  1) Sick EV Humor Revisited
        by billb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Cursit questions (undervoltage lockout).
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: NEDRA 100 mph Club Clarification
        by "Steve Clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: NEDRA 100 mph Club Clarification
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Bob Salem's Hot VW pick up
        by Dave Stensland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Converting a Dodge Caravan
        by "Tom Shay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Converting a Dodge Caravan
        by Chris Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Road Speed
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  9) Re: Cursit questions (undervoltage lockout). -sepex questions
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Cursit questions (undervoltage lockout). -sepex questions
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: ~OT:  Least aerodynamic vehicle ever made?
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: ~OT:  Least aerodynamic vehicle ever made?
        by Reverend Gadget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Rabbit, Elec-trak, batteries for sale in Sharon, MA
        by Ken Olum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Converting a Dodge Caravan
        by "David Chapman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Road Speed
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: ~OT:  Least aerodynamic vehicle ever made?
        by richard ball <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Converting a Dodge Caravan
        by Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: High Voltage - let go!
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Converting a Dodge Caravan
        by Chris Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: More military NiCads up for auction
        by "M.G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Sick EV Humor Revisited
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: More military NiCads up for auction
        by Reverend Gadget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: More military NiCads up for auction
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: DC/DC Converter manual?
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: DC/DC Converter manual?
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: ~OT:  Least aerodynamic vehicle ever made?
        by Michael Hurley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: NEDRA 100 mph Club Clarification
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: Converting a Dodge Caravan
        by "David Chapman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- Hey motors stuffed down the cylinders with bevel gears, retaining the original heavy engine block........ I LOVE IT
!!!
Hide a small batt pack and controller underneath put on an old cylinder head and carb, then do a candid camera type episode the gags would be endless !!!
Such as : Look what has been invented, it runs on water or what ever and the engine does not need a radiator He He.
Bill Brinsmead

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Of course, I have a nice 600A sep-ex controller that is going to waste. I think it goes down to 36V.

Seth

On Feb 6, 2005, at 2:32 PM, Keith Richtman wrote:

Curtis specifies an undervolt cutback at 64V in their datasheet.
<http://www.curtisinst.com/index.cfm? fuseaction=cProducts.DownloadPDF&file=1231C%2Epdf>

Keith

Rod Hower said:
I have a question concerning the following
Curtis 1231-8601, 96-144V, 500A
Is there an undervoltage lockout, and if so
at what voltage.

It's a common question we all get asked. "How fast can it go?" If someone
asks you that, and your EV can go up to 70, 80 or 90 mph and people just say
"Oh", we can say,  "If you want to see some EVs that can go over 100 mph
check out the 100 mph Club on the NEDRA site".

Along these lines how about the 10,000 mile club , for people who have
driven over 10k on the same set of batteries. Somebody who wants to set up a
web site on this ? It could be a little more lax on proof , any way out
claims would need verification , each entry could tell a little about the
setup  ,or a 100 mile club , for those who have driven over 100 miles on a
charge.

Steve Clunn , with 11,000 miles on my golf cart battered Mazda pu ,

Chip Gribben
NEDRA Webmaster
http://www.nedra.com

Hey Chip this sounds good!
    Once in stay in Nedra's 100 club,stay in, let the list grow!!

Madman's 100 club is should be a tight group of us street racers... and I
want the slope short and slippery, and up hill.
It's hard, and not easy or cheap... and that's why it's important to me.
    I am the first to say either of my EV might not have what it takes. This
is going to be tough to do. Some have said impossible. Ok now that's a
challenge worthy of my efforts.

As for the Maniac Mazda.. If Rod wishes, I will be up there to help get it
back on the road and at track side Kicking Bitching and driving it as fast
as we go. Look, I want more folks in the Nedra 100, I just get tired of
ROD,.... yes I am picking on you! Saying he has a 100 mph EV, when I drive
by the rusting molding Maniac every time I go up there, and think Wow, with
some work , we could be hunting 11s or high 10s with that thing.
    In the same light... this is why my Fiero is coming back.... Having a
Dead EV has been, is not the image I wish to live with.

Rod should beable to kick my Butt with anything he has. I will gladly help
him do it.
Vaporizing motors just to get ahead of me is.... not very sportsman like
Rod!!! DO it again!!!

visit my website at www.reverendgadget.com

I bought a Force and now my 1981 Rabbit conversion is for sale.  I'm
replacing the batteries in the Force, so the old ones will soon be
available.  I also have an Elec-trak E15 electric tractor and
associated equipment.

See http://cosmos.phy.tufts.edu/~kdo/ev/forsale.html for details on
all these.

