  1) help
        by "Dennis D. Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Basic electronic controller question (higher battery voltage,
 than motor voltage?)
        by Jim Coate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Fuse placement
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: people willing to buy EVs OT: NiZn batteries
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Zilla /palm
        by "Steve Clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: people willing to buy EVs OT: NiZn batteries
        by "Ivo Jara G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) homen made contactor
        by brian baumel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: people willing to buy EVs OT: NiZn batteries
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: ETEK problem found.
        by "Ivo Jara G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Oh no.  My ETEK ate a brush?
 11) RE: ETEK problem found.
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Zilla /palm
        by "Christopher Robison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) 1999 electro truck
        by billb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: people willing to buy EVs OT: NiZn batteries
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Zilla /palm (better serial terminal?)
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: people willing to buy EVs OT: NiZn batteries
        by "Ivo Jara G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: people willing to buy EVs OT: NiZn batteries
        by "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: ETEK problem found.
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) (no subject)
        by "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: Zilla /palm (better serial terminal?)
        by "Steve Marks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Basic electronic controller question (higher battery voltage, than
motor voltage?)
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Zilla /palm
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: people willing to buy EVs OT: NiZn batteries
help

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Markus L wrote:
On these controllers battery amps are not equal to motor amps. To me this can only be if the controller is not at a 100% duty cycle and is due capacitors that buffer battery current
during the off cycle. So the battery may see a constant
current and the motor sees a higher pulse current. The
mean value of current over time (RMS?) should be the same, right?

Both the battery and motor see pulsed current. The average motor current is usually higher than the average battery current, unless you are at 'wide open throttle' in which case the two are equal.

However the total power does stay the same for both: the batteries are at a high(er) voltage and lower current while the motor is at a low(er) voltage and higher current. Voltage x current = power.

3. the motor can be run from a higher voltage battery pack than the motor rated voltage?

Many wound motors can be run well beyond their rated voltage, at least for short lengths of time. How far they can be pushed all depends on the particular motor and its windings. This is true whether an electronic controller or a big contactor is used.

The last question I am most interested. I own an elec-trak tractor
and it usually works with 36V with a compound wound 1.2HP motor. If I up the voltage to 48V for the field...

I think a couple of people out there have run the ET drive motors at 48 volts. The larger ETs (E20, C185, etc) use field weakening to get the top speeds, so you'd actually need to control your field to bring it down well below 36 volts for the same top speeds. Also note that in normal operation the drive motor will reach 10-12 (or 15?) HP peaks.

HOWEVER: the ETs use permanent magnet motors on the mowing deck. This type of motor does not take kindly to higher voltages. So if you change to 8 volt batteries to get 48 volts, you'd then have to have an additional controller for the mower deck.

_________ Jim Coate 1970's Elec-Trak 1992 Chevy S-10 BEV 1997 Chevy S-10 NGV http://www.eeevee.com

James Massey wrote:
> If you *do not* attach pack (+) to pack (-), and you remove a fuse
> from the middle of a string, then you will have a maximum voltage
> between any two points in the pack of half pack voltage. This makes
> it safer to work on, mostly by halving the possible places you can
> accidentally touch to get shocked.

This is true if there is *nothing* connected between pack+ and pack-.
But (for example) I have a little switching power supply across my pack
to provide power for the E-meter. It only draws a few ma, but...

One time I wanted to do some work on my battery box. I pulled the fuse
(from the middle of the string on that battery box). It was just a quick
job, so I didn't bother to unplug the batteries at the front control
box, or remove the front battery box fuse. I knew the main contactors
were off, so there was nothing connected.

Hah! I got bit when I went to put the fuse back! Full pack voltage
(132vdc in my case). Why? When I removed the fuse, the DC/DC's input
filter capacitor was already charged, so there was no voltage across the
open fuseholder. But as the capacitor discharged and the DC/DC went off,
the voltage slowly rose across the open fuseholder. When the capacitor
fully discharged, it was essentially a short from pack+ to pack-. That
put full pack voltage across the only "open" in that circuit; the fuse I
had removed.

Moral: *Always* disconnect your safety switches and fuses, even if you
don't think you need to!
has!" -- Margaret Mead
--
Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

I thought folks reported NiZn couldn't pull much current without
overheating. Are you sure you can get zilla levels of current from
them?

The EV1 and Tzero could do what you want on ~1300 lbs of lead acid
batteries.

--- John Westlund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> BTT, with Evertroll NiZn batteries in a Triumph GT6, I could
> have a 2,500 pound conversion that would accelerate in that
> 7-8 second 0-60 range I mentioned, pull 15s in the 1/4,
> consume < 190 wh/mile at 60 MPH speeds, go over 100 miles
> per charge highway, and top 130. For about a $15k conversion
> + restoration cost. If I could find an 'affordable'(Less
> than $6k for a pack) battery that could give me 100 miles
> range without having a pack weight in excess of 1,000
> pounds, I'd gladly sacrifice performance as long as it
> didn't get slower than about an 11 second 0-60 time,
> although I'd be glad to have more performance than that by
> far.

=====

http://my.yahoo.com

I am trying to change some setting on my Zilla and have a palm , . I'm at
the last part where I've picked a new number , got it in and it says "enter
amps 250 " but I can't find enter anywhere , looked on keybord , tried all
the othere bottens , hitting most just puts me back to the begining , . I
tryed other setting and always get to the same point , where it say enter
xxx then the number I put in ,
STeve Clunn

Certainly those are not "average" figures, in fact 0-60 in 9-10 seconds is
still pretty fast, if you count in your average calculation all the
econocars, and the bulgemobiles, in fact certain 4 door 4 cylinder sedans
clock 0-60 in days :)

6 to 7 seconds is a 5.0 mustang, and not stock. (and mustangs are fast)

ivo

From: "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 NiZn provided that
> possibility of more than 50 miles(FAR more!) without having
> to drastically give up on performance.

What we are getting tired of is that it's been a couple of years since this
happened... Evercells lost luster  a while ago.

Also you seam to be stuck on the fact that we COULD get power from them but
at at rather significant cost.
We were warned not to go over 300 amps. We could .... but not for long.
These batteries represented a 1/3 drop in total amps that we could pull
SAFEly...
They had plastic plates, too many amps and the plates melted... too hot and
you had a few grand of melted Zn  and plastic.

We considered them Range batteries not racing batteries.

I have the 3 we tested sitting on the Garage slab.....feet a way....

Yea the dream was NimH batteries for cheap... poor man's Nick met Hydride...
Sigh!!!!!

Lithium........is what our current dreams are made of.