  1) Re: 400 amp DC circuit breaker on Ebay
        by "Philip Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Fund Raising for EV Causes?
        by "David Chapman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: geared bike hubs
        by Martin K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Building big EVs
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  5) Re: Building big EVs, was Re: EV Pusher Trailers?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: 400 amp DC circuit breaker on Ebay
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  7) Flexcharging NiCad. Smarts a bad boy doesn't have.
  8) Re: PFC30 Rescues Dead Forklift
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: PFC30 Rescues Dead Forklift
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Backdoor Politics
        by Danny Ames <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: 400 amp DC circuit breaker on Ebay
        by "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Specs on SW192 contactors
        by Mark Farver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) New Beetle EV Conversion Update
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Flexcharging NiCad. Smarts a bad boy doesn't have.
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Deaf Scooter does it again.  Red Beastie look out.
 16) Re: New Beetle EV Conversion Update
        by Frank Schmitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: NO POLITICS - READ THIS
        by "Chris Tromley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: New Beetle EV Conversion Update
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: New Beetle EV Conversion Update
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) re jump start the 12v
        by "Steve Clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Old Beetle EV Conversion Update
        by Brian Staffanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) RE: New Beetle EV Conversion Update
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Backdoor Politics...come on guys, knock it off!
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: geared bike hubs
        by spidercats <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Power steering
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- The traction batteries will be in three separate boxes ( one where the radiator was, one above the motor - where the engine head/manifolds were, and one sunken into the trunk floor. )

Each box of batteries will have a fuse in the middle of that pack. I'll also have smaller fuses ( KLK - types) for every other high-voltage line from the pack ( pre-charge relay, DC-DC, heater, instrumentation, etc)

It seems to me that covers it.  It there anything else I need safety-wise?

Phil

From: "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: 400 amp DC circuit breaker on Ebay
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 18:32:40 -0800

Phil wrote:
>I bought it for my Echo, but decided to go breaker-less. I'l have two
>contactors ( one at each end of the controller) and, in a real emergency (
>if the controller AND both contactors fail) , there's always the clutch.

Please tell me you have a fuse of two in the main pack!  There are failure
modes other than a run-away EV. A pack short in two places to the frame
won't let you go anywhere, but could easily cause a fire.

Neon

--- Begin Message --- Hi All,
While working on the net today I ran across an interesting way to raise money for non-profit causes http://www.missionfish.org/About/about.jsp and I immediately thought of EVAA and possibly NEDRA. Are these a non-profit (I assume they are) and do they qualify? If the people in charge would check into it and if doable register these organizations I know I for one will list items with at least a portion of the proceeds going to these groups. Yes I know, one could always do a direct donation but I think that this might get a bigger bang for the buck as far as raising EV awareness. And it might get used more because it can be construed as good for business. Big picture, works for all. If this gets put into place please post to the list, I am sure there are a lot of people that would contribute as well. I would even consider putting EV fund raising items in my store for other people. Cool thing is that any kind of item would work, not just EV related.

David Chapman.
Arizona Electropulsion / Fine-Junque
http://stores.ebay.com/theworldoffinejunque

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I don't want a 12" pulley hooked to a jackshaft hooked to a 10" sprocket on a 24" bike. It looks like a science project as it is.

damon henry wrote:
Why not just change one of the pulley's. They are easy to come by in just about any size and should be cheap.

--
Martin K
http://wwia.org/sgroup/biofuel/

<<<At a test drive down the interstate, the EV would go 92 mph power by the
outboard generator with about total combine weight of 9000 lbs for a 500
mile range on 20 gallons of gas.>>>

Not 500mi *at 92mph*, right? At least if you were driving something over 4 tons
nowadays, you wouldn't be very worried about being hit by an Escalade!

Paul G. wrote:
> That is almost funny. So your large Toyota Pickup can carry 1430 lbs.
> My baby Toyota Tacoma can carry almost one ton (curb weight was
> 27xx lbs and max weight is 4700 lbs).

Yes; amazing, isn't it? My little old 1974 Datsun pickup weighed 2379
lbs and could carry 1300 lbs (3680 GVWR). When stripped of its ICE
stuff, the glider only weighed 2100 lbs, so it could easily carry 40% of
its weight in batteries.
has!" -- Margaret Mead
--
Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

> It seems to me that covers it.  It there anything else I need safety-wise?
>
> Phil

How 'bout a circuit breaker?

