  1) Test run at 35 degrees below zero
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: save the EV Rangers
        by "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Rush Limbaugh thinks EVs are Slow
        by "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Ken Trough in Edmonton newspaper
        by Michael Hoskinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: EA Adapter plate reliab. & torque rotation ?s
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Help Field excitation
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: Help Field excitation
        by "Markus L" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: EA Adapter plate reliab. & torque rotation ?s
        by "Steve Clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: EV Pusher Trailers?
        by "Nick Viera" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) More info: EA Adapter plate & RPMs
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: EV Pusher Trailers?
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Charging Trade-offs (was: The Amazing Little Hawkers.)
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Ranger vigil changed!!
        by Sherry Boschert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: U of W project, was Venturi Fetish
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: GM Sequel (joke)
        by Fortunat Mueller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Rush Limbaugh thinks EVs are slow
        by Sherry Boschert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Coilovers for Ghia's, bugs, was    Batts in Ghia's,
        by keith vansickle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Ken Trough in Edmonton newspaper
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) How to take action, EM, EV truck?  (was: RE: save the EV Rangers)
        by "Chris Tromley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: U of W project, was Venturi Fetish
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Ken Trough in Edmonton newspaper
        by Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Made my first run in my EV at -35 degrees.  Yesterday it was 10 above and
than it drop a 45 degrees difference.  Made runs before with my old
CableForm controller, which screams at you at this temperature.  The old
charger also screams at this low temperture. I am wondering what they are
trying to say.

Before I left, the cab is preheated 30 minutes before I leave. The heater
power is transfer from the onboard invertors to outside commercial power.

The batteries so far do not need any heat.  My battery boxes are double
insulated with 2 inches of poly foam with 4 inches of air space between the
foam layers.  The battery temperature is at 65 degrees!

When I got into the EV, the inside temperature is above 80 degrees! The
Zillas did not make a sound.  The motor and motor controller cooling fans
stay off.  The Zilla water coolant pumps stay off.  The whole car is frost
free and do not need any defrosting.

I normally drive to a Café which is about a mile run trip to my home.  When
I got there, there were rolls of giant big rigs and large pickups with big
foot tires, mostly all running there engines.

I park next to one of these rigs, turn off all power systems and went into
the Café.  When I came in, one of the guys ask me, DID YOUR CAR START THIS
MORNING,  I said, I don't have that problem, because I remove my starter, do
not need it.  Also I remove the fuel pump, water pump, radiator, and exhaust
systems.  The reason some of these rigs do not start, is that they have all
this stuff.

Later, when I went out to my EV to come home, It fire up just fine,  no
screaming sounds, no frost on the out side of the windshields, just only
some condensation on the inside.

When the inside of a vehicle is warmer than the outside and let standing for
about a hour, the windshield will lightly condensate.  If you hit it with a
very hot heater defroster, it will than cause frost to build up on the out
side.  So I adjust my temperature on the defroster to just a little above
the ambient temperature and let it build up slowly in temperature.

The under dash cab heaters are separated from the defrosters, but aids in
defrosting all windows by circulating the heat from the bottom to the back
and up and down the windshield and back thru the heater units.

Now, I will have to wait, until it gets to 110 degrees above zero to test
out the Air Condition systems.

I'm not going to bring my own politics to the list, and
others have said mostly what I would have said should I have
done so.

But something needs to be said about the EV1 that wasn't
mentioned in this topic. To be fair, GM may have faced a
lawsuit due to fires related to the Magnacharger bullsh*t GM
pushed. However, one could argue that the charger could have
simply been replaced. It wasn't even originally meant to be
in the car to begin with, and is one of the reasons Cocconi
left GM, aside from them bitching about his inverter design
using MOSFETs as opposed to IGBTs. The car was supposed to
be built on the KISS principle to keep costs down.

Somethings must be said about the NiMH  battery. That
chemistry typically had problems with charge retention, and
the one used in the EV1 by Ovonic had problems overheating
in 90+ degree weather. Other than that, it may have been
viable. I was flipping through the archives and someone
mentioned that at 20,000 cars a year, the NiMH battery in
that production volume would have been a mere $150/kwh(Or
about a $4,000 pack cost, with 100,000+ mile life). *VIABLE*
to replace the ICE, and grant a 150+ mile high speed 70-80
MPH highway range. 150 miles is good for Interstate travel,
given what Doug Korthoff has done with 100-120 miles range
on his EVs. Just a few minor inconveniences, basically
double your travel time. But still viable. Most of your
driving won't be on long trips anyway. Too bad that battery
was bought out by an oil company. We should at least be
using them in our conversions by now.

I'm not at all a fan of Rush, but maybe Wayland could change
his bigotry by taking him for a ride in Blue Meanie...

