  1) Re: WarP 11 and 13 questions
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: WarP 11 and 13 questions
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: Bob Salem's Hot VW Pickup
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: More military NiCads up for auction
        by "David Roden " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: WarP 11 and 13 questions (tach)
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: WarP 11 and 13 questions
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Turnabout trailor
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Charging cord ejection
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: NEDRA 100 mph Club Clarification
 10) Madman's 100mph no BS club
        by Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Good flooded battery dealer in DFW/Austin, TX area?
        by Mark Hastings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: WarP 11 and 13 questions
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: WarP 11 and 13 questions
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Turnabout trailer
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Turnabout trailer
        by "Doug Hartley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Turnabout trailer
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Turnabout trailer
        by "Doug Hartley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Electric camping trailer with generator,  Re: Turnabout trailer
        by "Doug Hartley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Liquid Tin
 20) Re: WarP 11 and 13 questions
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: (no subject)
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 22) Re: Liquid Tin
        by Andrew Paulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: WarP 11 and 13 questions
        by Mark Farver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: WarP 11 and 13 questions
        by "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: NEDRA 100 mph Club Clarification
        by "Steve Clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: NEDRA 100 mph Club Clarification
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: Liquid Tin
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 28) Re: NEDRA 100 mph Club Clarification
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) RE: WarP 11 and 13 questions
Otmar,

Which tach are you talking about, stock in ICE cars or dyno stand?

My tach in Honda works perfectly with 12V pulses supplied,
and so does Sheer's. In fact if normal automotive tachs
would require 60V or so (which with 12V systems makes no sense),
you'd think Siemens would make such output available to drive
stock tachometers in cars?

Victor

Otmar wrote:

At 7:55 PM -0800 2-3-05, Victor Tikhonov wrote:

Mark Farver wrote:

Victor Tikhonov wrote:

Yes.. but the signal is low current. The LV dyno probe is an inductive pickup designed to key into the fairly large 12v current spikes leading into the ignition module. We tried the Siemens tach signal and with just the factory tach attached the current pulses were not high enough to trigger the sensor.

Are you sure you wired it correctly? It's open drain output, did you use
a pull up resistor to the +12V rail?

Still, this is a "signal" signal, not a driver to do some work on any load. So reasonable load like tachometer it can drive, few hundred mA.

Victor,
Many tachometers require 60V to trigger. For that your pull-up resistor will not work at all. You'll need a circuit like the one I built using the circuit supplied by Stan Witherspoon on the EVtech list.
Here is the circuit:

Here is what actually worked:

                               + 12 -+----+
                                     |    |
                ~ 73 Ohm (3x 220 ohm >    |
                   1 W  in parallel) >    |
                                     |    |
                               White |    | Green
                          R S         )||(    RS
                           +12        )||(    273-1380
         isolated          |    8 ohm )||( 1k ohm
            +12V           >          )||(
              |      10K   >     Red |    | Blue
              >            >         |    +-----------> to tach
       15K    >            |     c |/
              >       +----+-------|  TIP29
              |       |          e |\
            __|_    |/               |
            \  /    | 4N37           |
            _\/_    |\              Gnd
  Square wave |       |
  From V/F----+      Gnd

Otmar and anyone else, feel free to use this circuit or any modifications.

And then there was Waylands Datsun tach which seemed to require a 2 amp pulse to trigger, yet another circuit I built. (If anyone need this let me know, I can find a diagram)

hth,

Andre' Blanchard [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> As far as the tires growing.  When the car is chained to a
> dyno, do the tires grow at the same rate as they would on
> the same car at the track?

An excellent question!  I would guess that they would not, but don't
know how significant the difference might be.

> You are arguing both sides here Roger.  In another message
> you said. "The big unknown is the HP and torque values, once
> this info is available it is a trivial exercise to translate
> the HP and torque curves at the rear wheels back to those at
> the motor."

Yes, I suppose I am. ;^>

But, the contexts of the messages were different.  You were suggesting
that any racer serious enough to put their car on a dyno would know what
their drivetrain ratio is, and I provided examples of the unknowns that
remain to make this statement false.  I would even go one further and
suggest that serious racers don't (just) put their car on a chassis
dyno, they dyno the motor on its own.

EVers who want motor info badly enough can certainly do the same; many
major centers will have electric motor rebuild shops with the facilities
to dyno motors *much* larger than the puny things we use (e.g. into the
1000s of HP).

In my reply to Neon, I am pointing out that if you have a manual tranny
(i.e. no torque convertor slip to account for), then once you have the
rear wheel HP and torque, it is a simple matter to translate these
values back to the motor shaft.  All that is required is somewhat
accurate knowledge of at least one engine RPM-to-road speed
correspondance in each gear of interest.  Since this will be based on an
actual observation of a tach and speedo, it will account for any tire
growth at that speed.

No argument that if you can provide a clean motor RPM to the dyno
software in the first place you make things easier, and probably a bit
more accurate; all I'm saying is that you ought to be able to get the
rear wheel values without the engine RPM signal, and that once you have
that info you can always translate it to motor shaft values later.