Everything is in Sharon, MA.

                                        Ken

Thanks for doing the math for us Peter. So Ryan, thats the answer. Direct
drive would not be the ticket. But now consider, take a regular single shaft
9". Calculate the ratio necessary to keep the motor in/near its effeciency
curve at say 45-70 MPH. Then look around for an "off the shelf" pair of
straight cut gears or preferrably a morse chain and gears that are suitable
for the HP and Torque. I think you can see how simple it would be to build a
single speed oil bath "transaxle" once you found the gears. One of the
benefits of doing a gear reduction unit is that you could make the final
drive shaft mimic the width of the 3 spd automatic and have the same spline
and seal setup for the drive flanges. This would let you use the stock
axles. Probably build a mount setup to mimic the 3 point hanging motor setup
in the Caravans. If anyone cares to figure out the gear ratio needed as
above and find a good source for the gears or chain and sprockets (maybe a
4x4 transfer case could be the donor) I would be glad to layout the gear box
design. Next time I am down at Ecology I will see how much a blown up 3 spd
auto core (2.5 ltr 4 cyl) would cost. Small gear or sprocket should lend
itself to mounting on the shaft of a 9" or be adaptable to be turned into a
taper lock and keyway drive, and the large gear should have an ID of around
1". Did pretty much this same thing years ago for a mud truck, was fairly
easy to build and stout, at least never broke on my watch.

David Chapman
Arizona Electropulsion / Fine-Junque
http://stores.ebay.com/theworldoffinejunque

> >>How about a direct drive setup with a dual shaft motor
> >>mounted transversely?
> >
> > My only question is at what RPM do 25" tires turn at 60 mph?
> > Or pick any other tire height or mph if it makes the math
> > any easier or more relevant.  Anyone know how to figure
> > that?  I searched online and all I could find were
> > "calculators" and tables that needed or included gear
> > ratios.  Not just a formula to figure tire rpm at a given
> > speed like I was looking for.
> >

> There are 5280 feet in one mile.  Basic geometry states that the
> circumference of a circle is equal to Pi (approx 3.14159) * Diameter.
> So 25" * 3.14159 = 78.54" = 6.54 feet.
> 5280 feet / 6.54 = 806.7 revolutions per mile.
>
> At 60 mph you are traveling 1 mile every minute so, that means 806.7 revs
> per minute (RPM).

To calculate MPH used the following:

          MPH = (RPM x TC)/(RA x 1056)

Where:   TC = Tire Circumferance in inches
         RA = Overall gear Ratio

         The constant- 1056 is a factor that's
         converts the inches per minute to MPH
         by:

   60 minutes times the wheel circumference which
   gives inches per hour

   divide by 12 to give feet per hour and then

   divide by 5280 feet to give miles per hour.

Therefore:

                   60
                --------- = 1056

                 5280  (feet in a mile)

You could used the following formula using tire diameter:

          MPH = (RPM x TD)/(RA x 336.3)

Where:   TD = tire diameter in inches

         The factor 336.3 is deride from

             1056 / 3.14 (or PI)

It is more accurate to use the wheel circumference and the 1056 factor.

When purchasing a tire from a deal, they have the data in tire diameter.

When you have the tire mounted then do the calculations by tire rolling
circumference.

Example:

On a flat grade, put a mark on the tire and on the floor.
Roll the tire one turn and mark the floor again adjacent to the mark on the
tire.

Measure the distance between the two marks.

This will be your tire running circumference.

Example of calculation:

Lets find the MPH at 1000 RPM

You have a overall gear ratio in of four to one or (4:1) in the last gear in
the transmission.

Note: If you want to find the overall gears in each transmission gear, than
take that transmission gear ratio time the differential gear ratio.

Lets say the distance between the two marks are 90 inches.

Therefore:

      RPM x TD       1000 x 90    90000
MPH = -----------  = ---------- = ----- = 21.3
     Ratio x 1056    4.0 x 1056   4224

So it would be about 21 mph per 1000 rpm.

> >>My only question is at what RPM do 25" tires turn at 60 mph?
> >>Or pick any other tire height or mph if it makes the math
> >>any easier or more relevant. Anyone know how to figure
> >>that? I searched online and all I could find were
> >>"calculators" and tables that needed or included gear
> >>ratios. Not just a formula to figure tire rpm at a given
> >>speed like I was looking for.
> >

> >Try: http://www.csgnetwork.com/tireinfo4calc.html
>
> Here are a couple other ones to explore:
>
> http://www.4qd.co.uk/faq/roadspd.html
>
> http://www.4qd.co.uk/faq/current.html

not to mention the huge great trailer the thing has to drag behind it !!
not much use having a slick tractor unit if it's pulling a big flatsided
shipping container for thousands of miles.

