  1) Re: NO POLITICS - READ THIS (just ban them- zero tolerance)
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: to buy or to build...ebike dreams.
        by "a.k. howard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) jump starting an EV  was: Ken Trough in Edmonton newspaper
        by Fortunat Mueller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: conversion body modifications
  5) Re: Transmissions
  6) Re: to buy or to build...ebike dreams.
  7) EV Marriage made in Heaven - WHAT  No Comments ???
        by Steven Lough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) 92 geo tracker for sale
        by billb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Power steering
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: to buy or to build...ebike dreams.
        by "Tim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Transmissions
        by "Klemkosky, Mark A" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: to buy or to build...ebike dreams.
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: to buy or to build...ebike dreams.
        by Lock Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: INDUSTRIAL REMOTE CONTROL SYS
        by "larry_cindy.balogh " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Tricky: Charger sizing for 24V 300Ah Concorde's
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) AGM Deep Cycle Batteries DCS-100L
        by "Rick Barnes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Fw: EV Charter (Re: Politics v. advocacy was: Re: Backdoor Politics)
        by "Steve" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Tricky: Charger sizing for 24V 300Ah Concorde's
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) PFC30 Rescues Dead Forklift

David-

I propose that instead of warning, just ban people. No warnings. There have been enough warnings. There is a list charter. Rules are made to be enforced. Just drop them immediately.

Seth

Whatever you do, quit bellyaching about politics. We have what we have,
whether you agree with it or not. If you like it, support it; if you don't,
work to change it. But when it comes to EVs - just forget it. Get out
there and make something!

David Roden
Assistant EV List Administrator

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: EV Discussion List <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: to buy or to build...ebike dreams.
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 01:13:02 -0800

> I have a nine mile one way commute. Its mostly flat or very slight
> long grades, with a 3 percent half mile upgrade at one end.
> Speed is not real important, I think i will be happy with a maximum
> speed of 20 mph.
> Range is very important. I want to be able to do nine to ten miles
> comfortably on a single charge. I am willing to carry a second
> battery pack.
> I don't plan to pedal my bike, I'd rather use the electric power
> mode at all times.
> I do want the ability to climb steep grades, say up to 8 percent
> without burning things up, i am willing to accept a reduction in
> speed for that.
> I plan to use the bike 250 to 300 days a year, pretty much whenever
> it is dry and the forecast is to be dry. Most of my one way trips
> outside of work are less than ten miles in length.

All kinds of hub motors and Currie-type bolt-ons to peruse. What is available
locally, or is there nothing around you can "see and touch"? [Buying
sight-unseen is one major drawback of the internet] Do you already have a bike
you ride and are comfortable on? I have a "Chinese Junk" scooter that can give
me 30mph for 10-12mi, but it can't handle very steep hills, being a 500 watt
model geared for 30mph! A higher-wattage version would be another alternative
to consider, though.

You know what the oldtimers of the list say: don't daydream, go out and
make it/buy it/ build it and get on the road!

I will have to go to LA soon where I can test drive one. Hopefully there will be a few stairs nearby to push it upward. This stair climbing issue has been something i have been wrestling with.

I think most likely I will buy first to gain ebike experience. Then I can think about building.

PS: Isn't Gail a member of the LVEVA?

I'm not sure, I havent gotten to meet her.

 Thank you for your positive words. Regards. A.K.

Mike,

My Jetta had one of the weakest 12 V batteries I have
ever seen (lawn tractor battery) and would run flat
any time it was left for more than a few days in the
winter.

Rather than use an outside battery, my solution was to
connect a couple leads to the nearest 12 V worth of
traction batteries and use those to 'jump start' the
EV. It worked well and all you need is a couple
lengths of wire. Of course, it means you lose your HV
isolation for a couple of seconds but i can live with
that.