I remember finding an old broadcast of his doing a google
search, and the subject was hybrid-electric autos. He
mentioned his "twin-turbo" that did 0-60 in like 4.6 seconds
and weighed about 6,000 pounds. My guess is either a Bentley
or some tuned Cadillac Escalade. His roly-poly ass couldn't
fit in anything else, me thinks. :)

Through the broadcast, he kept chastizing hybrids and their
drivers, and then kept blabbing on and on about how they
shouldn't be offered because people want choice and don't
want to be forced to buy a slow, cramped, tiny car. He's
right, to a point, that people won't want a slow wedge, but
his comments on hybrids are far off, perhaps they were
intentionally that way even. But he is very wrong when he
thinks people don't want alternative fuel cars(Cars that
don't use any gasoline or petrol diesel), and even more
wrong when he mentions that technology is not viable to
replace oil. So many examples abound to contradict his
claims.

Maybe if someone would build an electric muscle car, like an
electric GTO or maybe an electric Plymouth Fury, his
argument wouldn't be worth anything; it isn't at all worth
much as it stands. Someone was building an electric GTO, but
he hasn't updated his page in years.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Imagine my surprise when I opened the "Driving" section of this morning's paper to find a picture of Ken Trough proudly displaying his e-scooter. The article, which was reprinted from NY Times, also made good mention of visforvoltage.com "perhaps the best clearinghouse for information of PEVs". The final paragraph, as a take-home message:

""I like personal electric vehicles because they don't directly challenge the automotive manufacturing base", he said. "It's very subversive technology. It gets people thinking about electric vehicles. Once people find out what a good product it is, what it can mean for their lives, in their living spaces and what it can do for their transportation budgets and quality of life, I think it is a no brainer. You get more smile per mile.""

This in the Edmonton Journal, in the heart of Alberta, Canada's oil patch.

Way to go, Ken!

Speaking of smiles per mile, yesterday morning I spent a grueling couple of hours in the dnetist chair. When I got back in the Mazda I found to my horror that there was no power. Arrgh! I actually started to walk home, which probably would have taken 45 minutes, but it soon was obvious that this was not a practical option, since it was -28C and windy (that's -18F). Hey, maybe I had drained my little 12 volt battery by leaving the headlights on. Sure enough, that's what I had done, but it did not recover enough in 30 minutes to pull in the main contactor. The dentist office was in a mall, so I went to Radio Shack and bought a couple of cheap lantern batteries and some jumper wires. I turned the key on, then touched my lantern battery jump starter to the aux battery terminals. I was rewarded with that blessed clunk of the main contactor pulling in, and with it the dc-dc that would quickly restore my little aux battery to life. When I got home I rewarded it with a nice long 1 amp top-up. Out at the cottage I have a cheap 12 volt flashlight with a small agm. I think I'll wire in a 12 volt plug to it so I can jump start from the cigar lighter.

Mike Hoskinson
Edmoonton

Bob Bath wrote:
> Thanks, this is helpful.  Unfortunately, the sound is
> not present until under significant RPMs, or high
> load.  These conditions are not met when on a 12V run.
>  Otherwise we'd have noticed the problem before
> installing in the vehicle...

Then use 24v. Better have a tach to check the real rpm though. On 24v no
load you can easily over-rev the motor!
has!" -- Margaret Mead
--
Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

> I have a need to build a simple field regulator to supply up to 48 volts to
> the slip rings on the 3ph.generator I use to charge the current
> eliminator.There are 240 and 120 v single ph and 240 3ph.The circuit seems to
> take less than
> 2 amps.15 volts no load 48 volts full load.

Hi Dennis,

For something simple to provide 15-48 volts DC at 15 amps, driving the
highly inductive field, I think I'd use a variac and rectifier. It is
manually controlled, of course.

If you want something smaller and cheaper, but that will require some
building and experimenting, I'd use a phase-controlled motor speed
controller (the kind used in corded electric drills, treadmills, etc.)
has!" -- Margaret Mead
--
Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

Lee,

I was toying with adding an electronic field-control circuit to the
Elec-trak E20. I wanted to achieve two things:
1. smoother field weakening
2. stronger field than what 36V gives me to be able to slow the
tractor using regen. breaking.

I believe the field current to be less than 4A @ 36V, I have only
36V available from the batteries. So I considered using a variable
(small 100W) DC-DC from 36V to maybe 6 - 48V. Are (cheap) DC-DC
(chips) available that are adjustable and can do step down as
well as step up?

Any experiences on how strong I would have to make the field to
achieve an effective breaking/regeneration force to slow down
the tractor.

The implementation could be to have the break switch not only
cut armature current but also short the armature and raise the
field current to say 48V while the break pedal is pressed

Any thoughts? Maybe this is just too complex for the benefits.

I just hate it when I go down hill and touch the break just a
bit the tractor actually may speed up (until I press further and
thus apply the mechanical break). I changed the setting to right
now first apply the mechanical break before it cuts motor current
but this is not ideal as well as it lugs the motor before it
disengages it and probably causes wear on the contactors due
to the higher current they need to switch off.

Markus

I had a motor fly apart when spinning with no load , that's when I relized I
had no idea what the rpm of the motor was , I " though " I was not over
reving but looking back (over a pile of money) I can see that I really had
no idea.

> I have seen a tractor conversion, totally blew me away amazing.
> Lawn tractors, dragstors, but no large trucks, not even medium
> trucks with 4x4.