Rich Rudman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Alright......
>         I have just had the racing glove slapped across my
> Face....And it HURT! We will just have to see Who owns the
> Front drive single motor Fame... It's a long season...... and
> I have the parts.... A couple of spare motors, a spare
> tranny... A Zilla2K and 20 Orbitals...and more if I want 'em.

WooHoo!  Now *this* is going to make for an interesting year! ;^>

On 4 Feb 2005 at 5:19, Dave Cover wrote:

> Does the Saft watering system work with Marathon cells?

Saft's system is sold as part of the Saft modules or cells.  You might be able
to buy the caps as replacement parts.  (Whether they'd be any cheaper than,
say, Watermaster, I don't know.)  If the Saft caps fit the Marathon cells, they
might work, but I wonder whether they'd maintain the correct electrolyte level
in a "foreign" cell.

Hmm, with nicads, unlike with lead batteries, you don't really pay any penalty
in cycle life for not charging them fully.  So I suppose if range isn't an
issue,
you might be able to hold them below the gassing voltage on at least some
cycles, or at least reduce the time they spend in the gassing stage.  This
would reduce the need to water.  But you would still have to take them above
the gassing voltage at least periodically to keep them equalized.

> What about the Nickel Iron Cobalt batteries, do they need watering?

Nickel Iron batteries are notorious for having a voracious water appetite.  I
believe I've read that they even gas during DISCHARGE, though I don't know
how that's possible.

Looking at the instructions for these aftermarket tach's; I
don't see any special requirements for hooking them up..

http://hp.autometer.com/instruction_download/tachometers.html

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Ah, so a diesel has a stock tach generator of some sort that interfaces with the Dyno? Is it just a magnetic pick up (Hall effect)? Could something like that be engineered for an EV?
David C. Wilker Jr.
USAF (RET)
"I'm figuring out what's good for me, but only by a process of elimination"
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: "Rich Rudman" > The Madman 100 mph club is AS I stated...

> 100 mph on a time slip from a track.
> Licensed and titled... and completely street legal.
>
> All takers welcome... %100 electric Only.
>
> And the slate clears at years End... You have to do it every year.
>
> No BS...
> That's the kind of club I want to be a part of.
>
> Madman.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Rich, I carefully re-read your post and could not find any mention of you referring to "The Madman 100 mph club". As the only 100 mph club mentioned previously on this list concerning electrics was the NEDRA one, I mistakenly thought you were referring to that one. Since I haven't developed the ability to read minds I didn't know you were naming one after yourself. Why you would start a club that you could never be a member of is beyond me. Concerning the "Maniac Mazda", we have raced it licensed and insured but due to the modifications I think it would be very unfair and unsportsman like to try and pass it off as a street conversion class vehicle. GP is another story as you proved it could be street driven by driving it clear to Kingston from Port Townsend.

Roderick Wilde
"Suck Amps EV Racing"
www.suckamps.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
This post by Rich may tend to confuse some folks. The Roger Hedlund 100
mph
Club is for any electric vehicle that breaks 100 mph in the quarter mile.
It
does not have to be licensed, it doesn't even have to be a car. It can be
dragster, a motorcycle, or a concept vehicle. It does have to be powered
by
onboard electric power.

Roderick Wilde
NEDRA President

Rod, don't be confused Rod.....

The Madman 100 mph club is AS I stated...

100 mph on a time slip from a track.
Licensed and titled... and completely street legal.

All takers welcome... %100 electric Only.

And the slate clears at years End... You have to do it every year.

No BS...
That's the kind of club I want to be a part of.

Madman.

So far Plasma Boy has a 2004 entry, and is rather lonely up there.

Gp or Maniac Mazada could do it... and I know you still have a zilla in GP.
Put it in the Mazda. Come on Rod.... don't sit on your Laurels.. make new
ones or get off the Pot.

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.8.5 - Release Date: 2/3/2005

It's very expensive, and in my opinion, not worth it.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/awmatt/088.jpg

This picture shows three boards I treated with the stuff.  I regret using it
because of its very dull appearance/texture.  It's nothing like what you'd see
on a factory-built circuit board, which is what I was expecting.  I recommend a
600-grit sandpaper instead - it looks and solders great.

Hope this can be of help!

- Arthur Matteson

Good idea!!!
righ now I have to get Plasma boys ideas since he's the only member.

As to my NOT ever being a memeber.. Well... don't count on that very long
Rod!!

Paul G. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'm not suggesting that we get "no useable information", only
> that to get accurate motor power and torque curves we need
> accurate motor rpm. For brushed motors I think we *want* this
> kind on info (and all the fastest EVs in the quarter mile use
> brushed motors :-)

Except that you *can't* get accurate motor power and torque from a
chassis dyno, accurate motor RPM or not.

The chassis dyno cannot account for the unknown drivetrain losses, so
all it can give you is rear wheel HP and torque referred back to the
motor shaft.

If you want accurate motor HP and torque values, pull the motor and have
*it* dynoed; if you want a decent idea of motor power, either provide an
accurate motor RPM signal to the dyno or use your knowledge of what RPM
your motor spins at a given speed in a given gear to translate the rear
wheel HP/torque vs MPH plots back to the motor shaft.