  1) Importing an EV?
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: EV Pusher Trailers?
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Building big EVs, was Re: EV Pusher Trailers?
        by Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Building big EVs, was Re: EV Pusher Trailers?
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: to buy or to build...ebike dreams.
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Importing an EV?
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Backdoor Politics
        by "Chip Gribben" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) E-Bike Build
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  9) transmissions- KISS
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: to buy or to build...ebike dreams.
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: PFC30 Rescues Dead Forklift
        by "David Chapman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) OT Re: INDUSTRIAL REMOTE CONTROL SYS
        by "David Chapman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: Fw: EV Charter (Re: Politics v. advocacy was: Re: Backdoor
  Politics)
        by James D Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Backdoor Politics
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Transmissions (LONG, higher-performance questions)
        by "Richard Furniss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: CE news
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 17) Ford Ranger sit in, Kudos! Made Evening news!
        by "David Chapman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Transmissions (LONG, higher-performance questions)
        by Tim Clevenger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: geared bike hubs
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: 400 amp DC circuit breaker on Ebay
        by "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Backdoor Politics...come on guys, knock it off!
        by "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Building big EVs, was Re: EV Pusher Trailers?
        by "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Importing an EV?
        by "Dave Davidson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: EV Pusher Trailers?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 25) Re: Building big EVs, was Re: EV Pusher Trailers?
On 16 Jan 2005 at 19:05, Dave Davidson wrote:

> Try importing a production EV
> from Europe, such as a Pugeot 101 Electric, or Citreon Saxo Electric or a
> Renault electric pickup (pardon my spelling). Can't be done.

It's certainly difficult, but I'm not so sure about "can't."  A member of the
Eastern Electric Vehicle Club in PA quite some years ago imported a Kewet
for his own use.  I don't know what the process was, but he was successful.

I'm fairly sure that he had to agree never to sell it.  When he decided he was
finished with it, he donated it to a museum.

Have a look at this if you haven't already seen it:

http://www.acpropulsion.com/Products/Range_extending_trailers.htm

Felix Gardner  wrote:

How are pusher or generator trailers integrated into the EV?  Do they
supply power directly to the motor, directly to the batteries, or are
they connected to the charger?  What is the means by which the power
from the generator gets to wheels for a generator trailer?

Generator trailers generally provide high current DC in parallel with the EVs battery pack. The charger is not part of the circuit. Drive to the wheels is provided by the existing EV motor and transmission. It is simply a DC generator on a small trailer . When combined with an EV, a generator trailer makes the combination a series hybrid, engine to generator, generator to motor, motor to wheels.

Pusher trailers are usually made from the complete front section of a front wheel drive car. They include the stock IC engine and the original transmission. They drive directly through the trailer wheels to the ground, pushing on the hitch and thus pushing the EV. Some include a small generator as well to recharge the EVs batteries while pushing. Generally pushers are only used for highway travel as the throttle systems are not capable of direct coupling to the EV accelerator pedal, but is instead controlled by a servo like a cruise control. When combined with an EV the result is a parallel hybrid, engine to transmission to wheels. While pushing, the EV drive is inactive.

Overall, the generator trailer solution is more flexible but puts the EV drive train under more stress, due to the more long term operation than is generally possible under battery only drive. The pusher trailer is less flexible but can be much less expensive to build and has the advantage of letting the EV drive train "take a nap" so to speak while traveling.

Both have their own challenges. With generators the concerns would include overcharging batteries, subjecting controllers to high voltages, and overheating the EV motor on extended drives. Pushers require careful design to insure full control of the remote drive train is retained at all times, and engine conditions are properly monitored.

As is usual in my case, I have started work on both setups quite some time ago, and neither one is currently complete. I really need to at least get the pusher enclosed so I can get it out of my garage.