=====
visit my website at www.reverendgadget.com

Regards
Richard

David Chapman wrote:

Thanks for doing the math for us Peter. So Ryan, thats the answer. Direct
drive would not be the ticket. But now consider, take a regular single shaft
9". Calculate the ratio necessary to keep the motor in/near its effeciency
curve at say 45-70 MPH.

<SNIP>

A 4000 to 5000 pound EV with only one gear and a single 9" Advanced DC motor? Isn't this going to be one heck of a slug off the line? Consider this:

Max speed 70 mph
Tire diameter 25"
That works out to wheel rpm of 940 rpm at 70 mph.
Assume max safe rpm of 5000 for the 9".

5000/868 = 5.32 overall.

That is just a bit lower than 3rd gear (4.69) on my Civic. If I tried to drive the Civic in 3rd all the time, it would become a horrible amp sucking dog. Fine on the highway, but impossible on hills or in stop and go traffic.

This kind of conversion might work well with an AC drive motor and it higher rpm limits, and thus a numerically higher gear (ie 2nd instead of 3rd), or with a modified high rpm DC motor, but with a stock 9"? Smells like smoked motor to me, unless you had a very light vehicle, which a Caravan conversion certainly wouldn't be.

If you really wanted to go this route, I would think simply using a standard 5 speed with the proper gear selected and the shift linkage locked into just that gear would be a much simpler project. Isn't that basically what AC Propulsion did on their Honda conversions? I think Canadian Electric did that on some Geos as well. I just don't think it is going to work on a large heavy vehicle, at least not with the available motors. Maybe the two speed manual trans in the TEVans was there for a reason. (and they really needed another gear).

If you are curious, there is a website with more info on the Dodge FWD trannys at:

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/trans_guide.html

I suspect with some judicious selecting and maybe playing with tire sizes you might find something that could work in a light, flat land EV, but I am still dubious about a Caravan with only one gear, at least one expected to do 70 mph. If you could live with say 55 mph, then it might be more reasonable.

Strange thought: Two 9" motors coupled like Otmar's 8" units? Now both motors are under much less stress and combined with a Zilla you could do the series/parallel thing and get the effect of a two speed shift as well.

Thanks,

Mike Chancey,
'88 Civic EV
'95 Solectria Force
Kansas City, Missouri
EV List Photo Album at: http://evalbum.com
My Electric Car at: http://www.geocities.com/electric_honda
Mid-America EAA chapter at: http://maeaa.org
Join the EV List at: http://www.madkatz.com/ev/evlist.html

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- At 09:13 AM 6/02/05 -0700, Peter VanDerWal wrote:
> fatal shock at quite low voltages. I'm told that a US Navy tech having
> heard the term 'internal resistance' thought that it referred to people,
> and so he stabbed himself through the thumbs with a pair of multimeter
> leads - and achieved enough current to kill him from 9V (no-one saw him do
> it). Perhaps someone on list can confirm this? (might be a tale, Darwin
> awards may have it).

I'm 99.997% certain that this is a Myth. <snip>

I found the story on Darwin awards website - a search on their site for "resistance" or "navy" turns it up.

"1999 Darwin Award: Resistance is Futile: A US Navy safety publication describes injuries incurred while doing don't's. One page described the fate of a sailor playing with a multimeter in an unauthorized manner."
Darwin doesn't say if it is proven true or false - but one contributor states:

"August 2000 <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>Dan Wilson elaborates:

I'm a former Navy petty officer, enlisted for six years as an electrician aboard a US Submarine. I got a lot of training. This story was used frequently during my training in the US Navy as an example of what can happen when procedures and safety measures are not followed. I considered the story an urban legend until I found the incident report referenced in the official Navy electrical safety guidelines. I now know it is true."

Of course the old saying is as true as ever:
The trouble with trying to make things foolproof is that fools are so ingenious.

Be safe.

James
If you really wanted to go this route, I would think simply using a standard 5 speed with the proper gear selected and the shift linkage locked into just that gear would be a much simpler project. Isn't that basically what AC Propulsion did on their Honda conversions? I think Canadian Electric did that on some Geos as well. I just don't think it is going to work on a large heavy vehicle, at least not with the available motors. Maybe the two speed manual trans in the TEVans was there for a reason. (and they really needed another gear).

That's how the Prizm is rigged; one speed, locked in second gear. It's actually quite peppy even starting on steep hills.

