  1) Re: people willing to buy EVs OT: NiZn batteries
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Silent EV .. Dog/Deer Repelling?
        by "Mark Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) YES! Re: Mixing battery chemistries!
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Oh no.  My ETEK ate a brush?
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Oh no.  My ETEK ate a brush?
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: Mixing battery chemistries!
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: people willing to buy EVs
        by "ProEV" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: perm 132 DC motor question
        by pekka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) link-10 and link-20 on ebay
        by cristin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Silent EV .. Dog/Deer Repelling?
        by "David Chapman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) link 10 and link 20 on ebay
        by cristin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Re-Send 4044 and 4046 ???
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Fuse placement
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: [zappy] Digest Number 2902
 15) Low power turn signal flasher
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) =?iso-8859-1?Q?Re:Low_power_turn_signal_flasher?=
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) ETEK problem found.
 18) Re: people willing to buy EVs OT: NiZn batteries
        by "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: ETEK problem found.
        by richard ball <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: link-10 and link-20 on ebay
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Fuse placement
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Basic electronic controller question (higher battery voltage, than motor
voltage?)
        by "Markus L" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Fuse placement
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) utility ev for sale in WA
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 25) E-tek repairs, parts, parts foe sale  Re: ETEK problem found.
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) RE: Hose for vacuum system
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: E-tek repairs, parts, parts foe sale  Re: ETEK problem found.
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- Average performance is not 7-8 seconds 0-60. Or 130+ top speed. I keep hearing crazy "average" numbers. Front wheel drive sports cars have to work hard to get into the 7 second 0-60 range. That's about all my turbo GTI would do while harming the clutch. And I think it would do 130, but only just. Average is probably more like 11 seconds 0-60.

The first GTI I had was a 10+ second 0-60 car and they called it a "pocket rocket" in its day.

Seth

for a reality check:

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/0-60times.html

On Jan 27, 2005, at 12:47 AM, John Westlund wrote:

Victor Tikhonov wrote:

I also don't want to mount, wire, and
maintain ~9,000 batteries or how ever many. ;) 25,
12 volts
is already to many. But I can deal with that.

There are 12V NiZn ones, 6V NiCd ones.

Regards

I thought Evercel was no longer offering?

I'd LOVE to be able to get ahold of the Evertrolls used in
Pullen's Accord. I could have above average performance(0-60
~ 7-8 seconds, 130+ mph top speed) AND 100+ miles highway
range for an affordable price(~ $10k conversion cost).

I currently do not know of any NiZn batteries that are going
for < $600/kWh. That is by far more expensive than Optimas
or Exides. The Evertroll NiZn that were going for $250 for a
nearly 1 kWh battery last year would have been a $5k pack
for me that would give over 100 miles range and supply about
160 battery horsepower for frequent use. Or if I spend about
$6k for the smaller NiZn batteries that used to be available
to get a high nominal voltage, like 300+ volts, I'd have
even more power on tap with the same good range.

Not to mention the operating cost would still be lower than
a gas car with battery cost factored in.

So please tell me, where can I get the said batteries you
mention? And if I can, what are the caveats? Have they
suffered in terms of quality due to changes in production
method? I'd love nothing more than to use them for the
conversion I'm doing.

Hi Bryan, When I built my Electro-Metro and now my electric Tracker
controller, I lowered the switching frequency to about 1500 hertz. (adjusted
with a sig-gen/scope off lamination/flabulation frequency so I don't hear it
in the cab) This makes for a more efficient cooler running control and
haven't hit an animal in the last 10 years.  I was the MAJOR cause of Road
Kill prior to doing this in the Roanoke, VA area.  I've read in Consumer
Reports and heard a study on NPR indicating that the deer whistles are a
placebo effect (they don't work), but hearing an eeeeeee coming at you
certainly does.  I live out in the sticks and drive through an area with
bear and lotsa deer (also wild dogs, cats, muskrats, beavers, squirrels,
possums and some things I'm not sure of). mark

From: "Lawrence Rhodes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Mixing battery chemistries!
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 01:08:35 -0800

I may wind up with 120v of extra NiCad. Is it possible to mix different chemistries in two different strings or will my Lead Acid be hammered by the NiCads loafing?
Lawrence Rhodes
Bassoon/Contrabassoon
Reedmaker
Book 4/5 doubler
Electric Vehicle & Solar Power Advocate
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
415-821-3519

Jim,

I looked at the only Florida site I could find, thru the eaaev.org link, and
there was no bulletin board.