Thanks,

Mike Chancey,
'88 Civic EV
'95 Solectria Force
Kansas City, Missouri
EV List Photo Album at: http://evalbum.com
My Electric Car at: http://www.geocities.com/electric_honda
Mid-America EAA chapter at: http://maeaa.org
Join the EV List at: http://www.madkatz.com/ev/evlist.html

Felix Gardner wrote:
How are pusher or generator trailers integrated into the EV?  Do they
supply power directly to the motor, directly to the batteries, or are
they connected to the charger?  What is the means by which the power
from the generator gets to wheels for a generator trailer?

A pusher trailer does just what the name implies, it actually pushes the vehicle from the rear, here are two examples-

http://www.mrsharkey.com/pusher.htm
http://www.jstraubel.com/EVpusher/EVpusher.htm

Roy LeMeur Olympia, WA

My Electric Vehicle Pages:
http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/renewables/evpage.html

Informative Electric Vehicle Links:
http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/renewables/evlinks.html

EV Parts/Gone Postal Photo Galleries:
http://www.casadelgato.com/RoyLemeur/page01.htm

Seth Allen wrote:
www.rabbittool.com has been around for ages, and they offer kits and
bikes. If they have been around a while that means they haven't
shortchanged people continually, like some others. Just opinion, and I
never have bought anything, but they are worth a look. NiMH packs up to
"M" cells, with automated chargers.

AFAIK, Rabbit Tool is a great example of vaporware, nothing has changed for the last five+ years and they have no electric bike products that you can actually buy.
Has anyone actually touched a Rabbit Tool product?

a.k. howard wrote:
Greetings,

The question here is to buy or to build. I am looking to use an
electric bicycle type of EV for the following.

I have a nine mile one way commute. Its mostly flat or very slight

long grades, with a 3 percent half mile upgrade at one end.
Speed is not real important, I think i will be happy with a maximum
speed of 20 mph.
Range is very important. I want to be able to do nine to ten miles
comfortably on a single charge. I am willing to carry a second
battery pack.
I don't plan to pedal my bike, I'd rather use the electric power
mode at all times.
I do want the ability to climb steep grades, say up to 8 percent
without burning things up, i am willing to accept a reduction in
speed for that.
I plan to use the bike 250 to 300 days a year, pretty much whenever
it is dry and the forecast is to be dry. Most of my one way trips
outside of work are less than ten miles in length.

If I buy, I am most interested in one of the Tidalforce bikes,
probably the IO stepthru model. I have considered an Iacocca folding
ebike as well.

If I build, Im probably looking at installing a hub motor setup on
a mountain bike with road tires.

36 volts is the lowest voltage I would use. I plan to use nimh
batteries, maybe liions in the future. I'm willing to have multiple
battery packs and chargers.
I live in a second story apartment. Hopefully with a little power I
could power the bike slowly up the stairs. That is, to walk it up the
stairs with some power to the wheels. Of course I wouldn't attempt to
ride it upstairs.
I consider my planned use for the bike to be severe service,
multiple stoplights, roads are pretty smooth, and using it day in and
day out. I have no plans to use the bike off road. I hope i can find
something that will hold up over time and give me years of trouble
free service.
I do realize that battery packs and tires will have to be replaced
every so often. I hope that the bike itself, motor, controller, etc
would not fail on me quickly. In short I am looking for something
quite durable.

This will be my first EV.
Hope this helps, and I thank you in advance for your wisdom and
your help. Regards, A.K. Howard, Las Vegas, NV. Board member Las
Vegas Electric Vehicle Association.

The need to go up and down stairs sorta throws a wrench in the works.

Otherwise, I might recommend one of these scooters without pedals to do the job with no problem-
http://www.electricmotorsport.com/SCOOTERS/scooters.htm
http://www.egovehicles.com/

If you had a Currie mountain bike, you could remove the battery pack and sling the bike over your shoulder to go up and down stairs like many owners of conventional bikes do-
http://www.currietech.com/html/currieCatalog/CTI_comfortProd.html

The Currie may not have the climbing ability that you need though.

