an 11.15sec 1/8th mile time
and $1000 purse.
Second place of $500 went to the So Cal team and their steam dragster with
11.51sec.
The board and members of SACA (Steam Auto Club of America) have supported
hosting these annual races and rounding up private donations for winning
purses in order to encourage innovation and investment by its members to
push the state of the art in light steam propulsion.
So this got me thinking about the NEDRA and other EV drags----what kind of
winning purses are being offered?  What incentives are being offered?

Myles Twete, SACA/NW President, steam and electric enthusiast

Well maybe.  But I have no pride :)

I replaced my rack and pinion while doing the 200sx conversion.  When I drove
it :), it had a terrible vibration in the front end.  I figured it had to do
with not getting things aligned properly when installing the new rack and
pinion.  So today I made arrangements with the shop around the corner to do an
alignment.  I even got gutsy and told about the conversion, and asked if I
could get a discount (they said yes!).

When I got there to drop it off, the manager wanted to see the car...of course!
  He was a EE major - bummed that he's working at a tire shop.  It was a blast
showing it off - just like everyone has said.  When he finally got around to
talking about the alignment, he began wiggling things and probing around.  He
said, "I think your tire is about ready to fall off".  Keep in mind I had
promised myself I'd do a full inspection of the vehicle before I drove.
Well..I must have gone a few shades of red remembering that I had not done a
very thorough inspection in the interest of actually driving.  He ran and got a
torque wrench, and sure enough, I had not tightened my lugs on the drivers
front tire.  How embarrasing!  He was understanding, and said "well, you're an
engineer, right?".  Ha ha.  He was really cool though.  After tightening things
up, and checking the other tires (they were all okay), he said to go for a ride
and see if that fixed the problem.  He waited around to s!
 ee me take off, and I confirmed that I didn't need an alignment.  I'll be
going back there though when I do.

The only loose ends now are my power steering, air conditioning which I don't
need for a few months, and my heaters (which I will need).  The heaters are
easy - I'm just waiting to put together a snubber circuit on the P&B relays.
Lee - a 10 ohm resistor with a .33mFd cap rated appropriately?  What power
rating on the resistor?  I could put my schooling to work and figure it out
myself, but I need to relax my brain cells from finals :)  1/4 watt work?  Oh,
and I need to assemble the battery voltage monitor unit I designed, as well as
the high voltage tach driver that has been discussed on the EV Tech list.

But...it drives so nice!  I dropped the Zilla Low battery voltage setting to
85, and wow!  It's like a whole different car while accelerating!  It
moves!!!!!!  I haven't timed in yet in the 0-60, but when I get things figured
out good, I'll go out late at night and play around to get numbers.  Then I'll
award the best guess with that CafeElectric T-shirt.  I hope I win :)  It's not
real fair - I can tally up everyones guesses and average them out.  But I'll be
fair and shoot something off - 12.5.  If anyone still wants to put in a guess,
let me know.

To sum up this long post - if you are doing a conversion, or planning one,
learn from my mistake.  *DO* a thorough inspection of the entire vehicle
*before* taking it out on the road.  It could save you from embarrassment, and
much worse - damage or injury.  Man, I was dumb!

-Ryan

I don't know about the Lupo, but the Mercedes Smart is selling in Canada
starting at CDN$16,500 (or about US$13,700 but you cannot export to the US).
I saw that the Vancouver city engineering dept. has one, not sure why, maybe
for parking enforcement.  There are quite a few around town, but I've heard
there is a great big waiting list and a number of months wait to get one.  A
local collision repair shop bought one for a loaner but the owner of the
shop likes it so much he is using it to commute.  It is an efficient diesel,
averages 4.2 litres per 100 kilometres, so that is about 56 mpg.
http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/mbccustom/smart/getsmart/
http://www.thesmart.ca

>From the website:
"The average fuel consumption of the smart cdi is a thrifty 4.2 litres of
diesel per 100 km. And, it emits a mere 90 g of CO2 per kilometre.

The smart cdi makes a real contribution to climate protection, but to see
many of the its advantages you may need to take a second look. The smart
does not need expensive, energy-intensive, lightweight materials, such as
aluminium or magnesium, to achieve structural soundness. Instead, the
efficient design of the 160-kg steel tridion safety cell provides solid
protection to the car, which weighs just 730 kg.

The way we drive can further lighten the load on the environment.
Over-revving the engine doesn't increase driving pleasure -- it just
increases consumption, as does driving with under-inflated tires or carrying
unnecessary weight. To this end, the smart is equipped with a gear shift
indicator that helps you select the most economical gear."

Using this vehicle with bio-diesel or as an electric vehicle donor would be
even better.

David

S. David Lalonde / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Liion Power Products Inc. / http://www.liionpower.com
Li-ion & NiMH batteries for electric cycles & more!
http://liionpower.blogspot.com
Ph: 604 880 1928