  1) nicad question
        by "Dodson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: OCC to build world's first Lithium-powered Chopper for the CHP
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: OCC to build world's first Lithium-powered Chopper for the CHP
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Interacter 12V Battery Charger
        by JCT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: OCC to build world's first Lithium-powered Chopper for the CHP
        by Lock Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Problem with list serve (ev@listproc.sjsu.edu)
        by Danny Ames <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: OCC to build world's first Lithium-powered Chopper for the CHP
        by Reverend Gadget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Magnecharger replacing
        by Alan Batie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: OT: OCC to build world's first Lithium-powered Chopper for the CHP
        by Reverend Gadget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: OCC to build world's first Lithium-powered Chopper for the CHP
        by "Chip Gribben" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Flywheel clocking
        by brian baumel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: Interacter 12V Battery Charger
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: OT: OCC to build world's first Lithium-powered Chopper for the CHP
        by Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Fwd: OT: OCC
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 15) Re: nicad question
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 16) Re: EV digest 4050
        by Jarrett Dunn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: OCC to build world's first Lithium-powered Chopper for the CHP
        by Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Gadget doing a show with an EV build
        by Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Color me dubious
        by keith vansickle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: OCC to build world's first Lithium-powered Chopper for the CHP
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Flywheel clocking
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Flywheel clocking
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Flywheel clocking
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Flywheel clocking
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: nicad question
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: nicad question
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: Color me dubious
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 28) OT re: EV taglines
        by Lock Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Re: nicad question
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 30) Re: OCC to build world's first Lithium-powered Chopper for the CHP
        by Reverend Gadget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 31) Re: nicad question
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Does anyone know if there are any problems with buddy pairing flooded nicads
like the bb600?
Thanks
Jerald

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Lonnie, Thanks for reeling me in. I jumped the gun and thought the bike was their "Stealth Motorcycle". I went and re-read their "forward looking statement" and also found out who was behind this company. Many of us on this list already know who Chaz Haba is. Thanks for posting the links. This bike will most likely never be built but they may be able to sell a few more shares of stock by using the OCC's name due to their popularity. Believe it or not it is the number one show on all of cable, not just on the Discovery Channel or at least it was several months back.

Roderick Wilde
"Suck Amps EV Racing"
www.suckamps.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lonnie Borntreger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: cameronsoftware.com
I am looking for an off the shelf charger just for charging indivual 12V
batteries.  I would like one that has a 3-stage charge and can be set for Wet,
AGM and gel batteries.  It would be nice if it is temperature compensated.

MK Battery, where I purchased my gel batteries, has on their web site
"Interacter" battery chargers.  They look like all I need and cost around $139.

Any body have good or bad comments about these chargers or maybe suggest another
brand?

thanks
Don

snip
Go for it Don.
These are really good chargers.
I use a 48V 20A Interacter since 3 years and it lives up to its spec and more.
JCT way over from Eastern Canada :-)

 --- Roderick Wilde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If it was underpowered and esthetically butt ugly
> it would be bad for EVs.

  Sorta like the Yongkang electric scooters :)  :(

Lock

This example may show that the list serve is possibly flaky.
I think this is correct, unless my email filtering is confusing me.
Did this post make the EVDL list ? If so its proof we have a problem still.
Danny
--- Begin Message --- Battery charger, LED's, DC/DC converters etc..... Lots of nice circuits that could be used in Electric Vehicles.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Bill_Bowden/homepage.htm#menu
Lawrence Rhodes
Bassoon/Contrabassoon
Reedmaker
Book 4/5 doubler
Electric Vehicle & Solar Power Advocate
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
415-821-3519

I was shocked to see the that OCC was doing an
electric chopper. It's one of the episodes we want to
do on my new show! but I felt much better after seeing
was they were basing it on. We're going to build ours
from scratch. and make it really futuristic. but more
on that later.

                        Gadget

http://www.whistlerinvestments.com/media.php?mediaID=040831

=====
visit my website at www.reverendgadget.com

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I'm curious if the PFC-30 could replace the magnecharger in the S10 EV's, or if at the very least, you can chop off the paddle and replace it with a plug of the appropriate type? If I have to use the magnecharger, the only place I'd be able to charge it would be at home.
* LP8.2: HTML/Attachments detected, removed from message  *

> That's the only kind of work OCC seems to do. Buy
> everything off the
> shelf, weld on some dohickies and call it a custom.

in the business OCC stands for Over the Counter
Chopper.

