  1) Interacter 12V Battery Charger
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  2) Re: people willing to buy EV's
        by "Steve Clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) re: some basic questions
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Some basic questions
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) OCC to build world's first Lithium-powered Chopper for the CHP
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Interacter 12V Battery Charger
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Some basic questions
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Some basic questions
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re-Send 4044 and 4046 ???
        by Steven Lough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) OT Re: OCC to build world's first Lithium-powered Chopper for the CHP
        by Lock Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Re-Send 4044 and 4046 ???
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: OCC to build world's first Lithium-powered Chopper for the CHP
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: to buy or to build...ebike dreams.
        by Tim Clevenger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Doing something, if I can sell my Escape Hybrid
        by Alan Batie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: OT Re: OCC to build world's first Lithium-powered Chopper for
        the CHP
        by Lonnie Borntreger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: to buy or to build...ebike dreams.
        by Lock Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: Some basic questions
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: OCC to build world's first Lithium-powered Chopper for the CHP
        by Lonnie Borntreger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: AC motor Q's
        by "David Chapman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) OT: OCC to build world's first Lithium-powered Chopper for the CHP
        by Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: OT: OCC to build world's first Lithium-powered Chopper for the CHP
        by richard ball <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: OT: OCC to build world's first Lithium-powered Chopper for the
        CHP
        by Lonnie Borntreger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Fwd: OT: OCC to build world's first Lithium-powered Chopper for the CHP
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
I am looking for an off the shelf charger just for charging indivual 12V
batteries.  I would like one that has a 3-stage charge and can be set for Wet,
AGM and gel batteries.  It would be nice if it is temperature compensated.

MK Battery, where I purchased my gel batteries, has on their web site
"Interacter" battery chargers.  They look like all I need and cost around $139.

Any body have good or bad comments about these chargers or maybe suggest another
brand?

thanks
Don

P.S.  I did search the archive but, suprisingly, no such luck.

P.P.S.  I know I can use my PFC-30, but it is installed in the car and a bit of
a pain to set up for charging batteries while I drive down the road.

From: "Lee Hart"

Your Post got me thinking about where we are , and how on a time line
looking at things up close , gives a different picture than standing back. I
was thinking about how you start a camp fire , a little like what we are
doing . A bunch of big logs (car makers ) won't be much good at first ,
small pieces of wood , bark , and sticks (nev's ev bikes ect) piled around a
log or two ( conversion's) . I think one of our short coming is that we are
so far apart . When there is only one person , in a town doing something ,
like EV;s its easy to call him a nut .. people are not quite so quick to
join a group of one. I'm not sure but from what I read there are a lot of EV
people around John Wayland's neck of the woods. How did this happen? If we
were looking at a time line where we start with one and watch it grow my
guess would be that after two things start to pick up speed.  I know right
now most on the list with ev's would say , " I'm the only EV in town or for
miles " .

> >> But we need some sort of "magic spark" to leap out of the screen
> >> and zap the reader into turning off the computer and going out
> >> into the garage to actually BUILD something!

And maybe doing it with other people , The EV clubs are a good idea , but
you have to have more that one to start with , which I;m pretty sure that
most of us EV'er just can't fine another EV'er in our home town.

> I think this same spirit would work for building EVs. You just need to
> get a critical mass of people to show up regularly in someone's garage,
> and have some sort of club project to work on.

Yes maybe an ad in the local paper , could have a web address at the end .
www.evalbum.com . Now what if we all did it at once. ?

> "Never doubt that the work of a small group of thoughtful, committed
> citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever
> has!"

Sometimes when I'm talking to people and they say , everything thing is ok
now , we'll deal with "the problem " later . but lets look at where we are
right now as being in a car and running out of oil as a brick wall . We can
argue how far away the wall is , and how much time it will take to stop .
But right now we are still accelerating , we have not taken are foot off the
gas , not even tested the brakes , and the driver says he has something in
the trunk call a fool cell that will stop the car on a dime. .   Well this
is what drives me to do what most would say is a "poor business plan "  . I
know that I must make my Ev business make money for  it to grow , so I can
make better EV's with better parts for more people . At some point I'll need
to let go of one rope  and grab another , My lawn business has been
supporting my EV effort , after 20 years it runs like a clock , . funny how
one thread can run through so many parts of life , give up something you
know and can count on  for something new , different ,. Like that bird in
the cage you were talking about. I hope there are lurkers out there thinking
about doing a conversion , and after reading a post do it , but how about
all you EV's that are thinking of starting there own shop, business , club
or rally. Are you not is the same place as when you where thinking about
doing your first conversion ? do you wish you had waited?