Powerful but not cheap is the TidalForce bike-
http://www.tidalforce.com/products/io/index.html

A great overview of available ebikes here-
http://www.electric-bikes.com/others.htm

As far as conversion kits go, the Heinzmann hubmotor is an excellent choice.
I believe you can still buy these directly from the North American distributor-

http://www.heinzmannusa.com/components.html
Light Electric Vehicle Technologies, Inc. (LEVT)
404 S Arthur
Pocatello, ID
83204
888-314-5388
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Company President is Phil Levitt

Another more powerful possibility is the 1500-3000W EVT hubmotor.
I haven't seen one of these adapted to a bicycle yet, but it certainly seems doable-
http://www.electricmotorsport.com/PARTS/EvtSpecs.htm
I would like to try one of these with the Sevcon MilliPak controller w/regenerative braking-
http://www.evparts.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=&product_id=2116
MilliPak 72 page owner's manual (PDF)-
http://www.evparts.com/shopping/products/ct5115/MillipaK%204QPM%20V1.01.pdf

I can tell you from experience that powering an ebike up and down a staircase can cause undue wear and tear on the staircase as another poster has pointed out.
This could be a major landlord issue that you may want to consider.

HTH

Roy LeMeur Olympia, WA

My Electric Vehicle Pages:
http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/renewables/evpage.html

Informative Electric Vehicle Links:
http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/renewables/evlinks.html

EV Parts/Gone Postal Photo Galleries:
http://www.casadelgato.com/RoyLemeur/page01.htm

       Hi David, Dave and All,
          I use to convert imported 'gray market' cars
from Europe to US standards.
          There are to standard you need to pass to
get into the US.
          One is the D.O.T. standards that are things
like side door protection, seat belts, Seatbelt
worning light, ect. Not hard  to do or costly.
          Second is the EPA which means you have to
pass emissions test but as EV's have no emissions it
passes this without even trying!!!
          There are companies at many ports that do
this and can give you prices on the import, DOT
conversion. Just get the prices for DOT and
importation. I'd bet the price won't be over $2k plus
shipping.
          Many military do this and rich people.
          In any import remove the radio and anything
else the ships crews may want to steal as they can do
great damage ripping it out!
          If you are going to do it lets us know and
we can do it as a group sharing a container costs, the
best way to ship as there are cheap ni-cad batt packs
there.
              HTH's,
                 jerry dycus

wrote:

> On 16 Jan 2005 at 19:05, Dave Davidson wrote:
>
> > Try importing a production EV
> > from Europe, such as a Pugeot 101 Electric, or
> Citreon Saxo Electric or a
> > Renault electric pickup (pardon my spelling).
> Can't be done.
>
> It's certainly difficult, but I'm not so sure about
> "can't."  A member of the
> Eastern Electric Vehicle Club in PA quite some years
> ago imported a Kewet
> for his own use.  I don't know what the process was,
> but he was successful.
>
> I'm fairly sure that he had to agree never to sell
> it.  When he decided he was
> finished with it, he donated it to a museum.

http://my.yahoo.com

I like how Ken has the  "Soapbox" area set up on the Zappy Scooter list
where you can go and let off some steam without worrying about whether you
are ruffling other people's feathers. If two people on the EVDL are engaged
in an OT topic they can take it to the "Soapbox."

However, I still think there is some relevant political information that
should be posted on the EVDL. Not necessarily biased opinions but factual
information such as the State of Maine considering an EV mandate, as an
example. This is newsworthy information we should all know about it.

Case in point is the news of local governments banning electric scooters
along with gas scooters. This affects many of us who build and modify
electric scooters as a hobby. Some of us can't ride legally as a result of
"politics" involved in banning scooters. So we need to know what is going
on.

Also, if some politician, talkshow host or celebrity praises or slams EVs we
should know about it. It is tempting to put a biased spin on the info but if
the info is reported according to the facts I would like to know about it so
I can write a letter to the editor or whatever.

Several of us have had "Letters to the Editor" appear in widely read
magazines and newspapers in praise of EVs as a result of hearing about an
issue posted on the EV List. So its vitally important to know.

The majority of topics on the EVDL is still technical based. The EV movement
is still a grassroots movement that many on this list are keeping alive by
building EVs and through their advocacy efforts. I think a "fair and
balanced" EV list is the way to go.