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Seems this Controller could take the bad boy output and civilize it.....Am I hoping for too much. These guys are near Lee Hart. Lee got your ears on. Lawrence Rhodes....

Our charge control will work with most sources as long as it is within
the amperage range of the controller.  An NCHC60/48 would be a 60 amp
max. 48 volt controller.  The price is $233.00 plus freight of $10.00 or
less.  The controller will let the battery voltage of ( in your case) 40
cells, rise to 62 volts and then turn off and let the voltage drop to
about 55 volts and turn back on again.  We don't regulate the incoming
voltage or amperage but watch the battery voltage very close.  Even
though you are monitoring only 40 cells you can pass a higher voltage
through the switching contactor so you are able to charge any number of
cells you want to up to the capacity of your charge source.  Flooded
cell NiCad's can usually be charged by voltage monitoring with no
problem.  Dry sealed NiCad's are a completely different story and our
control will not work on them.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web Site www.flexcharge.com

Lawrence Rhodes
Bassoon/Contrabassoon
Book 4/5 doubler
Electric Vehicle & Solar Power Advocate
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
415-821-3519

Those are Cool!
My Dad had a few when I was growing up. I wish I still had them.
The 975lbs toy still sits next to the Orb Stack...Close by, but un used... I
gotta do somthing with it soon just to play with it.

From: "Fortunat Mueller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> My Jetta had one of the weakest 12 V batteries I have
> ever seen (lawn tractor battery) and would run flat
> any time it was left for more than a few days in the
> winter.
>
> Rather than use an outside battery, my solution was to
> connect a couple leads to the nearest 12 V worth of
> traction batteries and use those to 'jump start' the
> EV. It worked well and all you need is a couple
> lengths of wire. Of course, it means you lose your HV
> isolation for a couple of seconds but i can live with
> that.

I have blown up my share of stuff and not even trying to go fast . I think
you where lucky here , for a few reasons .  If there is any leakage form
your batteries to the frame , connection one of the batteries in the
traction pack right to the frame by way of negative traction battery now
makes another path to frame , . Say there is a lot of motor dust and its got
a fair path to the negitive of the traction pack, say you hook the negitive
form one of the batteries close to the traction positive end , now you have
two paths to the framd. Also if/when
you connect the positive wire from the traction pack and you have a path
from any of the other traction batteries you could have (by just hooking the
one positive wire and the leakage from one of the ,mucher lower down the
line traction batteries ) the traction pack voltage now appear across all
you 12v stuff , with only the dead 12v axl battery holding it down.
If for some reason I HAD to do this I would use the negitive on the traction
pack to go to the frame , I would hook up the ground first , unplug my e
meter . I would not be happy with my Zilla in there either , . What I would
do it un hook the dead 12v alx battery on both sides  ( + and - ) and then
charge him from some of the traction batteries ,

> My other (sparkier) solution when i didn't have wire
> lengths or didn't feel like opening the battery box
> was just to (carefully) lay the blade of an old screw
> driver across contacts of the primary contactor. It
> sparks a bit, but immediately the DC fires up and
> provides enough current to pull in that contactor and
> hold it in. voila...ev is 'running' .

This  to me sounds like the way to do it .

> the second method provided lots of entertainment for
> my passengers who didn't always understand how I could
> 'jump start' my car with only a screwdriver.
>
> glad to hear you made it home.

glad to hear your car is ok , you must have a pretty clean set up , no
leakage
Steve Clunn

> ~Fortunat
>
> --- Michael Hoskinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >  Hey, maybe I had drained my little 12 volt battery
> > by leaving the headlights on.  Sure enough, that's
> > what I had done, but
> > it did not recover enough in 30 minutes to pull in
> > the main contactor.
> > The dentist office was in a mall, so I went to Radio
> > Shack and bought a
> > couple of cheap lantern batteries and some jumper
> > wires.  I turned the
> > key on, then touched my lantern battery jump starter
> > to the aux battery
> > terminals.  I was rewarded with that blessed clunk
> > of the main contactor
> > pulling in, and with it the dc-dc that would quickly
> > restore my little
> > aux battery to life.  When I got home I rewarded it
> > with a nice long 1
> > amp top-up.  Out at the cottage I have a cheap 12
> > volt flashlight with a
> > small agm.  I think I'll wire in a 12 volt plug to
> > it so I can jump
> > start from the cigar lighter.
> >
> > Mike Hoskinson
> > Edmoonton