Steve Clunn

 -- Margaret Mead
> --
> Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

I am less qualified than others on this list to answer these, but I'll have a go

I'm still trying to grasp this whole electric range/performance thing..

For these questions, lets use a 2500lb glider as the target weight, regardless of motor size and battery number to keep this simple.

1. Which motor would be the fastest in the 1/4 mile? The 8, 9, 11, or 13" WarP motor?
What can you push and how good is cooling, If you have the power budget, more motor
is usually more torque. Given equal pole counts torque increases with square of
diameter(but mostly wasted in wound rotor , so only sean in permanent magnet motors)
and linearly with motor length. Now 2 8inchers as opposed to one 9" is gonna
have more avail AND 2 operating points, more in answer 4...

2. What number of 12v batteries in series would cause the motor to be limited by a Zilla 1K?
At what motor RPM? The motor is a generator at the same time it is a motor. The difference betweens the battery voltage and the motor voltage is what pushes the amps. Off the line, the voltage difference between the motor's bemf and the applied voltage is at a max, I=V/R, V is high and R is very low so I, the amps is at the max so the zilla is the limit. As you progress down the track, the RPM's climb and the BEMF goes up, the voltage difference dimenishes and the amps that can be dimenished drops. At some point these two lines cross,
Looking at the torque curve sheet from evParts for the 9"

http://www.evparts.com/shopping/products/mt2120/mt2120torquecurvenofan.PDF

we can see that 1000amps isn't even on the chart, but look for example at a 400 amp controller on a 120V system 400 amps gives us 90LBft of torque, reguardless of system voltage and at 90lb.ft we cross the rpm line at 2750 rpm. Lets say 2nd gear at 8:1 ration including diffy, that would be 344 wheel rpm and 720lbft wheel torque. Lets use a 24" OD wheel; circumference is 75.4" (5280*12)/75.4 = 840 rev/mile 840rpm=60mph so 344rpm is 24.6mph. Furthormore F=M*A and the force is 720 lb (convienint 1 foot radius)= 3000lb *A
so Acceleration is .24G, (pathetic) From that rpm onward it gets worse. Raise the voltage to 144, just 1 battery, and the rpm that amps and torque drop of is 3250, 406rpm, 29mph. So you start at the limit of the controller and that 240lb-ft of torque is maintainable for first ____rpm, i need to figure or measure this, maybe rich has this info.

3. Let's say I could fit 18 batteries in the trunk alone for a 216 volt setup. I could also fit 7 more where the back seat is for a 300 volt setup. The three drawbacks to 25 vs's 18 would be the increase in weight, the additional battery expense, and to a lesser extent, the loss of the back seat.
25 vs 18 weight wise is some percentage of overall weight gain, Acceleration is
lost up to the point discussed,  then torque doesnt drop off as early so it is
better accelerationm at upper rpm's

With the 2500lb car, whichever motor, and the Zilla 2k if needed, what could the 1/4 mile be with 216 and 300 volts?
I,uh,er, are we starting a pool? Their are so many variables. The z2k is an awful lot of
power, like the suck amps video says could power a whole neighborhood. I think 1-8" would
be too small, but I hear a 9" just comes alive at 1000 amps. It becomes more an issue of
heat dissapation, not breaking axles,drivelines,gears, etc. I think you can see the logic
behind no the no transmission zombie with dual 8", series parallel switching to give 2
operating points and the bypass contactor to get around the current limit at higher voltages
problem.

4. With a series setup, does more batteries equal more range?
yes
What type of range could be expected with either the
216 or 300 volt setup? Orbitals most likely.

If I am picking a number out of thin air, (my EV isn't even done yet, but I have been lurking, calculating, scheaming for years) I am gonna say 30 miles to 80% DOD in 70degree weather. My 300Vzx is to have 25 orbitals on a zilla 1K, I need 24miles per day and am hoping that will workout. I may have to do some work to raise efficency and lower weight.

