  1) Re: Heater/defroster ideas?
        by Robb Zuk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Troubleshooting the ADC
        by Nick Viera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Gas powered cell phones - for real
        by "John Bryan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Warning: The Hydrogen Economy May Be More Distant Than It Appears
        by "Brown, Jay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: PFC popping breaker
        by Andrew Letton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: Gas powered cell phones - for real
        by "johnk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Troubleshooting the ADC
        by Nick Viera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Troubleshooting the ADC
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Smart EV -Glider,   was   EV eff,
        by Emil Naepflein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) (fwd) Re: NEON- Bombarding Transformer Power
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Heater/defroster ideas?
        by richard ball <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: PFC popping breaker
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: The 300zx is alive!!
        by "Steve Clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: (fwd) Re: NEON- Bombarding Transformer Power
        by Doug Weathers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: (fwd) Re: NEON- Bombarding Transformer Power
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Heater/defroster ideas?
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) simple and cost effective
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: simple and cost effective
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: simple and cost effective
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: (fwd) Re: NEON- Bombarding Transformer Power
        by Derrick J Brashear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re:  eCycle, was Re: Real or Memorex?
I use a "Vidal Sasoon" hair dryer.  Large, higher quality hair dryers
tend to be quieter than small ones.  It runs well off my 96 Volt pack.
Most hair dryers, popcorn poppers, etc. have motors that run fine on
DC.  I switch it off by pulling its plug out of a standard outlet
that's mounted in the cab -- I taped up the dryer's own switch because
it would get fried otherwise.  Use two hair dryers if it's desperately
cold out -- It's amazing how great that hot air feels if you pump it
directly inside your coat :)

If the heat doesn't keep up with the window fog, crack open a window
to let out some moisture.

Robb

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 23:30:28 -0600, Robert MacConnell wrote:

>Greetings fellows, I'd be interested in hearing about what folks are using
>to heat and particularly defrost their vans. My van is currently equipped
>with it's original(?) German made gasoline heater which doesn't work. I'd
>like to replace it with something electric. Thanks for any input! Robert
>MacConnell.

> We need a 12 jumper cable test to find out if both field pair
> are in parallel.

I got a chance to do a "12 volt" test. Unfortunately, it wasn't much of
a 12 volt test as I never saw 12 volts with the motor running.

See, the only spare 12 volt battery I have around is a hurt flooded one
which my Wrangler did a good number on. So there was some bad voltage
sag. I did two tests, with the Tach sensor ON and the motor hooked
through the shunt.

Try 1:
Motor RPMs: 1000
Motor Amps: 52A
Volts: 10.60

Try 2 (after charging the battery for awhile):
Motor RPMs: 1100
Motor Amps: 51A
Volts: 11.32

Both times, the current went up to 100-110 amps for about 3 seconds,
then gradually dropped to a constant current when the motor reached
speed.

So, I have no clue if this is helpful info or not. I don't have anyway
to feed it more power unless I hook it up to the new battery which is
currently in my Wrangler (I may be able to do that tomorrow)...

Thanks,
-Nick
1988 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 EV
http://Go.DriveEV.com/

Chris Tromley wrote:

> People would argue that cell phones "should" be powered with toxic,
> polluting liquid fuel requiring highly complex support systems and regular
> maintenance, simply for the benefit of being able to go two weeks without
> refueling.

    I'm actually in the process of designing a gas-powered phone right now.
I recently discussed some of the preliminary design details with Dave
(Battery Boy) Hawkins. It won't actually work, it's primary design goals are
to emit vibration, noise, and smoke. It's going to be a movie prop.

    I just had a thought.....say you're visiting with some anti-EV folks,
maybe over the holidays. After proudly arriving in your EV, and enduring
the usual jabs, jokes, and insults, you could get even by taking out the phone
while sitting in the living room and politely asking the host:

You: "say old chap, do you mind if I make a call?".

Old Chap: "Why certainly, go right ahead"

    you fire up your phone and it eventually starts!

Old Chap: "Turn that blasted thing off!!!"
You: (calmly....stalling): "Why?....you said I could make the call?....
        (shouting into the phone now): "What'd ya' say? I can't hear ya',
        yer gonna have to speak up now, I'm gettin' hard of hearin' fer
        some reason". ........"you don't say"...."hmm"

        Then cupping your hand over the receiver, you proudly tell
the steamin' mad old chap how it'll run for two weeks without
refueling.

...John

Just got my new Popular Science magazine and low and behold they have a GREAT
article debunking many of the myths surrounding the "hydrogen economy".

The article is also on their website at:
http://www.popsci.com/popsci/generaltech/article/0,20967,927469,00.html
<http://www.popsci.com/popsci/generaltech/article/0,20967,927469,00.html>

The ten items they talk about.

