  1) Re:  pusher trailer info
  2) Re: WarP 11 and 13 questions
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Hub Motors, have anyone used these yet?
        by Frank Schmitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Control question
  5) Re: WarP 11 and 13 questions
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: WarP 11 and 13 questions
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Metallic Power Shuts Doors (Zinc air URL's)
  8) RE: WarP 11 and 13 questions
        by "Klemkosky, Mark A" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: WarP 11 and 13 questions
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Control question
        by Frank Schmitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Control question
        by richard ball <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: WarP 11 and 13 questions
        by "Christopher Robison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: WarP 11 and 13 questions
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: WarP 11 and 13 questions
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) EV letters to editor in The Christian Science Monitor
        by Jerry McIntire <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Hub Motors,  In Oakland, CA
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: WarP 11 and 13 questions
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: WarP 11 and 13 questions (dyno)
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: pusher trailer info
        by Tim Clevenger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: WarP 11 and 13 questions (dyno)
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: WarP 11 and 13 questions
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: WarP 11 and 13 questions
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) NiZN source
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: WarP 11 and 13 questions (Goldie)
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: High voltage EV audio system
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: WarP 11 and 13 questions (Goldie)
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: NiZn source
        by "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Zombie Dyno Time & the 2005 1/4 Mile Drag Season.
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Re: NiZn source
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 30) Semicad.totoi NiCad batteries
        by Mark Dodrill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 31) Re: Control question
        by keith vansickle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Grrr, I did say tadpole didn't I?  My mistake, my last trike was a
tadpole, current design is a "Delta" trike.  Sorry about that.

Be careful with the caster wheel design.  I've never tried one, but I've
read that they can be very unstable at speed.  Among other potential
problems, if you aren't careful with your design, it can end up moving
your center of ballance outward when cornering, which is exactly the
opposite of what you want to happen.

I did quite a lot of drawings/CAD work on my first trike and only a couple
mockups.  I ended up with a trike that was functional and comfortable to
sit on, but cumbersom to mount/dismount even without the fairing on.  Once
I started to add a fairing, it became obvious that I'd need to be a
contortionist.

The main problem was my handlebars.  I was using a tall "T" type arrangement.
Here is a link to a picture of the trike near completion:
http://www.vanderwal.us/ev/ebike/heh/p_trike.jpg

You can see the handlebars a bit better in this photo of just the frame:
http://www.vanderwal.us/ev/ebike/heh/p_frame.jpg

The problems with the T handle design:
A) it needed to be high enough and far enough back to avoid hitting it
with my legs while pedalling.
B) needed to be low enough that I could see over it.
C) needed to be far enough forward that it didn't hit my chest.

This leaves a pretty small region where the handlebars could be located.
Mounting the trike from the side was a bit awkward, but doable, however
trying to mount from above (i.e. like climbing into the cockpit of a
fighter jet) was really a pain.  Trying to do it with a fairing on,
without standing on the fairing, was ..well, let's just say I gave up on
the idea.

One possible solution is to move the handlebars up and forward, so they
end up over your knees.  I didn't like this because either you end up
blocking your vision or moving your head up to see over.  Neither option
was acceptable to me.

So, even though it tend to make your frontal area larger, I've decided to
go with something like Under Seat Steering (USS) instead of Above Seat
Steering (ASS)  (don't blame me, I don't make these acronyms up)

Anyway, the point (that I'm getting to in a round about way) is that I
think mockups (even if they are made of cardboard and bailing wire) are
more important than drawings/CAD.  It's really hard to model ergonomics on
a computer unless you have some really expensive software and a lot of
training.

FWIW, it takes roughly 200 watts to propell the average person, on a
standard bicycle, over flat terrain, at 20 mph.

A rough calculation on how much power it would require to move a 200lb
vehicle with a 165lb rider (average weight) up a 5% incline, comes out to
right at 1kw of input power.

So it sounds like you've got a good design so far.

