  1) Re: LED Head Lights?
        by Bob Brooks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Wiring problem appears...thanks snow :(
        by Ryan Bohm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: U of W project, was Venturi Fetish
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Individual battery monitoring
        by Tom Hudson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: LED Head Lights?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  6) Re: Saving the environment
        by "Charles  Whalen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Individual battery monitoring
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Battery Research: Too Little, Too Late?
        by Lee Dekker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Wiring problem appears...thanks snow :(
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Individual battery monitoring
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: LED output
        by Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Wiring problem appears...thanks snow :(
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Saving the environment
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Legal?  : incandescents vs LED, efficency is relative measurement
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Vectrix vs eCycle
        by Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) 11" Warp Specs
        by UWStudent EVProject <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Radio Interfeence
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Fw: Hybrid Cars
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Radio Interfeence (dead raptor)
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 20) Re: Fw: Hybrid Cars
        by keith vansickle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Lee;

Here is a press release from Luxeon.

They are quoting 120 Lumens from the 5 watt devices and 30 lumens from the 1 watt devices.

I could not find any measures of illumination on luxeon's website.

Markus L wrote:

I found the following numbers at http://elektrolumens.com/Luxeon.html
Luxeon Power Light Sources emit up to 325 lumens of white light, as
much as 790 lumens of red light, and comparable brightness in other
colors, depending on configuration.

Ok, that's a start. What product produced these numbers? How much power did it require to produce this much light?

Numbers expressed like this are still nearly meaningless. "I am up to
100 years old" is technically true, but it tells you nothing about how
old I actually am.

Hi everyone!

Well, the thick slush and snow here in northern Utah brought out a design flaw in the 200sx. I'm kicking myself so hard. I have all my wiring and electrical components (except for my vacuum pump which is still pretty well protected) in a weatherproof box under the hood. The only other exception to this is an Anderson connector on my 2/0 main cables and the Ferraz/Shawmut fuse. These are both along the bottom side of the chassis. I put the fuse there because I had seen pictures of blown fuses before, and didn't want that in my electrical box to rain down on the Zilla, or in the passenger compartment. Well, it turns out there would have been a great place to put it in the battery area of the passenger compartment. The Anderson connector was placed where it was because it was the first easily accessible place closest to the electrical box into which the 2/0 cables run.

The snow and slush got all over the connector and fuse - caking them in it. I didn't notice anything wrong until I pulled in and went to charge. Then my GFCI tripped immediately as I plugged in. My guess was that either the fuse or the Anderson connector were making a path to the chassis ground. I spent some time cleaning them off, and make a few attempts to plug back in. When I got them cleaned off pretty good (they were still pretty wet), I finally got it to charge without tripping the GFCI.

It will be a major pain to make the change now. I will probably have to buy more cable and a few lugs. And it will probably take several hours. It would have been so easy to do it correctly from the start. I just didn't think it would be a problem. So anyone out there planning a conversion, keep your main cables nice and sealed - i.e. don't put any connections where they can get plastered with snow, ice, or water.

Now for a question - what should I do? Now that school has started again, I just don't have the time to re-work things. I plan on doing it in the summer. I'm thinking of getting some sort of plastic sheet and protecting it that way.

Another question - what is the best way to measure a path to ground? My first thought was checking the resistance. My cheapo Wal-mart multimeter shows a huge *negative* resistance (like in the 100k region) in one polarity, and infinite in the other polarity. But if I measure the voltage drop from different places along the battery pack and the chassis, I get a voltage drop. It's never as high as the pack voltage, but was pretty close before I removed any snow. Even after the GFCI wasn't tripping, I could still get a 50 or 60 volt drop from the high point in the pack and the chassis. It seems like it should be tripping. Can anyone explain why I'm getting the readings I'm getting? Is this the best way to tell if my pack is isolated from the chassis? This worries me. I'm sure there is still moisture on the fuse and Anderson connector, which is probably why I'm still getting a voltage drop. Since V=IR, if I'm reading 50V, then the resistance could be 200k and the current flowing would be .25mA....right?

Thanks,

Ryan
--
- EV Source -
Zillas, PFC Chargers, and other EV stuff at great prices

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Breakage is the mechanical red-light of racing,
If you red-light once in a while you are pushing the edge, if you red-light a lot, you are loosing.

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.6.10 - Release Date: 1/10/2005

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I've been off-list for a while but am now back, and I'd like to know if anyone knows of a solution for my application.