1. HYDROGEN IS AN ABUNDANT FUEL
2. HYDROGEN FUEL CELLS WILL END GLOBAL WARMING
3. THE HYDROGEN ECONOMY CAN RUN ON RENEWABLE ENERGY
4. HYDROGEN GAS LEAKS ARE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT
5. CARS ARE THE NATURAL FIRST APPLICATION FOR HYDROGEN FUEL CELLS
6. THE U.S. IS COMMITTED TO HYDROGEN, POURING BILLIONS INTO R&D
7. IF ICELAND CAN DO IT, SO CAN WE
8. MASS PRODUCTION WILL MAKE HYDROGEN CARS AFFORDABLE
9. FUEL CELL CARS CAN DRIVE HUNDREDS OF MILES ON A SINGLE TANK OF HYDROGEN
10. IF NOT HYDROGEN, THEN WHAT?

Jay

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I bet you meant to send that directly to Rich, but since you sent it to the list, a couple of ideas:

1.  Is there by chance some other load also on that breaker?

2. Breakers that are old or abused (from having been run hot for a long time and/or from having opened inductive loads many times) can open at less than their rated current. Maybe try running the charger off of another circuit of the same rating and see how it behaves.

good luck,

Andrew

Ryan Bohm wrote:

Hi again,

My house wiring is apparently no match for my wonderful PFC-20. I keep popping the breaker with the amps on the charger at only about half. It's a 20 amp breaker. Any ideas?

-Ryan

At last years, Pulsed Power Conference there was a paper given on using
a 1"X 1" Wankle to spin a small generator to provide power to a laptop.

I can find the paper after the Holidays, if anyone wants it.

John K

> People would argue that cell phones "should" be powered with toxic,
> polluting liquid fuel requiring highly complex support systems and
regular
> maintenance, simply for the benefit of being able to go two weeks
without
> refueling.

    I'm actually in the process of designing a gas-powered phone right
now.
I recently discussed some of the preliminary design details with Dave
(Battery Boy) Hawkins. It won't actually work, it's primary design goals
are
to emit vibration, noise, and smoke. It's going to be a movie prop.

    I just had a thought.....say you're visiting with some anti-EV
folks,
maybe over the holidays. After proudly arriving in your EV, and enduring
the usual jabs, jokes, and insults, you could get even by taking out the
phone
while sitting in the living room and politely asking the host:

You: "say old chap, do you mind if I make a call?".

Old Chap: "Why certainly, go right ahead"

    you fire up your phone and it eventually starts!

Old Chap: "Turn that blasted thing off!!!"
You: (calmly....stalling): "Why?....you said I could make the call?....
        (shouting into the phone now): "What'd ya' say? I can't hear
ya',
        yer gonna have to speak up now, I'm gettin' hard of hearin' fer
        some reason". ........"you don't say"...."hmm"

        Then cupping your hand over the receiver, you proudly tell
the steamin' mad old chap how it'll run for two weeks without
refueling.

...John

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

> Can't this be diagnosed by disconnecting the "good" field coils and
> seeing if it even spins the motor in neutral?

But this can't be done without opening the front end of the motor,
right? I'm not sure I want to do this myself.

Anyways, I did find a shop here that specializes in DC motor repair. I
explained the situation to them, and they said if I bring it to them
they will test/diagnose it for $30.

Since I want to replace that melted S1 terminal, I'd have to remove the
motor anyways. So it looks like I'll be in the garage a lot this
weekend...

Thanks,
-Nick
1988 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 EV
http://Go.DriveEV.com/