So I pretty much agree whole heartly with Bill Dube's opinion on the matter.

Chip Gribben
NEDRA Webmaster
http://www.nedra.com
Electric Vehicle Association of Washington DC
http://www.evadc.org
ScooterWerks Scooter Repair
http://www.scooterwerks.com

Guys & girls;
  I just received a Wilderness Energy Electric Bike conversion kit.  (BFP-36)
It contained everything I needed to convert my recumbent bike to  electric.
I only spent 5 hours installing the Hub motor front wheel, battery pack,
controller,throttle and routing all the wiring. (It fired right up with no
problem)
  I took it for a spin and it cruses at 16 to 17 MPH electric only( I  have
the 20" wheel model a 26" wheel would go faster) and easily  cruses at 25 MPH
with a little effort on my part. I would recommend this route  for anyone
considering an E-bike. The installation is strait forward and anyone  with
mechanical skills will find it easy.
  I haven't tested the range (I need to dress warmer) I'm told it  should do
about 20 miles electric only on flat level pavement.
  I chose the brushed motor rather than the BLDC version so I could  raise
the voltage to increase performance & I will probably increase the  voltage to
48 volts to obtain a little faster cruse speed.
  I'll post the bike on the EV album as soon as I get a few  pictures.

Pat Sweeney

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Remember this : 2% per mesh on standard gears, 1% on stright cut . This is minimum on lightly lubricated gears.
Automatics have 6 to 8 meshes per planatery set and usually 1 is in use during low gear lending to the average 8-14% loss.
They do have one advantage over manuals in the first few min of operation in that they already have a lightweight lubricant, but EVers can use redline oil or such.

The worst waster of energy is the "hypoid" gear set, the one used in the differential, it is a sliding contact for quiteness, but I have heard can eat up to 25% but that seams ridiculus.

I can say GM automatics,like the 4T60E(circa 1995), used vacum to set hydraulic pressure during operation, no vacumm means higher pressure and shifting is violent. and solonoids to shift. There are boxes(even "open source" ones) to shift these transmissions available, drag racers with blowers need them. Runs off tach and throttle position. By 2000 GM went completely to eletronic pressure control, it is a 5 volt PWM signal with variable duty cycle and drives a solonoid inside the tranny. I have the 4t60E book, the one from the transmission parts house, if you need anything scanned.

The other place effiency is paramount is when you are racing, race cars already use lots of the tricks, straight cut gears (noisy but also eliminates parasitic side loads that damage bearings and flex cases allowing breakage), racing oils, light flywheels and brakes, bevel gear rear ends (look like model T, only all alum housing) usually with a quick change too for optimizing to your "commute", err track.

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.6.13 - Release Date: 1/16/2005

I could swear I saw a bike at a Tour de Sol, but I really am not sure.

Seth

a.k. howard wrote:
[...]

--- Begin Message --- Cool story John, looks like you have uncovered an auxiliary market for Rudman. Ruggedize the casing, add isolation and raise the price to suit the market. Even a side line selling adapters. And with you as a salesman, can't miss. Rich, just don't forget all us little people when you start marketing the "Rudman Universal forklift service charger" and making the big bucks. Hmm in fact maybe that would lead to LOWER prices on the EV versions? :-). David Chapman.

BTW Rich, was at the Junqueyard the other day looking for some product and resorting Junque and found a teeny tiny baby version of that monster you picked up here. Son #2 was helping me and asked what this little torpedo looking deal was that would fit in your hand, I told him it was an aircraft dynomotor to convert one form of electricity to another. Blank look. Then I explained that it was a super minature ver of the thing we had out in the arena on the trailer and the light popped on. Then he asked why an airplane needed somthing like that and I got into voltage conversion, how things were done before semiconductors etc. Led to one of the better discussions we have had in some time.

David Chapman
Arizona Electropulsion / Fine-Junque
http://stores.ebay.com/theworldoffinejunque

<snipped>

What a great tool to have on my service truck, this little green box! It's compact and
light weight, it's flexible to where it can run off 120 vac or 240 vac, it's flexible to
where it can charge pretty much any battery I might run across, and it's capable of
fairly high DC output levels. Things tend to get beat up in their life aboard a forklift
service truck though, so it's back onto the clean shelf in my EV shop where ti can keep
the Zombie properly fed.