Cliff

www.ProEV.com
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- mark ward wrote:
Anybody out there used the Perm 132 DC permanent magnet motor before. O the back of the motor ther is an arrow indicating a direction or rotation. What is the significance of this arrow? If this is an optimized direction of rotation-why is this so? is it because of the brushes? If so, because the Perm 132 motor doesn't seem to have any easy access to the brushes, how do I optimize it for the opposite direction or rotation. I cant imagine the arrow is there for no reason. Thanks

I have a PMG 132 in my boat. I have no experience of that direction of rotation aspect, other than it runs with a barely noticeable different sound when reversed. I tried the motor when it was a part, not attached to the saildrive. It does not make as much brush noise as the Etek that I have. The Etek sounds good when it is coasting to stop :-]

The arrow shows how the brushes are designed for the rotor to, well, rotate. Perhaps a slight angle from 90 degrees or maybe rotation from radial, thinking about the lemco'ish construction principle.

But my Perm Motor contact naturally said it is ok to run my motor the other way, the brushes might be consumed a bit faster that's all.

I suppose there should be a difference in amps/rpm without load but have no tacho so cannot tell. At power levels higher than this, eventual brush pressure or some such difference might not matter much. Or might make the difference between fireballing and not, if you're thinking drag racing or so.

The PMG 132 at 24V 110A (battery current) gets hot in 30 minutes and needs ducted airflow to keep cool.

Pekka
From: "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: E-tek repairs, parts, parts foe sale  Re: ETEK problem found.
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 08:51:32 -0700

As for motor temperature sensors, go to a motor shop and pick up some motor
overload temperature sensors  You can get them in any temperature rating you
need.

Get the ones that will auto reset when temperature of motor comes down.

This is normally a on off type of device, so you could used a LED
indication.

My motor sensors (have two of them at two different temperatures) is attach
to the field windings by this method.

Pick up motor insulation paper, tie strings, high temperature glass wire
slip on protectors and brush on motor enamel (or you can get this in a
spray) from the motor shop.

Wrap a area and tie on the insulation paper where the overload device will
set on. Brush on motor enamel over the paper and tie the sensor on. Slip on
the high temperature wire covers at this time, which should be long enough
to exist the motor.

Drill one or two holes in the motor shell, and install grummets for wire
exit with the high temperature wire covers on.  You can tie the ends of the
wire covers to prevent any dust or water to get in.

Now completely wrap more insulation paper over the sensor  Add motor enamel
over each layer of paper. Tie and secured the wrap insulation paper, so no
air is expose to the sensor  Finish off, by coating it with motor enamel.

Before installing the sensors, you should test them to see if they are
normally open.  Apply a heat sourced like a heat gun to test them out.

With the wires exiting out of the motor, used a wirewrap of wireloom to go
to a fuse of 1 or 2 amps at 12 VDC going to a optional switch so you can
turn on or off this circuit.

You can also install a meter sender unit, so you can read a indicated
temperature.  The water temperature sensor is too large and it would be
better to used a sensor that is smaller, that can be attach to the motor
windings a lot better.

What I have done, was go to a Heating supply store, that has all type of
heating sensor  The I used was a pyro type, (the one that sends a small
current when heated) used for gas flame detection. I got the one that had a
small stainless wrap over the copper sender tubing leads.  I than double
wrap this with wire spiral wrap and a high temperature covering.

I tested senser out by connecting it to a Stewart Warner Water Temperature
meter.  Applying some heat with a heat gun, this meter start to rise and
would peg.

To calibrated the meter to a corrected heat indication, I attach a separated
temperature sensor which I have in my multimeter.  You could use a small
solid state digital temperature meter made by Acurite which you can get for
less than $10.00 from WalMart.

I temporary install a variable resistor or pot in the circuit to the meter
to adjust the temperature meter temperature to the test meter.  I than
install a resistor to set it.

Some of these motor sensers are normally install on the inside frame of the
motor, not on the windings.  For this type, you would have to calculated
what the maximum motor frame temperature would get to for the maximum field
winding temperature to the rotor temperature.

A motor shop, should have the data for maximum temperatures on types of wire
insulation and what overload temperature sensors for what type of motors.