I've got a set of Evercel batteries for my Solectria E-10 truck, to replace the lead-acid group 24's in there now. I am working on getting the time to rework some things on the truck so it can accomodate them with proper ventilation, but before I install them, I want to be sure I have a battery monitoring system set up for the pack. There will be 24 batteries, 2 strings of 12, for 144V. I want to be able to keep track of temperature and voltage on each of the batteries at all times, both while charging and discharging. Isolation between the modules is critical.

I want to have the temperatures and voltages logged into a small onboard computer, so the temp/voltage sensors would have to have some sort of computer interface capability. This would be important to make sure I comply with the charging guidelines for these batteries, and it would enable me to make sure I catch any problems before they get out of hand. Primarily, if the battery temperature is too high, I want the system to inhibit charging until the temperature drops to a safe reading.

Are there off-the shelf sensors that will do this? If not, can someone point me to someone who would be able to help implement this system? I'd appreciate any feedback.

-Tom

--
Thomas Hudson
http://portlightstation.org -- Light Station Restoration http://klanky.com -- Animation Projects

> Lee;
>
> Here is a press release from Luxeon.
>
> They are quoting 120 Lumens from the 5 watt devices and 30 lumens from
> the 1 watt devices.
>
> http://www.prweb.com/releases/2002/4/prweb36940.htm
>
> Bob

I doubt a press release will impress Lee, but it does show my household 11
watt/600 lumen CFs are almost twice as efficient at "seeing the road" light, if
not as good in the "being seen" department.

Hi Matt,

The only e-bike I can think of that comes close to what you are looking for
is the Vectrix scooter (www.vectrixusa.com), which has a 62 mph top speed
and up to a 70 mile range.  It has a 3.7 kWh NiMH battery pack which takes
about two hours to charge.  But it is not available yet.  Later this year
Vectrix will start the process of tooling up their 31,000 sq. ft. European
factory in Wroclaw, Poland, where they will begin producing 500 bikes a
month late this year.  The bikes will go on sale in the UK late this year or
early next year.  The UK distributor is Alex Bamberg, who is based in
Hampshire.  He has two websites: www.autoft.com and www.zevltd.com.  The
price throughout Europe will be around 6-7,000 euros, similar to
petrol-powered maxi-scooters of comparable performance, such as the Suzuki
Burgman 400 and the Yamaha Majesty 400.

I took the Vectrix scooter for a long test ride last year (including with my
wife on the back as a passenger) and was pleased with the bike's
performance, which lived up to the company's claims.  I was one of the first
prospective customers in the US to sign up on Vectrix's website to reserve
an order.  I had been under the impression that Vectrix would start US
production and sales sometime in 2006, but the company recently revealed in
an audio interview on EV World (www.evworld.com) that they have now pushed
back their US launch until 2007 or 2008.  Bummer!  But the European launch
is apparently still on track for late 2005/early 2006.

Otherwise, if you are not willing to wait a year, your only alternatives
right now are the many moped-class electric scooters with a 30 mph top speed
and 30 mile range, such as those from EVT, Oxygen, Swap, Peugeot, etc.  They
cost around 2-3,000 euros.  There are two retailers in the London area which
sell these moped-class e-scooters: www.ebikecentral.co.uk and
www.harishs-autos.co.uk.  There is also a retailer in the central England
area of Nottingham and Leicester which sells these e-scooters:
www.granbyscooters.co.uk.

There is also one other possibility that I am aware of, although you will
again have to wait until later this year.  Jukka Jarvinen of FEVT
(www.fevt.com) in Finland is planning to launch a commercial venture to
increase the range (currently 30 miles) of EVT 4000e moped-class electric
scooters (www.evtworld.com) by swapping out their stock lead-acid batteries
for Thunder-Sky (www.thunder-sky.com) lithium-ion batteries.  As I
understand it, this will still be a 30 mph moped-class scooter, but Jukka
claims that he has achieved a range of over 100 miles with the TS li-ion
batts.  I believe that Jukka is now in the final stages of development of
his battery management and charging system for the TS li-ions, so the
modified EVT 4000e li-ion scooters with a 100+ mile range might be available
for sale in Europe sometime later this year.  I would guess that the price
might be around 4,000 euros.  You should contact Jukka at www.fevt.com to
check on all of this.  As you said that you have been lurking here for ages,
I guess you probably read the very lively discussions on this list over the
last few weeks about Thunder-Sky li-ions, wherein a number of different
viewpoints and opinions were expressed.  If you missed those threads, I'd
encourage you to go back and look through the archives so that you can get
an idea of the pros and cons of using these Thunder-Sky li-ions (just as
there are pros and cons and trade-offs with any battery choice).

Good luck,

Charles Whalen

----- Original Message ----- From: "spidercats" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>