See Ya.....John Wayland

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Scott, Are you looking for some type of electric actuator? I don't know if this will help but I do a bit with aircraft salvage and I have quite a few electro/mechanical actuators in AR and Rebuilt yellow tagged cond and in sizes ranging from 10-12" long Lear trim tab linears to flutter dampers from Vertols (Chinook) and Sikorsky Sky Cranes. I also have cable/drum rotary type trim actuators as well. Biggest problem is I don't have a lot of specs on them, mostly they have pinout diagrams on the type tag but beyond that most of the guys that I sell them to know what they are looking for. If you can give me a better idea of just what you are looking for/doing I will dig around the Junqueyard for something that will work.

----- Original Message ----- From: "SCOTT O'QUINN" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: Martin Klingensmith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: geared bike hubs
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 15:42:11 -0500

Hello all,
I'm still working on my ebike. It works but it isn't geared right (too high)
I'm considering using one of the hubs that have internal gearing. I'm not sure if they are underdriven or overdriven though. If anyone can give me any hints that would be great.
Right now I have a v.01 bike with a large 10" sprocket (about 40 teeth) driven by a 12 tooth sprocket on a jack shaft driven by a 6" which is driven by a 2" pulley on the motor :-)
The wheel size is 24"
It works but it's still geared too high for the current I can pull with the AC motor drive ( Rod Hower helped me out with getting the AC drive, thanks! )
So I would like to go for a gear box of sorts. I wanted to stay away from a friction drive because they are so inefficient.
Thanks.

--
Martin K
http://wwia.org/sgroup/biofuel/

Phil wrote:
>I bought it for my Echo, but decided to go breaker-less.  I'l have two
>contactors ( one at each end of the controller) and, in a real emergency (
>if the controller AND both contactors fail) , there's always the clutch.

Please tell me you have a fuse of two in the main pack!  There are failure
modes other than a run-away EV. A pack short in two places to the frame
won't let you go anywhere, but could easily cause a fire.

Neon

>I'm sorry, but I thought this list was more technical
>in nature and was supposed to stay away from the
>ideological viewpoints.  I could care less about WHY
>people own or love EV's on this list.  I DO care about
>the technical issues and breakthroughs that are
>made.
>
>In a nutshell, I agree with Wayland and respectfully
>disagree with Bill Dube.

I didn't know that Bill and John really said anything different (though Bill
seemed to think so.) Look again at what John said was a good *on topic* post
about this current EV list spat.

Personally, I tend to delete all the "breakthrough" stuff. What I can do or
get (at mere mortal prices) is what I am here for. The latest battery in
development is likely to get *my* DEL key. I like the help, tech, good
stories about EVs, and information to promote EVs.

Neon

Felix wrote:
>I found the dimensions of the Tundra on the Toyota website.  Now I
>know the difference between Curb weight and GVWR,  but GAWR is not
>clear to me.  The curb weight of the Tundra is 4600.

That is almost funny. So your large Toyota Pickup can carry 1430lbs. My baby
Toyota Tacoma can carry almost one ton (curb weight was 27xxlbs and max
weight is 4700lbs.) Would you consider using a Tacoma, it would increase
your weight headroom? Then you could build, and sell the Tundra to recoup
the cost (most EVs take to long too build to convert your daily driver
anyway.)

Neon

Jerry,

The "gotcha" now is that the vehicle to be imported has to be substantially similar to a vehicle the manufacturer imports to the US. The DOT maintains a list of vehicles which they have deemed capable of being modified to meet US standards. Obviously, since these vehicles have not been imported into the US in any fashion (ie., no ICE versions were imported either), they are not on the list.

Guidelines are at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/

And guess who determines which models are capable of being modified to meet US standards? The automakers, of course. They have used the US Government to effectively prevent any competition from being imported, and to make it costly enough to import their own products sold in other countries that most people will give up and buy the US model in the US. Models with no corresponding US version cannot be imported.