> snip
>  25-35 mph.
> I was thinking 20mph max speed
>

> Fancy that: I too am working on a tadpole opposite
> configutation though-- two driven side wheels and a
> caster rear wheel (robot stearing)  very low to the
> ground-  full faring--possibly some solar panels-
> whole thing to weigh less than 200lbs 36/48v
> 2-500watt motors li-ion/caps
>
> do you have any drawings/engineering calks as to
> performance/computer inerface ideas etc
>

>> will be a tadpole
>> design (single front wheel) with electrically driven
>> rear wheels and
>> steering similar to the flevo bike.  This would
>> allow me to pedal-drive
>> the front wheel and avoid the long chain to the rear
>> that most recumbents
>> have as well as avoiding the twisting chain setups
>> that most front wheel
>> drive recumbents have.
>>
>> Now all I have to do is figure out a simple,
>> efficient, and light weight
>> method of connecting and disconnecting the pedals
>> front the front wheel.

> http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- When did this happen? Did you get new sponsorship from Hawker? I didn't think the Hawkers could put out nearly the amps of the Orbitals, but then again at 336V you won't need as high of amps to make the same HP. Oh, I can hear the sound of exploding Hawkers already... You are still going to use your neck snapping afterburner bypass, right? It's going to be a fun race season!

pushed by a new lighter pack of powerful 26 ahr Hawker batteries at 336V. To make 101 mph

If things don't work out as planned, it's still loaded up with 288V of Orbitals, and
though downright porky at over 2700 lbs., it should still be able to run a 12.7 -12.8 @
103-104 mph.

http://goldenmotor.com/
            Has any one bought from these people and
used these yet. They have very good prices and looks
like mini e teks. I'm really interested if they are
legit.

I bought an M-Wheel-12 from them for my e-mountainboard project with the higher-speed 36V BLDC motor.

Impressions? Like any hub motor, torque isn't outstanding. It's pretty quiet, though you do get some cogging noise/vibration. The wires are small (~18AWG, plus really tiny ones for the hall sensors) with crappy vinyl insulation, but that might be due in part to having to run them out the shaft. I don't know how good their controllers are (I'm using this servo-amplifier-in-a-brick thingy since I need 4-quadrant current control).

Airmail from China literally doubled the price, though.

-Frank
Well, you could always solve the skid steer problem by re-inventing the
wheel.  A swiss company did that 35 years ago and a company called Airtrax
is now building forklifts with these wheels that can move in any direction
without changing their heading or spin in place with virtually no wheel
scuffing.

Of course it looks a little complicated for a hobbiest to implement, but
you guys are resourceful:

http://www.designnews.com/article/CA435605.html

http://www.airtrax.com/technology/

> best bet is to drive the rear four wheels and steer
> the front two
> for this set up with hub motors you get the added
> bonus of natural differential action ( you will still
> have some tyre scrub but not as much)
> --- James Jarrett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > My wife and I were going through some old Mother
> > Earth News and Popular
> > Science magazines and we came across an old add for
> > the Max IV.  This is
> > an amphibious 6 wheel drive gizmo powered by a small
> > gasoline engine.
> >
> > I've always thought they were neat and got to
> > thinking about "Hey, that
> > would be a neat EV".  Now I have no intention of
> > converting one to
> > electric, those things are EXPENSIVE but I got to
> > thinking about
> > building a little 6wheel go cart/street runner.

Speaking of the 100 Mph club.
It's a new year... the Slate is clean for 2005.

So... all us fast Boys need to get out and do it again.

The rules are Real time slips. 1/4 mile runs.
Street legal, Tags, and  insurance required.

This is simply a NO BS club.

And for the record I am NOT a memeber. As I recall for 2004 and 4 only one
is John "Plasma Boy" Wayland
Am I wrong???.

Bikes are welcome...Same rules.

Otmar should have made it, and so should have Gone Postal.
didn't happen.

Time to try again.

On the Warp 11 and 13s. I have heard the 11 is s Kostov up grade...OK but
not the best for drag racing, and the 13 is rather expensive, and has a 4000
RPM redline. Both are buildt to order. Read not in stock.

This makes the Dual motor Advanced 8s and 9s setups a LOT more favorable.

I really like John's Warp 8s they really do the job. But he needs to get
going on his monster motor.

Charge at the Dyno site???
That's easy!!

If you have  a green box of mine.....