> Personally, I'd rather see a real custom chopper
> builder do a totally
> custom EV cycle. I'd want to see a custom designed
> frame so that the
> batteries and motor are mounted asthetically. I'd
> like to see complete
> fabrication from stem to stern on a public EV
> motorcycle build like this
> one.

 and that is exactly what we are going to do....

                    Gadget

=====
visit my website at www.reverendgadget.com

It appears that Chaz Haba may be involved with this if its Whistler
investments. The EV old timers know exactly who he is and some cringe at the
sound of his name.

Chaz has been involved in numerous EV ventures. He starts one EV company
then moves on to another one. Whistler sounds like one his latest companies.

Before Whistler he was involved with Lee Iacocca's E-Bike. Chaz has done
alot of work in the realm of Lithium ion batteries. He has on staff several
scientists researching Lithium ion as I was once told. I actually did see a
video a couple years ago of some Lithium-ion powered ATVs Haba was working
on.

One of his EV businesses actually supported our 2002 NEDRA Power of DC race.

So I'm not totally surprised if Whistler linked up with the CHP on this
project.

I am kind of disappointed OCC is going to get alot of attention building an
E-Motorcycle but it was just a matter of time. I would have liked to have
seen "Sucking Amps" build one if Discovery went forward with the show or
some other EVDL local person build one. Reason being is their heart would be
in it not necessarily the profit or publicity. This being a memorial bike
may upstage the fact that it is electric. I guess we'll have to see what
happens when it airs.

Chip Gribben
EVA/DC
NEDRA
144 volt Ford Escort
24-volt dual motor Schwinn Missile Scooter
24-volt Vego Scooter
36-volt TidalForce I/O
36-volt NiMH Hub Motor Stiletto Chopper
GE E10 Electrak

> On Sun, 2005-01-23 at 11:13 -0800, Roderick Wilde wrote:
> > When I checked out the picture of this bike I was horrified. Why
couldn't
> > they get someone like Reverend Gadget who has a sense of style to build
it.
> > It appears to be a conversion. It is well below the creative abilities
of
> > Paul Jr. OCC has totally sold out on this one. It is not a fitting
memorial
> > to the fallen officers. It is obviously a publicity stunt by Whistler
> > Investments. Anyone out there know of this company and it's subsidiary,
> > Global Electric Motors. Anyone out there seen one of their E-Cobra
> > motorcycles which appears to be a standard issue Chinese motor scooter
with
> > new paint. Is this another one of "Those" companies. I would love to
receive
> > any information on this, either on list or off.
>
> I don't think that the picture is the "memorial" bike from OCC.  The
> article says "a project of significant importance has been initiated
> with officers from the California Highway Patrol and Whistler
> Investments, Inc"..... note the "initiated" part.  Nothing is said of it
> actually happening.
>
> If I remember correctly, I once did some digging on this company I found
> a lot of negative results about the scamming ways of its founders.  Some
> examples that I could find just now in a quick search....
> http://www.stocklemon.com/articles/03_12_04.html
> http://www.stocklemon.com/articles/04_15_04.html
> http://www.stocklemon.com/articles/09_09_04.html
>
> Here is a message board on them:

http://netscape5.marketwatch.com/discussions/msgIndex.asp?siteId=mktw&parent
Id=2&forumId=27&boardId=61233

> Lonnie

does anyone have opinions on using either an optical
or magnetic sensor for clocking a flywheel? I have an
optical setup almost complete but am having second
thoughts. the bell housing is pretty much sealed. am I
over looking something that may cause a problem in the
future? does anyone have a suggestion of the best
adhesive to attach the mirror or magnet to the fly
wheel? I'm currently think of using JBweld.....

Thanks,
BCB

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

JCT (Jean-Claude?) thanks for the feedback - do have an EV on the road - any
web pictures?

thanks
Don

Victoria, BC, Canada

See the New Beetle EV Conversion Web Site at
www.cameronsoftware.com/ev/

[...]