On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 18:03, Seth Allen wrote:
> Can't this be diagnosed by disconnecting the "good" field coils and
> seeing if it even spins the motor in neutral?
>
> Seth
> On Dec 14, 2004, at 1:30 AM, Rich Rudman wrote:
>
> > GOT IT !!
> > This is the kind of experience that is painfull, but makes you a much
> > better
> > EV tech guy.
> >     Yea.... I fear that there is still damage inside the motor, The
> > leads
> > are copper welded and area real bitch to work on. you need a copper
> > welder
> > to do it right. Solder is not good enough.
> > Having one 1/2 the fields lit up , and getting REALLY hot is not going
> > to be
> > a pretty sight, But it fully explains the massive lack of power. In
> > essence
> > you have a 4.5 inch motor... aka 1/2 the 9. Buck up Ma Boy , you may
> > still
> > have twice the motor when you see the light of day on this Opps!.
> >
> > We gotta name ya for it.....All us Evers get named, and it stings when
> > we
> > do....
> >
> > Plasma Boy, Darn near burnd up his White Zombie.....
> >
> > This is exactly what you needed to find, something simple but Ugly.
> >
> > Q Rod to get you a set of field coils. It's better than a whole motor.
> >
> > Oh yea Ohming the motor is rather foolish. A good motor is 0.004 ohms,
> > You
> > need to do a 12 volts  100 to 200 amps of current, then measure the
> > instant
> > amps and volts, Then calculate the ohms for that.
> > We need a 12 jumper cable test to find out if both field pair are in
> > parallel.
> >
> > If one field set is down your burshes should look a LOT different on
> > the set
> > the is carring curren than the ones that don't Hopefully there is
> > minimal
> > damage to the set that was doing all the work.
> > Thank your start that you only had a 600, The 1200 would have blown a
> > single
> > set of coils up in just a few minutes.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I dunno a think about ADC motors, but I was guessing that you could disconnect S2, connect S1 and see what happened? Assuming A1 and A2 are "armature 1 and armature 2" and s1 and s2 are series (field)1 and series2, and circuits 1 and 2 are in parallel, (all assumptions here! I am not an ADC guy!) then you could try this without removing anything but wires. You already inadvertently intermittently removed S1, right? Maybe try all this with a 12V battery?

Seth

On Dec 14, 2004, at 10:41 PM, Nick Viera wrote:

Hi,

[...]

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:39:54 -0800 (PST), jerry dycus
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Probably get at least $1,500 for the diesel or can you
> get it in gas for less?

In germany the cheapeast SMART costs 9.000 EUR, about $12.000. Someone
has talked to dealers about SMART without motor and this would about
$10.000. And you can get used SMARTs easily for less than $5.000.

>      But they won't beat a well designed EV or a plug
> in , 8hp/1000lbs hybrid ever in energy use/mile.

May be a Hybrid SMART will be available:
http://www.solarmobil.net/bilder/smart-hybrid-600b.jpg

Emil

Someone on the neon signmaking mailing list posted this.  I thought I'd
pass it along for the UberGeeks among us :-)

-----------
I poked around on the web and found a great shareware program for drawing
meter faces.  You enter in all the size parameters, choose your FSD, tics,
etc. and it prints out a good meter face.  The shareware version lets you
print out meter faces.

http://tonnesoftware.com/meter.html

---
John De Armond
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://bellsouthpwp.net/j/o/johngd/
Cleveland, Occupied TN

i don'tknow if this is any help but here in the uk you can buy 12V heater /
defroster units for kit cars for around £30 and they work great  i've used them
before.

Robb Zuk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:I use a "Vidal Sasoon" hair dryer. Large,
higher quality hair dryers
tend to be quieter than small ones. It runs well off my 96 Volt pack.
Most hair dryers, popcorn poppers, etc. have motors that run fine on
DC. I switch it off by pulling its plug out of a standard outlet
that's mounted in the cab -- I taped up the dryer's own switch because
it would get fried otherwise. Use two hair dryers if it's desperately
cold out -- It's amazing how great that hot air feels if you pump it
directly inside your coat :)

If the heat doesn't keep up with the window fog, crack open a window
to let out some moisture.

Robb

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 23:30:28 -0600, Robert MacConnell wrote:

>Greetings fellows, I'd be interested in hearing about what folks are using
>to heat and particularly defrost their vans. My van is currently equipped
>with it's original(?) German made gasoline heater which doesn't work. I'd
>like to replace it with something electric. Thanks for any input! Robert
>MacConnell.

Regards
Richard

1. Connect a clamp on ammeter to the wire coming from that breaker in the
fuse box before you turn on the charger. You might find there is a load
without the charger being on.

2. Turn the charger up one amp at a time and let it sit for a minute at each
setting. See if the ammeter is reading 20 amps before it opens.

3. If the ammeter reads over 20 amps, the breaker is reasonably healthy. If
it opens under 20 amps, replace it with a new one.

4. If the circuit is shared with another load, you can time share or add
another breaker dedicated to your charger.

My EV shared a breaker with my motorhome and my 1 horse air compressor until
I split the circuit to three separate breakers. Now I can run the motorhome
air conditioner, run air tools on the compressor and charge the car all at
the same time.

My 20 amp replacement breakers were only $2.50 last time I bought one. Now
they are all they way up to $3.56
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0873043574.1103090587@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccehadddgdgdhilcgelceffdfgidgll.0&CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=Super%20Categories/Building%20%26%20Remodeling&MID=9876&pos=p03

Making sure your breakers are healthy is good practice.

Joe Smalley
Rural Kitsap County WA
Fiesta 48 volts
NEDRA 48 volt street conversion record holder