My other (sparkier) solution when i didn't have wire
lengths or didn't feel like opening the battery box
was just to (carefully) lay the blade of an old screw
driver across contacts of the primary contactor. It
sparks a bit, but immediately the DC fires up and
provides enough current to pull in that contactor and
hold it in. voila...ev is 'running' .

the second method provided lots of entertainment for
my passengers who didn't always understand how I could
'jump start' my car with only a screwdriver.

glad to hear you made it home.

~Fortunat

http://my.yahoo.com

From: "SCOTT O'QUINN" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date:  Sun, 16 Jan 2005 08:48:23 -0800

Sent via the WebMail system at kendra.com

D'oh! I only read half your post before I replied.

I would try C/8 or a bit more current for a charger. Call it 40-50A. Slow enough that a robust 110V outlet can do it, and 220VAC can definitely do it. If you add capacity, then a 60+ amp charger would be good if you can tweak the current to keep the same relative rate (C/8 or whatever you are using).

Again, if you just daysail, then just a float charger of 20-30A might be ok, as long as you don't want to discharge deeply days in a row. Actually if you can stand the wait, and can have a cyclic charge profile in there with it staying at float, then that should work too. The thing about chargers is that more current capability is always better. You never know when you want it. And programmability and external safties are always nice.

In your case a Brusa amp-hour counter would be nice as they track small current flow and integrate it well, so you can keep track of your SOC. Not cheap, but worth it.

Seth

On Jan 16, 2005, at 7:16 AM, pekka wrote:

What would be a suitable amperage - talking decent switch mode chargers - for charging a bank of AGM's at 315Ah/C20 at 24V in a sailing boat?

The batteries get discharged rather too shallow than too deep generally, and get charged a little by rotating the prop, when appropriate, and a solar panel. Last summer I didn't have grid at the dock, boat usage was low and the bank kept over 80% charge at all times.

I anticipate/hope that I will use more of the capacity in the future and so may need external charging.

The sizing suggestions given by manufacturers are usually for cyclic use as in a road EV or fork lift. Do I need to charge the batteries at 30 amps or is less better? when the bank sits for a week or two and then gets discharged to 80-60% SOC again... highly irregular charging pattern with solar "pushing" 1A or 7-9Ah daily, prop regeneration adding 0-4A when the wind is good.

Should I just bite my esthetic eye and add solar panels in all impossible places? Solar is not cheap but neither are good chargers, if I need 30A or more current capacity from one, and only every now and then.

Do AGM's in general, or Concorde PV batteries in particular, need the occasional hit from C3 charging current? The usage is more like off-grid PV with the exception that solar panel capacity is pitiful right now.

Pekka

Anyone have any knowledge or experience with these batteries? Dynasty
DCS-100L, also sold as Interstate DCS-100L. Group 29, 69 lbs, 100 A/Hr.
I am considering a 10-pack, $129 each from the local Interstate distributor
in Vancouver, WA.
 <http://www.dynastybattery.com/cd_dyn/products/batteries/dcs/dcs100l.htm>
http://www.dynastybattery.com/cd_dyn/products/batteries/dcs/dcs100l.htm
 <http://www.ibsa.com/www_2001/content/products/specs/dcs100l.pdf>
http://www.ibsa.com/www_2001/content/products/specs/dcs100l.pdf

What do you think? Do you have any other suggestions for a reasonably priced
AGM group 29 or 31 battery?

The web page says "Batteries to be mounted with 0.5 in. (1.25 cm) spacing
minimum and free air ventilation.". Mine would be mounted all right next to
each other in a heated and semi-insulated compartment. Do you think this
will cause a problem? (I can watch battery temp with a cheap-o digital
indoor/outdoor thermometer attached to the top of one battery.)

Rick Barnes
1986 Chevy Sprint "Cloud Conversion"
Aloha, OR

David Roden hello,
Mark Klemkosky appears irritated at the politics on the EVDL. I sent the
attached email.
Steve Love [EMAIL PROTECTED]