You mean like:
http://www.vogelbilt.com/

Yes exactly. I have some photos of the Vogel bike in my gallery at V is for Voltage.

http://visforvoltage.com/gallery/Electra-Cruiser

This is the kind of build that should be featured in a television show.

I don't think that "any" publicity is automatically good, unless no one has heard of your product before. The fact that EVs have a reputation for being slow, ugly, bastardizations of gasser designs, I don't think reinforcing that stereotype is necessarily a good thing for the space. Hopefully the build on this show will have a positive effect for raising EV awareness.

I think it would be much better to for an EV to get featured on the show "Biker Build-off" where the builders have enough time to do the design right, and also the time to explain the reasons for the design choices that a proper purpose built EV requires.

If someone knows the producer for the Biker Buildoff show, maybe they can suggest getting someone like Vogel on the show to do a proper EV custom chopper.

-Ken Trough
Admin - V is for Voltage Magazine
http://visforvoltage.com
AIM - ktrough
FAX - 801-749-7807
message - 866-872-8901

<< I'm not sure you're watching the same show I am. I've seen these guys do a
half dozen choppers, and every one of them was from scratch. >>

Viewers tune in to see the family dynamics, not the height of creativity, so
even those that make their own frames and oil tanks, or construct custom motors
and transmission can't become nearly as popular without the "sturm und drang".
I've watched the show, and note how many items are "created" by opening
cardboard boxes.

<< Does anyone know if there are any problems with buddy pairing flooded nicads
like the bb600? >>

You don't want to charge nicads in parallel, but supposedly you can discharge
them that way.

We are obviously not watching the same show.  OCC buys most of there
fenders and tanks.  They even talk about the supply company they buy
them from.  The first time I've seen them build a tank from scratch
was this week.

That being said I like the show.  And paul Jr is a fairly capable
artist.  He is like a good interior decorator, the little frills and
details make all the difference in the world.

I personally would like to see any EV made on television with the
level of production that goes into OCC, monster garage, or monster
house.  Sucking amps was good, and it was good to put faces on some of
the people I've read about for years.  However, I believe the
production work was second rate.

> Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 14:18:24 -0800 (PST)
> From: Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Fwd: OT: OCC to build world's first Lithium-powered Chopper for the
> CHP
> To: EVList <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
>
> --- Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >  It appears to be a conversion.
> >
> > That's the only kind of work OCC seems to do. Buy everything off the
> > shelf, weld on some dohickies and call it a custom.
>
> I'm not sure you're watching the same show I am. I've seen these guys do a
> half dozen choppers,
> and every one of them was from scratch. Bend and weld raw stock for the
> frame. Their tanks are
> built up from sheet metal. Same with the fenders, handle bars, seats. I've
> seen them design a
> custom pattern for the wheels and then have another shop cut them out with a
> CAD CAM system. The
> only consistent purchasing they seem to do is for peripheral parts like fork
> tubes, light bulbs
> and some drive train parts (belts, hubs, gears.) What do you want them to do,
> mine the bauxite and
> smelt the aluminum before they have a custom engine machined up for them?
>
> I'm not voicing any opinion about Whistler or the dedication to the officer,
> but I've never seen
> these guys do anything but build from scratch.
>
> Now as to the pissing and moaning and fighting they like to do, that's
> imported from Hollywood.
>
> Dave Cover

 That's the only kind of work OCC seems to do. Buy everything off the
 shelf, weld on some dohickies and call it a custom.

I'm not sure you're watching the same show I am. I've seen these guys do a half dozen choppers, and every one of them was from scratch. Bend and weld raw stock for the frame. Their tanks are built up from sheet metal.

Alright. My bad. They must be doing more fab work lately. I watched the show from the beginning, but haven't followed the latest season out of sheer boredom. The episodes I saw from season 1 and season 2, they would buy a frame from this source, fenders off the shelf, wheels designed by another vendor, etc. It seemed to me that in the shows I saw, all they did from scratch was the bars, and sometimes the tank. Most of the time, they even started with a ready made tank and just welded dohickies to it. I can't remember them EVER welding up a frame from scratch in any episode I've seen. They always went to one vendor or another.