Series or parallel, KWH is KW; well sortof, Higher voltage systems have lower
currents and therfore less loss. This does not neccesarily apply to high
battery voltage and a low voltage wound motor, then the controller converts and
the losses are compounded. See argument between AC and DC sytems for more on
this subject :-)

Thanks for any info.

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.7.2 - Release Date: 1/21/2005

Ryan Stotts wrote:
> I'm still trying to grasp this whole electric
> range/performance thing..
>
> For these questions, lets use a 2500lb glider as the target
> weight, regardless of motor size and battery number to keep
> this simple.
>
> 1.  Which motor would be the fastest in the 1/4 mile?  The
>     8, 9, 11, or 13" WarP motor?

The one you stuff the most kilowatts into. I.e. any of these motors
could be the fastest, depending on circumstances. This will be
determined more by the batteries and controller -- they are the weak
link, not the motor.

> 2.  What number of 12v batteries in series would cause the
>     motor to be limited by a Zilla 1K?

It depends on the gearing. The faster the motor turns, the higher the
pack voltage you will need.

At low rpm, your HP is limited by the controller's motor current limit.
Battery pack voltage makes no difference. You just need batteries stout
enough to supply the current.

As rpm rises, motor voltage rises (and motor current stays the same;
i.e. in current limit). This means torque is constant, but with rising
speed, HP is rising, too.

At some speed, the controller reaches full-on. This is your point of
maximum HP. Like an ICE, you typically shift gears to hold the motor rpm
at/near this speed as you accellerate to maintain peak HP.

As motor rpm continues to increase, now the controller is fully on and
doing nothing. The current falls as rpm increases. Thus HP falls as
speed increases. So, your HP vs. RPM curve looks like this:

HP
max |  /\
    | /  \
  0 |/____\__rpm
    0    max

Interestingly enough, the motor only affects the rpm scale; not the peak
HP (except that some motors are more efficient; and all the motors you
mentioned are basically the same). It's the controller and batteries
that set the HP scale.

A further complication (as if it isn't complicated enough!) is that some
controllers like the Zillas have a programmable battery current limit.
This limits the battery current so you can use undersized lightweight
batteries for racing or economy runs without destroying them. A battery
current limit forces a HP limit -- the above curve gets a flat top above
the set max HP.

HP
max |  __
    | /  \
  0 |/____\__rpm
    0    max

Such a limit normally reduces the max HP, and slows accelleration.
However, it also reduces the need for shifting -- you get the same HP
over a range of rpm. So, even though the HP is less, you can use a much
lighter battery pack and get greater accelleration from the weight
savings. Or, if you're in a range contest, limiting battery current
makes them last longer (and keeps your speed down), to provide greater
range.

The other limit is heat. The motor will overheat long before the Zilla
does. Heat won't bother you in a 1/4-mile drag race, but it will on the
street. Here, the bigger the motor, the longer it can produce a given
amount of HP before it overheats.

> 3.  Let's say I could fit 18 batteries in the trunk alone
>     for a 216 volt setup.  I could also fit 7 more where the
>     back seat is for a 300 volt setup.  The three drawbacks to
>     25 vs's 18 would be the increase in weight, the additional
>     battery expense, and to a lesser extent, the loss of the
>     back seat.
>
>     With the 2500lb car, whichever motor, and the Zilla 2k if
>     needed, what could the 1/4 mile be with 216 and 300 volts?

Voltage has (almost) nothing to do with it. It's all about power and
weight. You'll get the best 1/4-mile time with whatever battery pack is
the lightest and delivers the most kilowatts for the 10-20 seconds
needed. Once you know this number, you pick a controller that can handle
that much power as well. Then finally, you pick a motor that won't burn
up or arc or fly apart at that power level.

> 4.  With a series setup, does more batteries equal more
> range?  What type of range could be expected with either the
> 216 or 300 volt setup?  Orbitals most likely.

More battery *weight* equals more range. It doesn't much matter what
voltage, or how they are wired.
has!" -- Margaret Mead
--
Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

This episode might air next month:

http://www.whistlerinvestments.com/media.php?mediaID=040831

>I am looking for an off the shelf charger just for charging
>indivual 12V
>batteries.  I would like one that has a 3-stage charge and
>can be set for Wet,
>AGM and gel batteries.