> All your favorites on one personal page - Try My Yahoo!
> http://my.yahoo.com

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- For all you classic beetle lovers, I am having a problem. I noticed that I might earlier, and now I know. I tried to put my prestolite MTC 4001 in my 1974 VW. I had to take out the transmission. Because of the length of the motor, I wasn't able to put in the motor under because of the transmission mounts. I wasn't able to put it in from the top, as again the transmission mounts, and the combination of the motor and transmission are too long. I am thinking that I might need to cut the back part of the body, to put it in. I am hoping not. I need a suggestion on how I might be able to work this out. I hope someone has experience.

Brian
David, these batteries do not have posts, they have female 1/2" NC bolt
holes.  I intend on putting on the cables, then slide them into position.
Yes, it will be a pain to easily access them.

=====

The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
http://my.yahoo.com

Felix, no need to separate politics from EVs.
Just please don't discuss politics portion on EVDL,
there are other lists for that.

This is all that is being asked for.

Any political blurp
provokes numerous replies and it's snowballing
ending up with appologies. And, as David pointed out,
no one ever changes their opinions at the end anyway.

Victor

Felix Gardner wrote:

Politics and EV can not be separated, no matter how hard anyone tries.
 Sort of like a magnet, one end is always the opposite of the other no
matter what, it is just that way.  Living in the US, there is no way
to separate politics from anything, not even the simple act of putting
on a shirt.

It is important for one to express his or her idealism, understanding
of perception, and internalization when ever those courses may arise. This helps us remain in control of our personality. It is also
equally important to digest the results and responses to our
expressions, this is instructional and helps us learn. As a result me
may value each other more, or we may value each other less. Either
way it is a progression, sort of like an electric motor. It won't
turn if there is no conflict and disturbance between the magnet
forces, or if the current doesn't change the fields in the motor.

Personally politics is important to me, very important.  I have lost
long time friends because of conflicts of political ideas.  Often
times I miss them, but some people change rapidly and some slowly.  If
members of the EVDL are more comfortable without the discussion of
politics it is understandable.  Yet there is still no way to escape
the politics of our endeavors.

Felix

Martin Klingensmith wrote:

Hello all,
I'm still working on my ebike. It works but it isn't geared right (too high)
I'm considering using one of the hubs that have internal gearing. I'm not sure if they are underdriven or overdriven though. If anyone can give me any hints that would be great.
Right now I have a v.01 bike with a large 10" sprocket (about 40 teeth) driven by a 12 tooth sprocket on a jack shaft driven by a 6" which is driven by a 2" pulley on the motor :-)
The wheel size is 24"
It works but it's still geared too high for the current I can pull with the AC motor drive ( Rod Hower helped me out with getting the AC drive, thanks! )
So I would like to go for a gear box of sorts. I wanted to stay away from a friction drive because they are so inefficient.
Thanks.

--
Martin K
http://wwia.org/sgroup/biofuel/

Try this,

60 (MPH) = (Engine revs x wheel radius including tyre) / ( final gear ratio x 168)

Hence 60 mph = ( 3500revs x 12.0) / (A x 168)

                   A =   42000 / 168
                             -----------
                                   60

                  A =   4.16

Thus to make 60 mph @ 3500 revs per minute would require a reduction of 4.16:1

final gear ratio is the product of all gear ratios in use IE: Primary and secondary reduction from the motor plus the transmission. You could calculate backwards from there substituting in your known reduction IE 3:1. Why are you reducing the effective output speed of the motor before the transmission anyway... isn't that just wasting wattage?

Matt G
I believe, Sheer Pullen implemented (or was going to) the
power steering in his Accord. Ask him.

http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/338.html

Victor
'91 ACRX - something different

Felix Gardner wrote:

EVDL,

What are some different types of power steering options available, and
what have you used that worked well?

Felix