It will be interesting to see if they make the frame from scratch on this build. If there was ever a build that demands a custom frame, it's an EV build.

Maybe I'm wrong though. Do you think that a stock motorcycle frame designed for a gasser is a compromise for an EV cycle? If so, how much of a compromise is it? I know there have been numerous conversions and a handful of custom frames. What kind of custom features should an EV specific motorcycle frame incorporate? If the frame is 99% about handling and geometry, then a gasser frame should be fine. If the COG is critical to handling, then a custom frame that accomodates optimum battery and motor placement would be better.

As custom EV choppers are in my future, I'm very interested in opinions on this one.

-Ken Trough
Admin - V is for Voltage Magazine
http://visforvoltage.com
AIM - ktrough
FAX - 801-749-7807
message - 866-872-8901

I was shocked to see the that OCC was doing an electric chopper. It's one of the episodes we want to do on my new show!

Gadget's got a new show! Excellent. I've really enjoyed your builds on the BIG! show. Any word on a name for the new show and when it is likely to air? Is it totally EV centric?

My TIVO has some space reserved for you!

-Ken Trough
Admin - V is for Voltage Magazine
http://visforvoltage.com
AIM - ktrough
FAX - 801-749-7807
message - 866-872-8901

we have an Oxegen importer in carlsbad CA their
website is
www.pleiades-enterprises.com

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > Let me add my $0.02 worth as well with this link
> >
> > http://www.kasea.ca/showroom/ev100s/evader100s.php
> >

> Well, here's the first problem: you're waiting for a
> company called Evader, who
> has been making promises for years while 'evading'
> their investors! Can't
> someone in Canada import the EVT, Lepton, or Oxygen
> scooters? They're pretty
> comparable, so it's just a matter of getting *one*
> of these brands into the
> country!

The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
http://my.yahoo.com

Ken Trough stated:

Maybe I'm wrong though. Do you think that a stock motorcycle frame designed for a gasser is a compromise for an EV cycle? If so, how much of a >compromise is it? I know there have been numerous conversions and a handful of custom frames. What kind of custom features should an EV specific >motorcycle frame incorporate? If the frame is 99% about handling and geometry, then a gasser frame should be fine. If the COG is critical to handling, then a >custom frame that accommodates optimum battery and motor placement would be better. As custom EV choppers are in my future, I'm very interested in >opinions on this one.

With custom choppers handling is not the number one priority. Style is. The raked front ends increase trail which makes them very stable in straight line highway cruising but on the twisties you have a place in the corner where the front wheel flops over. In a tight corner it's a bit on the scary side the first time it happens but you can learn to live with it. My personal opinion is that it's hard enough to esthetically fit batteries in a full sized EV and that much more difficult in a conversion bike. If you go to the EV Album you will notice that most bike conversions end up putting batteries up on top of others due to space limitations increasing the height of the center of gravity. By building a custom frame you can put all the batteries low. you can also have a very low seating position. You can locate the neck in an entirely new location instead of at the front of the frame. That's all I will tell you on that one for now. I've already built the frame. I will show it when it's on the road. Sometimes you have to look at things from a totally alien perspective.

Roderick Wilde
"Suck Amps EV Racing"
www.suckamps.com

I try to take advantage of the OEM's R&D when I'm working on something
custom.  The only times optical encoders have been used (Chevy LT1
Opti-Spark, etc), there have been problems.  Even with the LT1's filtered
vent air retrofit, the optis tend to get dirty.  Just about everything in
the OEM world is either variable reluctance or hall effect.  My preference
would be variable reluctance because flywheel encoders are already
available as off-the-shelf parts.  With an OTC part, the added advantage
is that spare parts are as close as your friendly local auto parts store.

John

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 17:55:04 -0800 (PST), brian baumel
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>does anyone have opinions on using either an optical
>or magnetic sensor for clocking a flywheel? I have an
>optical setup almost complete but am having second
>thoughts. the bell housing is pretty much sealed. am I
>over looking something that may cause a problem in the
>future? does anyone have a suggestion of the best
>adhesive to attach the mirror or magnet to the fly
>wheel? I'm currently think of using JBweld.....
>
>Thanks,
>BCB

>Yahoo! Mail - now with 250MB free storage. Learn more.
>http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

---
John De Armond
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://bellsouthpwp.net/j/o/johngd/
Cleveland, Occupied TN

>does anyone have a suggestion of the best
>adhesive to attach the mirror or magnet to the fly
>wheel? I'm currently think of using JBweld.....