I think part of the trick is that the AC motor is rated to 8,000RPM (about 80mph) so you do have a lower gear but the real deal seems to be that when you go to AC you can adjust the timing on the fly. Thus you start out with a lot of torque, then at about 3,000 RPM you switch over to a speed mapping and sacrifice torque for top-end speed.

Is anybody interested in making a group buy on these?
I need about 200 cells..
Mike G.

Tim Humphrey wrote:

see

http://www.drms.dla.mil/catalog/pdf/33-5004.pdf

pay particular attention to item 20.

it's in Virginia

32,096 pounds of aircraft NiCad cells.

SAFT PN 017371-000

below is a small excerpt....

Characteristics Data for 6140-00-881-6887 Item Name: BATTERY,STORAGE
Requirement Statement          Clear Text Reply
ITEM NAME                      BATTERY,STORAGE
TERMINAL QUANTITY              2
TERMINAL TYPE                  TAP-SCREW
OVERALL LENGTH                 3.135 INCHES NOMINAL
TEMP RATING                    -22.0 DEG FAHRENHEIT
OVERALL HEIGHT                 9.400 INCHES NOMINAL
OVERALL WIDTH                  1.390 INCHES NOMINAL
SEPARATOR MATERIAL             PLASTIC
CASE MATERIAL                  PLASTIC
BATTERY ELECTROLYTE            ALKALINE
PORTABILITY METHOD             ANY ACCEPTABLE
FORDING FEATURE                NOT INCLUDED
SUBMERSIBILITY                 NONSUBMERSIBLE
AMPERE HOUR CAPACITY           34.00
TIME CAPACITY IN HOURS         2.00
DISCHARGE TIME IN MINUTES      1.0
LOW TEMP AMPERE HOUR           12.00
CAPACITY
CELL QUANTITY                  1
PLATE MATERIAL                 NICKEL-IRON COBALT ALLOY
PLATE QUANTITY PER CELL        31
NONSPILLING FEATURE            NOT INCLUDED
DISCHARGE RATE IN AMPS         772.00
CHARGE INDICATOR               NOT INCLUDED
ELECTROLYTE LEVEL INDICATOR    NOT INCLUDED
INTEGRAL CHARGING FACILITY     NOT INCLUDED
PLATE TYPE                     POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE
CASE DESIGN TYPE               FILLING PLUG OPENINGS
VOLTAGE IN VOLTS               1.2

I would appreciate it if the successful bidder would offer me a hundred or so cells at cost :-). I was going to bid, but I can't handle that quantity right now.

billb wrote:
> Hey motors stuffed down the cylinders with bevel gears,  retaining the
> original heavy engine block........ I LOVE IT

For many years, my electronics magazines have occasionally featured ads
where some familiar object (race car, bull's head, the world, etc.) was
made out of pieces of electronics technology. They are just works of
art; not functional devices of course.

I've daydreamed that it would be fun to build an EV "engine" (batteries,
motor, controller, etc.) that is arranged and painted to look like a
car's engine. Put it in a 'hot rod' where the engine is often exposed
anyway.

For example, DC motor at the bottom where the crankshaft would be,
connected to a bell housing as usual. Eight Optimas, 4 on each side,
tilted like the eight cylinders of a V-8. Controller on top, with a big
chromed heatsink like an air cleaner. Belt drives to an alternator,
power steering pump, etc. just like a regular car engine. Contactors
like carburetors. Everything painted, chromed, and detailed just like
they do show-car engines.

And of course, it works!
--
If you would not be forgotten
When your body's dead and rotten

Does anybody have any idea of how many cells are
available?

                           Gadget

=====
visit my website at www.reverendgadget.com

--- Reverend Gadget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Does anybody have any idea of how many cells are
> available?
>

> > >32,096 pounds of aircraft NiCad cells.
> > >
> > >SAFT PN 017371-000

If these are like the BB600s I have, they run about 3 lbs per cell. That would
put the count up
around 10,000. But these are NICKEL-IRON COBALT, they may weigh more per cell.
Don't know. I'm
guessing they would fit in one bay of someones garage. For not a lot of money
you could have a
little battery business. It might take a while to sell that many.

You'd have to be able to transport hazardous materials per DOT or use an
approved carrier. And you
might have to show you have an approved place to store them. Call the guy
listed on the site, he's
very helpful. LeRoys his name. Not that it's a major pain, but there are a few
issues to deal
with. They have to dot their I's and cross their T's. After all, they are a
government agency.

Dave Cover

You're opening up more worms than I want to deal with.
 Let me just say _my_ experience:
1)  I used parts of the existing (stock) wiring
harness, as I needed the speedo/odo wires, and I used
the batt. ind. light to tell the world that the EV is
"on".
2) I use a neg. ground system b/c that's the way the
accessories are wired-- the stereo, for example.