You might have a look at this one:

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?catcode=42301

~$400 though :(

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=eproduct.asp&N=120+400105+305284

>Suggest you peruse http://www.nedra.com and see what the
>electric
>drag racers do with various numbers of batteries.

I looked at that and the voltage and 1/4 mile numbers are
all over the place.  I don't see any consistency or patterns
except for the top 4 cars on the list.  From there it is a
mix and match of different voltages running different times:

http://www.nedra.com/record_holders.html

>Something else to consider is front wheel drive or rear
>wheel drive?

Sorry, I should have mentioned it's rear wheel drive.

>for range figure about 300 Wh per Optima
>or Orbital, and between 150 Wh/mile (optimistic) and 250
>Wh/mile
>(more realistic). I like Bill Dube's metric, take the car's
>original
>gas mileage and figure that's about how many miles about
>1000 pounds
>of lead acid batteries will take you.

So with a 25 battery setup, 50 miles best case, and 30 miles
worse case..  That will work for me.  18 bats at 36 best /
21 worse is cutting it close.  I can go everywhere I need to
go with the 25 setup.

>>Another good site for edification purposes is
>>http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/ -
>>should be required reading for every new listee *before*
>>they post their first
>>question. Plenty of other sites for those who need more
>>basic knowledge of
>>electricity and batteries -- got google?

I've been to that album many times.  At this point, I'm
feeling like I've been to all the EV sites.  Let me post all
my bookmarks; maybe I've missed a site or three?

Parts/Info

http://www.cafeelectric.com/
http://www.canev.com/
http://www.cloudelectric.com/
http://www.electroauto.com/
http://www.ev-america.com/
http://www.evparts.com/
http://www.grassrootsev.com/
http://www.manzanitamicro.com/
http://www.matchesmotors.com/
http://www.quickcable.com/
http://www.waytekwire.com/

http://www.becketts.ws/eaa/forsale.htm

Battery Group numbers and dimensional specifications:

http://www.rtpnet.org/~teaa/bcigroup.html

Battery strap/rack sizes and bolts sizes:

http://www.nedra.com/rulebook_tables.html

"So You Want to Build an Electric Car"

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/4214/build.html

Personal pages:

http://www.creativespirits.org/ev/s10/
http://www.electric7.com/
http://www.jerryrig.com/convert/
http://www.socalev.com/
http://students.washington.edu/toro66/index.html

Dear List Managers...

Is there Any Way to re-send these two digests. There were LOTS of messages I would love to read, but it seems no one ever received them. Can some one explain what happened ?? Or is it just too much trouble ?
--
Steven S. Lough, Pres.
Seattle EV Association

 --- Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This episode might air next month:
> http://www.whistlerinvestments.com/media.php?mediaID=040831

>From this link:
"The project will serve as a memorial to the officers of the California
Highway Patrol who have died in the line of duty."
     and
"This project will be a testament to heroism, technology and the
traditions of the CHP."

Gawd bless OCC for building an electric, and HE knows that being a
peace officer is dangerous work, and good people die, but a "memorial"
motor bike?

The only "memorial" I could find on their site was for a fellow that
made his name with world class graphics painted on vehicles?

I guess for my nextgen (illegal) escooter, I'll paint it the colour of
our national flag and dedicate it to all our fallen police officers.

I wonder if this will make a diff. the next time I am pulled over by
one of our finest...

It just seems a bit crass to me as an EV promo...

lock
eLegal and loving it

>Is there Any Way to re-send these two digests.  There were
>LOTS of
>messages I would love to read, but it seems no one ever
>received them.
>Can some one explain what happened ??  Or is it just too
>much trouble ?

I see them archived in full here:

--- Begin Message --- When I checked out the picture of this bike I was horrified. Why couldn't they get someone like Reverend Gadget who has a sense of style to build it. It appears to be a conversion. It is well below the creative abilities of Paul Jr. OCC has totally sold out on this one. It is not a fitting memorial to the fallen officers. It is obviously a publicity stunt by Whistler Investments. Anyone out there know of this company and it's subsidiary, Global Electric Motors. Anyone out there seen one of their E-Cobra motorcycles which appears to be a standard issue Chinese motor scooter with new paint. Is this another one of "Those" companies. I would love to receive any information on this, either on list or off.

Roderick

Roderick Wilde
"Suck Amps EV Racing"
www.suckamps.com