This is why a few companies considering importing BEVs are doing so as NEVs, even though they are highway capable in their home country. It gets around these restrictions.

I understand the French BEVs can be had pretty cheap (from Phillipe's posts - he can clarify). If you or someone on the list can figure out how to legally import these, a group buy and shipment should be the easiest part.

Collectors have been able to exempt cars over 25 years old from these requirements. Perhaps someone with political influence can get the DOT to consider also exempting cars powered solely by batteries and meeting European or Japanese safety standards.

Dave Davidson

From: jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Importing an EV?
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 15:29:57 -0800 (PST)

       Hi David, Dave and All,

wrote:

> On 16 Jan 2005 at 19:05, Dave Davidson wrote:
>
> > Try importing a production EV
> > from Europe, such as a Pugeot 101 Electric, or
> Citreon Saxo Electric or a
> > Renault electric pickup (pardon my spelling).
> Can't be done.
>
> It's certainly difficult, but I'm not so sure about
> "can't."  A member of the
> Eastern Electric Vehicle Club in PA quite some years
> ago imported a Kewet
> for his own use.  I don't know what the process was,
> but he was successful.
>
> I'm fairly sure that he had to agree never to sell
> it.  When he decided he was
> finished with it, he donated it to a museum.

> Have a look at this if you haven't already seen it:
>
> http://www.acpropulsion.com/Products/Range_extending_trailers.htm

If the Tzero was a straight ICE vehicle with a constant top speed of 75mph on
high-octane, you'd want *at least* the 35mpg the trailer would give you!

When I purchase by first EV in 1976, the Electric Fuel Propulsion Company,
base in Troy, Michigan, had a optional pusher trailer as you are calling it.
Another option unit was a outboard EV charging station that is as large as a
gasoline fuel station.

The generator trailer was a very streamline 2 wheel unit that was actually a
37.5 KW 3 phase alternator at 250 volts Delta.  It used a 3 phase bridge
that when you input 250 volts ac, has a output of 280 volts DC. It was fuse
at 400 amps with a Bussman Limitron 200,000 Amp Surge rating buss bar fuses.
There was a large reactor surge coil rated at about 1 Henry in the DC output
line plus a rectifier filter circuit.

This unit was plug in to a very large 200 amp power outlet, which was the
same type made for aircraft starting by the Anderson Power Company.

This plug is normally a 8 pin type, 4 power pins and 4 control pins.  The 4
power pins were double up, so the connector and plug would have about 400
amp rating.

On the AC input side, there is a Size 4 magnetic contactor which is control
by two of the control pins plus starting up control.  This unit could also
be used as a standby power for your home or welding supply power.

On board the EV, there is two 2 pole DC transfer switches, that can select
either the onboard batteries for running the EV or selects the outboard DC
source. Also while the outboard DC source is running the EV, it also can be
used for charging the batteries.

Remember, you cannot charge the batteries at the same time you are using
them, you cannot make electricity run both ways at the same time, but can do
so in sequence.  It's like your 12 volt system in a ICE, the battery is used
only on running a electric motor to start the ICE, and than the 12 volt
alternator provides all accessories power and charges the battery which is
not used at that time.

Also you have two more contactors to isolated the motor controllers from a
onboard charger, plus a controller contactor and a double 2 pole contactor
for REGEN braking, which also has to switch off the output power while in
REGEN braking mode.

This makes for 11 contactors with accessory micro switches at a cost of
$6600.00.  The Generator trailer at that time cost $10,000.00.  The outboard
charging station cost $5,000.00. The large aircraft starting connector and
plug with molded on 2 inch diameter cable cost over $3000.00.

At a test drive down the interstate, the EV would go 92 mph power by the
outboard generator with about total combine weight of 9000 lbs for a 500
mile range on 20 gallons of gas.

They only used it for transporting EV's at a longer distance.  Some people
bought these units which were contractors that provide power for there work
sites, but it was not cost effected for me at the time.