As far as hookup, a DCDC goes from +HV pack in -HV
pack in, 12V hot out, and neutral (gnd) out.  It's
about the simplest system there is.  The thing is,
once it's on, you tie together the batt. and DCDC, so
it can recharge the batt. (I can't explain it as well
as I can wire it).  If you send an address, I can send
you a schematic.  Also, my DCDC has a +12V/-12V so it
can run an E-meter.  But that's another story.
Do you have "Convert It?"  It shows how to wire the
DCDC.

http://www.canev.com/KitsComp/Components/Converter.html

> (Why is the efficiency so "bad" on those
> converters?)
>

> Here is what I was thinking about:
>
> Along with removing the stock gas motor, also remove
> the
> stock wiring harness.  It's old and I don't want to
> reuse
> it.  I also want to rewire the car to my liking.
>
> Preliminary setup:  312 or 336 volt pack of
> Orbitals, PFC
> Charger, 2k Zilla, 9" Warp.  Some 12 volt DC/DC
> converter.
> I don't want to run an auxiliary battery.  I don't
> want to
> use a "chassis ground" for my 12 volt wiring either.
>
> I want to get an aftermarket fuse panel and have it
> connected directly to the converter.  LED lights all
> the way
> around.  Also have the horn, wipers, tach, speedo,
> and a
> couple EV related gauges.  That's it.
>
> I'm also wondering about fuse panel "efficiency" if
> there is
> such a thing..
>
> Take a look at this traditional fuse panel for
> example:
>
> http://www.painlesswiring.com/fuseblock.htm
>
> Notice how it uses crimp on terminals.
>
> Now take a look at this fuse panel:
>
> http://www.americanautowire.com/Products/COMP9.htm
>
> Notice how it uses "spring loaded" terminals like
> speakers
> use.
>
> Here is a video of them in use:
>
> http://www.americanautowire.com/checkitout.htm
>
> How good of a connection would those style
> connectors make?
> How much resistance do crimped on terminals add to a
> wire?
>
> The thing I like about the terminal less panel is
> just strip
> the end of the wire and plug it in.  Nice, quick,
> clean, and
> simple...

=====
'92 Honda Civic sedan, 144V
                                   ____
                     __/__|__\ __
           =D-------/   -  -     \
                     'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?
Are you saving any gas for your kids?

>From: "Bob Bath"

>If you send an address, I can send
>you a schematic.

I'd like to have a look at that, thanks:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>Also, my DCDC has a +12V/-12V so it
>can run an E-meter.

Which model is that?

>Do you have "Convert It?"

Not yet, it's on my list of books to get..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/registry.html/ref=wlem-si-html_viewall/102-2904835-9273769?id=1G7A1G6XLZFX7

At 1:00 AM -0600 on 2/6/05, Ryan Stotts wrote:

Also, do the semi truck manufactures not care about
aerodynamics?

They do. Very much. These aren't consumer vehicles being sold to twits with no clue as to real vehicle operation costs. These are being sold to companies that track fuel and repair costs on dozens or hundreds of those things driving hundreds of thousands of miles a year.
--

Auf wiedersehen!

  "..No."

-Real Genius

Chip Gribben wrote:

> The 100 mph Club is obviously working. It's instilling competition and
> discussion which is what we need.

Agreed.

>  EV can go up to 70, 80 or 90 mph and people just say "Oh", we
> can say,  "If you want to see some EVs that can go over 100 mph check out the
> 100 mph Club on the NEDRA site"

It's not that hard to make an EV hit 100, but it's real hard to make one with
enough power to do it in the 1/4 mile. Make sure you tell them that these EVs
hit 100 mph  from a standing start in just 1320 feet!

See Ya....John 'Plasma Boy' Wayland

Good points Mike, and I think that your greater empirical experience with
the TEVan should be definately considered. I was just going by the single
gear reduction used in my G-vans. Then again the motor in that is pretty
"big". I do like your idea of the dual motor setup, could this be done with
a pair of smaller lighter motors to save weight? Anyway, I have my hands
full enough with my other van problems to think of converting the Dodge.
Batteries are the bugaboo. Tom just told me that Bill M got tired of
fighting the BB600 (750 cell pack) problems in his G-van and sold it. Hope
he didn't include the Chloride charger we loaned him in the deal, LOL. BTW,
I tried to find my G-van photos in the TP and it appears to not have
survived the "migration"? Or are you just mad at me? LOL. TTYL David
Chapman.