  2) Re: Extra parts
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Light terms
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  4) Re: Venturi Fetish
        by James D Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Gas vs. Electric
        by James D Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: U of W project, was Venturi Fetish
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: LED Head Lights?
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) HID for EVs (was Re: Venturi Fetish)
        by UWStudent EVProject <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: sam's club agm "nascar" batteries
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 10) Re: servicing wet cells and remaking traction cell
  interconnects
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: U of W project, was Venturi Fetish
        by "Tom Shay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: OT - FYI:  Free online image hosting links - Sparrow!
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: OT - FYI:  Free online image hosting links - Sparrow!
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: LED Head Lights?
        by "Markus L" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) First prius thoughts
        by Chris Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: sam's club agm "nascar" batteries
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Vas: RE: LED Head Lights?
        by Seppo Lindborg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: LED Head Lights?
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: LED Head Lights?
        by "Raymond Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Extra parts
        by "Steve Clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: U of W project, was Venturi Fetish
        by "Steve Clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) RE: LED Head Lights?
        by "Karl Nichols" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Wire burnout on the Power Wheels
        by "Mark Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: wire cutting machine (OT)
        by Jim Coate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: U of W project, was Venturi Fetish
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: LED Head Lights?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) GM Sequel (tease)
        by "bholmber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: The Amazing Little Hawkers.
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Re: The Amazing Little Hawkers.
I got my warp 9 from netgain LLC :  http://www.go-ev.com/
here you will find specs and mounting info

George Hamstra is very good at answering emails.

Sadly I don't have a digital camera, yet, I really need one.

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.6.9 - Release Date: 1/6/2005

>Sadly I don't have a digital camera, yet, I really need
>one.

A 1 Megapixel camera can take 640x480 pics.  File size wise,
that's good for uploading to the net.

Low camera prices:

http://www.pricewatch.com/m/mn.aspx?i=73&f=1&g=2

Reviews and info:

http://www.dpreview.com/

An example pic I took with a cheap 1 Megapixel camera:

http://img50.exs.cx/img50/672/control18hh.jpg

Tried to figure out what terms are most pertinent, but still unsure:

http://www.ledtronics.com/pages/tech4.htm

>> "General Motor's EV1 was one of the first steps into
>>the zero-emissions arena, but it failed miserably
>>because of its impractical nature and limited range."
>
>What the heck does he mean by "impractical nature"?
>Maybe he's referencing how impractical the EV1s are
>sitting in the desert crushed ;o)

 The EV1 was also a 2-seater, which is fine for a dedicated sports car
but not for a "mass transportation appliance" of the Camry or Explorer
variety.

>>"While the Fetish is a sexy-looking car with a
>>track-ready pedigree, its sky-high price tag and
>>extremely short range make it nothing more than an
>>interesting toy..."
>
>Uh, short range? 200 miles... How far does this guy
>commute?

 With electrics, you have to ask "200 miles at what speed?" That bit
about the HID lights pulling down the range suggests you won't get 200
miles out of the pack at 100 mph, more like 20 mph.

David Thompson

>You have that right, many people will say they get 30 mpg, which was the
>last time they went on a long distance drive.

 Therein lies the distinction. Is "long distance" 20 miles in a day or
200 miles?

>Also you can buy a ICE for a investment.  How would you like to have bought
>a car back in the sixties, have less than 100 miles on its, run the engine
>on a test stand for 15 min every month and sell it for 10 times the price
>you paid for it.

 Nice if you have a time machine to tell you which affordable cars today
will sell for big bucks thirty years in the future.

David Thompson

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Stephan from the U of W project said: "Well the infernal combustion engine will be out of the Fiero tomorrow and we plan to put in either one Warp 11" motor or two Warp 8's any recommendations? The main thing we are shooting for is a low zero to sixty time but we are not simply making a dragster."

This is a no brainer. Two eights will be more efficient and produce more horsepower than a single eleven given the same batteries and comntroller. Ask me, ask John Wayland, ask Otmar Ebenhoech, ask Bob Schneeveis.

Roderick Wilde
"Suck Amps EV Racing"
www.suckamps.com

On 9 Jan 2005 at 17:48, Markus L wrote:

> Luxeon Power Light Sources emit up to 325 lumens of white light, as
> much as 790 lumens of red light ...

An $8 H4 halogen lamp emits 900 lumens on low beam, and 1500 lumens on high
beam (and that's barely enough for these middle-aged eyes ;-).

You might think that the halogen lamp is drastically less efficient.
Certainly it may not be as efficient as an LED, but before making any
assumptions you might want to check the LED's specs.  Most of the white LEDs
I've seen have been, surprisingly, only slightly more efficient than an
incandescent lamp.

The reason LEDs perform so well in battery flashlights is that they let the
battery go flat gracefully.  Unlike incandescents, they don't draw ^more^
current as the battery voltage and their operating temperature decline.
That, and the fact that most of them really don't put out very much light
and so are very frugal with the battery's energy.

I think that fitting LED taillights or even LED headlights to an EV would be
cool, but honestly, it's a trivial energy savings.  I may do it someday, but
it's ^way^ down the priorities list.

1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea rider 36vdc
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.

                               -- Emma Goldman

James D Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>That bit about the HID lights pulling down the range suggests you won't get 200
>miles out of the pack at 100 mph, more like 20 mph.

Yeah I saw that too. I have been under the impression that HID headlights would
be a good thing for an EV. I thought that they were brighter but drew less
electricity than standard Halogen bulbs? Am I missing something? Is there a
reason (other than price) why HID would really negatively affect an EV more-so
than normal headlights?

-Stephen

Back to the Sam's Club Batteries,...

They are made by Exide and come in 2 sizes, one 34 number and the other is I
think a 37 number size. I have ask before here but no one seems to really
any thing about them. Sams also have the Blue marine exide type some places.

Robert Salem

> Speaking of Optimas...at work we have bought 7 optima yellow tops over the
> years.  I have noticed some label differences between them.  I assume the
> number melted into the case is the date code.
>
> D/C         AH          Reserve          CCA
> 0112        65            124                750
> 3322        55            120                750
> 2130        55            120                650
> 3105        55            120                750
> 2130        55            120                650
> 3105        55            120                750
> 0112        65            124                750
>
> Can anyone decipher the Date Code?  Make sense of the rating differences?
> Tim
>

> >I was in Sam's club and saw that they are selling agm batteries now.  They
> >were black and had 6 cylinders, much like the optimas.  Is this a generic
> >version of the optima?  Does anyone have any information on these?  They
> >were only $100.
> >
> > Mike Barber

--- Begin Message --- At 06:58 AM 9/01/05 -0700, you wrote:
If you become very accomplished in this art form, it something you can add
to your Resume.

Roland

Hi Roland (and all)

Not as silly as at first seems - the local Exide branch ships batteries 200km each way to have interconnect work done. Might be a good addition to skills offered.

James
I'm interested in the Warp 11-inch motor but haven't yet found
detailed information about it.  Your comment, Rod, comparing
the 11-inch motor to two 8's suggests that details about the 11-inch
are available.  I'd like to make comparisons myself of the 11-inch
Warp to other motors.  Where can I find the information I need?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>