How about one of these?

http://www.msdignition.com/mag_6.htm

Or something else:

http://www.msdignition.com/1cranktriggers.htm

>does anyone have a suggestion of the best
>adhesive to attach the mirror or magnet to the fly
>wheel? I'm currently think of using JBweld.....

Another option might be to get one of the magnets at the
bottom of this page that is shaped like a washer.  Then it
could be bolted on:

http://www.unitednuclear.com/magnets.htm

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- At 05:55 PM 23/01/05 -0800, you wrote:
does anyone have opinions on using either an optical
or magnetic sensor for clocking a flywheel? I have an
optical setup almost complete but am having second
thoughts. the bell housing is pretty much sealed. am I
over looking something that may cause a problem in the
future? does anyone have a suggestion of the best
adhesive to attach the mirror or magnet to the fly
wheel? I'm currently think of using JBweld.....

Thanks,
BCB

Hi Brian (and all)

What the [EMAIL PROTECTED] is all this about magnets and gluing bits on that people keep bringing up. Have your flywheel machined with some slots in it, buy an industrial proximity switch and hook it up.

Rally cars use them to count the inside ends of wheelstuds, they can take the speed and the hammering from that. High pressure immersion, fully sealed.

They put out full voltage pulses, no amplifiers needed.

You can easily get aluminium detecting units (like I have) if you are going clutchless with an aluminium adaptor. Mine is a normal steel type that works with aluminium at half the distance.

There are dozens of manufacturers, Omron, Allen-Bradley, Peperl and Fuchs, Sick and many more. The only reason NOT to use one if you are using an unmodified flywheel and are counting the ring gear teeth, since the target minimum width and space minimum width come into it.

I admit I'm biased - working with industrial equipment on a daily basis makes me expect reliability, simplicity and ease of use on things that I get to specify. You can do it cheaper, depending on what your time is worth, or if you are willing to compromise on potential reliability.

James Massey
Launceston, Tasmania, Australia

If there is a reason to not charge "flooded" NiCads in parallel, please let
me know.

The reason that cylindrical NiCads can't be recharged in parallel does not
apply to flooded cells because the behave differently at end of charge.

Joe Smalley
Rural Kitsap County WA
Fiesta 48 volts
NEDRA 48 volt street conversion record holder

> << Does anyone know if there are any problems with buddy pairing flooded
nicads
> like the bb600? >>
>
> You don't want to charge nicads in parallel, but supposedly you can
discharge
> them that way.

If there is a reason to not charge "flooded" NiCads in parallel, please let
me know.

The reason that cylindrical NiCads can't be recharged in parallel does not
apply to flooded cells because they behave differently at end of charge.

visit my website at www.reverendgadget.com

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- This is something I probably am going to be doing soon, so I'll let everyone know how it goes.

I miss my 40+ mile range I had when I had 8 STM 100's on the bike. I only have 6 good modues left and did not like being limited to 42 mph that 36 volts provided. I was planning on using the surpluss Saft starting cells I have been collecting, but my supply has slowed to less then a trickle and I have not yet collected enough to build a full pack. I also don't see them providing more then 12 - 15 miles range which just isn't enough. I really neeeeed at least 17 miles so I can ride to Waylands house when big EVents are taking place. So my new plan is to put my 6 good STM's back on the bike and add 4 sets of 3 paralleled starting cells to up the voltage and get a little more top end. Of course this still may not be enough of a speed improvement, so I may end up just using buddy pairs, but that would leave me with a lot less range available. If I do this, I will probably carry a jumper I can use to jump across the starting cells to allow me some emergency 36 volt range since the STM's are 100 ahr and the buddy paired starting cells would only be ~ 60 ahr. I've got room for about a dozen of these cells once I get the 6 STM modules back on the bike.

From: "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "EV discussion list" <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 20:51:00 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "EV Discussion List" <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu> Sent: Sunday, January 23, 2005 6:25 PM Subject: Re: nicad question