My 1988 Jeep Cherokee is a 4x4 Electric Vehicle. It's not in the EV Album yet,
but I do have alot of details on my website. With my limited budget, I'm having
a hard time as it is getting good range/performance out of my Cherokee, which I
think weighs less than 4500 lbs. (but I haven't had it weighed yet).

-Nick
1988 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 EV
http://Go.DriveEV.com/

Subject: Re: EV Pusher Trailers?
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 05:45:18 -0600
From: Felix Gardner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

Steve Clunn, or any one,

I have a 20 mile commute to work one way, I drive on the highway at
about 60 to 75  miles an hour, what rating of a motor and how large of
a battery pack would it take to move a 6030 lbs 4x4 vehicle that far
and still get me home?

A pusher trailer vs a generator trailer, which would have more success
in assisting a small EV conversion car travel 250 miles, 60 to 75 mph?

What weather conditions can an EV tolerate?  Winter weather is rough
on vehicles in Wisconsin.  Lots of salt and sand on the roads, 25
degrees below zero, ice rain sleet snow slush, and muddy.  Can an EV
be built to withstand dust, sand, dirt, mud, water?  What about
fording?

I am planning on attempting two conversions this summer.  One light
speedy long range transport (for my beautiful mate Nikki) and one
heavy durable vehicle for winter time and recreational use (mostly for
me).  I want to experience the challenges of different weight classes
and different vehicle uses and demands.  I might do three conversions,
my buddy has a little Honda that he would like to upgrade.

Most of the conversions I am finding are of small to medium light
vehicles designed for speed.  I have seen a tractor conversion,
totally blew me away amazing.  Lawn tractors, dragstors, but no large
trucks, not even medium trucks with 4x4.  I am thinking that I will
first start with a small speedy road cutter. Then a S-10 or Ranger
with 4x4.

Here in Wisconsin everyone drives trucks, if people could see a
successful 4x4 conversion that could tolerate all the conditions of an
ICE 4x4, I'm sure people would stand up and notice.

Well, I sort of strayed away from the pusher trailer topic, but what
about a pickup with a generator in the bed?  Aghh, then it would just
be another stupid hybrid, however less complicated as the generator
could be removed when not needed.

Felix

--
--signature--

A fellow EVer with the same setup runs his DCP up to
40 mph at 6K RPMs.  If I'm only going up to 32 mph,
and getting noise from 25-32 mph, I was deducing I was
under 6K safety window of motor & controller.
   Noise was not occuring in first gear, 12V load., w/
just flywheel & clutch. mounted, no tranny.
Tranny had 98K miles on it, but had been transported,
and fair amt. of jackrabbit starts in So.Cal traffic.

=====
'92 Honda Civic sedan, 144V
                                   ____
                     __/__|__\ __
           =D-------/   -  -     \
                     'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?
Are you saving any gas for your kids?

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

This was a dream of mine, a full sized electric Blazer or muscle car.
The $$ I'm saving on conversion easily pays for downsizing to a
Porsche.

Figure a 2000 lb sports car would take 20 to 28 orbitals to get the
job done. The big 4x4 is 3x the weight, and possibly 3x worse aero.
Now you are going to need 60 to 84 orbitals and 3 motors -- that has
moved cost from maybe $5k to $10k up to $15k to $30k. It'll also take
alot of power to charge that many batteries overnight. For the muscle
car, it's about 2x the cost.

If you are determined to go big, there are some things that'll help
alot. U.S. Body Source sells full sized chevy fiberglass truck and
Blazer bodies. They claim it'll save 1500 lbs! Chopping the top on a
truck can significantly lessen the frontal area.

--- Felix Gardner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a 20 mile commute to work one way, I drive on the highway at
> about 60 to 75  miles an hour, what rating of a motor and how large
> of
> a battery pack would it take to move a 6030 lbs 4x4 vehicle that
> far
> and still get me home?

=====

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Well yea, I always put in a  more than I take out. You have to, to  even get
back to 14.8 volts and 2 amps.
 And clearly... my capacity is not dropping in every cycle by %4. So that is
not happening.

>          You can't just put in what you took out. You must put in an extra
> 3% or 4% to fully charge the negative plate. If you don't overcharge by 3%
> or 4%, the negative plate will fall behind every cycle and will sulfate.
>
>     _ /|        Bill "Wisenheimer" Dube'
>    \'o.O'     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> =(___)=
> Check out the bike -> http://www.KillaCycle.com

A last-minute change:

> Everyone,
>
> If you were planning on participating in tomorrow's
(Friday) protest
> at Senator Ford, please be advised, the LOCATION AND
TIME HAVE BEEN
> CHANGED. Due to unforseen circumstances, the
location had to be
> changed at the last minute and that meant a change
in time since
> permits had to be granted for the new location. The
new location is:

> DOWNTOWN FORD SALES
> 525 N. 16TH ST.
> SACRAMENTO 95814
>
> The time is shifted from a Friday start to Saturday
at 8:30 am. The
> protest will go through Monday.
>
> We hope this doesn't cause problems for those of you
wishing to
> participate. Our apologies to those who are
affected.