  1) Re: Small Prestolite Pump Motor and over voltage questions
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: 42-volt starting batteries
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Solectria Sunrise for sale
        by Jim Coate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: No bids on the Siemens inverter and motor on Ebay
        by "Joe Strubhar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Small Prestolite Pump Motor and over voltage questions
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: No bids on the Siemens inverter and motor on Ebay
        by Chris Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: No bids on the Siemens inverter and motor on Ebay
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Small Prestolite Pump Motor and over voltage questions
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) OT: Nanograss and battery technology
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Small Prestolite Pump Motor and over voltage questions
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Hydraulics and Conversions
        by "John G. Lussmyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Rev. Gadget Vibration Dampers
        by Reverend Gadget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Small Prestolite Pump Motor and over voltage questions
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Hydraulics and Conversions
        by richard ball <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Melting motors, was Re: Small Prestolite Pump Motor
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 16) Re: Maniac Mazda more Street than White Zombie? OT: Zombie Range
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Maniac Mazda more Street than White Zombie? OT: Zombie Range
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: 1970s cars
        by Alan Batie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: No bids on the Siemens inverter and motor on Ebay
        by Alan Batie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Small Prestolite Pump Motor and over voltage questions
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: No bids on the Siemens inverter and motor on Ebay
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Hydraulics and Conversions
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Hydraulics and Conversions
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Gadget's Conversion
        by "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 10:30:17 -0500, Raymond Knight
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We cannot change the motor size due to esthetics. Or I would have already
> put 40mt starter motors in. The motors are turning high volume, high
> pressure hydraulic pumps. Everyone seems to think torque is the key to
> making them work better.

Oh dear.  This sounds like drag racing without the all the careful
scientific calculations done before hand (irony).
 Use smaller displacement pumps and add a high pressure accumulator.
Use higher voltage series wound motors and allow them to run at high
RPM.  Fit a powerful blower to the end of the motor.

Roger Stockton wrote:
> I ~think~ this thread spun off from the drag racing battery
> discusison, hence my impression that the contemplated goal
> was to build batteries more optimised for drag racing than
> what one can readily buy.

That's what I thought, too. Thus my comments were along these lines.

> It is quite feasible to build a lead acid battery in one's garage,
> and a clean room environment is not necessary. Period. You think
> it is a silly idea, and that is fair enough, but that does not
> make it impossible. Nor does the fact that no-one on this list
> has yet been motivated to try building their own battery make it
> impossible.

I agree completely. A person (or company, or society as a whole for that
matter) tends to pick ONE technology for problem-solving. They then
ignore or even attack all OTHER solutions to that problem. We
specialize.

So, the guy who builds cars does not also build motors. The one who
builds motors doesn't build controllers. The ones who build controllers
don't build batteries. Etc.

Sure, there are still a few generalists; Leonardo DaVinci types that can
excel in many fields. But most of us are only really good at a few very
specialized things.

As it happens, everyone on the EV list seems to be mechanically or
electrically oriented. No chemists or electrochemists. Thus, we don't
hear from the battery builders.

> Another, also quite serious, suggestion is that rather than building a
> battery from the ground up, if the concern is primarily peak current
> capability and interconnect robustness, it might be more practical to
> take a mostly suitable battery, like the 13 or 16Ah Hawker, saw the lid
> off and beef up the cell interconnects to address their shortcomings,
> and then reseal the battery.

Here's a thought. Just for racing, open the top of your batteries, and
pour some liquid on top of each cell to flood the interconnects and so
cool them.

You could use 1300 SG electrolyte. Add it before the race, remove it
soon afterwards and before charging. Otherwise, it will make a terrible
mess when it starts gassing near full charge. Also, the excess acid will
short across the tops of the cells, and cause a high self-discharge
rate.

You could use oil. This won't mix with water, so it is easier to remove.
However, you don't want to ever have a low water level such that the
plates are exposed, or the oil will get into the separator and plates,
wrecking them.

You could use a fluorocarbon; they won't mix with water, and won't wet
the plates or separator. It will simply evaporate away when given the
chance (or suck it out with a vacuum pump; it boils away and comes out
as vapor). But they are bad for the environment.

In any case, there's no way you are going to melt an interconnect that
is submerged in liquid!
--
Ring the bells that you can ring
Forget your perfect offering

[try 2 as the first send didn't seem to go through last night]

I received the following e-mail two days ago and just before losing my
internet connection told the seller I'd forward it to the EV list. As
you all have discovered by now he has listed this bit of history on eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?&item=4527085701
as well as on the EV Trading Post
http://www.evtradingpost.com

Note his e-mail below confirms the original price and has his address to
respond to directly as he is not on the EV list
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: Solectria Sunrise for sale Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:14:08 -0500

Hello,

I want to sell a Solectria Sunrise vehicle.  Do you know who may be
interested?

Make:   Solectria Sunrise
demonstration vehicle, but never used it. It was placed in a storage
building for last 5 years. Now we are moving out of building and must
sell. We purchased the vehicle for $250,000. Now must sell, asking
$100,000. Will negotiate. Vehicle does not come with batteries.

Richard Leveille
eVionyx Inc.
<http://www.evionyx.com/>
6 Skyline Drive
Hawthorne, NY 10532
Ph 914-798-3732
Fx 914-345-0115
e-mail <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

---------------

NOTE: I know nothing about the seller or this car!
And yes, he will be listing it on the EV Tradin' Post.

_________
Jim Coate
1970's Elec-Trak
1992 Chevy S-10 BEV
1997 Chevy S-10 NGV
http://www.eeevee.com

--

_________
Jim Coate

Isn't using a sniping service illegal on eBay? If it isn't, it should be
illegal, IMHO.

Joseph H. Strubhar

E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Web: www.gremcoinc.com
visit my website at www.reverendgadget.com

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 09:57:00 -0800, Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Exactly. This reminds me of a car I saw on "Junkyard Wars". They used a
> hydraulic pump with an ICE engine to power 4 hydraulic motors at the wheels.
> I am thinking an EV with this type of setup (Mandatory EV content) might
> have some merit. The motor would run constantly, with the variation in speed
> differential being controlled by hydraulic means. Any thoughts?

Indeed, such a system gives you infinitely variable "gear ratios" with
full torque available from stop.  However, the pump/motor combination
does have losses - considerably more than you would get using a modern
variable speed motor control.
This is probably why diesel-electric trains have a motor and generator
rather than a hydraulic pump and motor.
Forwarders and excavators don't care much about efficiency, and they
have a hydraulic system anyway, so they use a hydrostatic
transmission.  Lots of torque forever, low speed output (less
reduction gearing needed), very controllable.

no reason this wouldn't work
the only downside being the low efficiency of  hydraulic motors in general
having said that for an occasional use or utility vehicles which are constantly
close to a charge point   who cares

"John G. Lussmyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
At 09:57 AM 2/13/2005, Dave wrote:
>Exactly. This reminds me of a car I saw on "Junkyard Wars". They used a
>hydraulic pump with an ICE engine to power 4 hydraulic motors at the
>wheels. I am thinking an EV with this type of setup (Mandatory EV content)
>might have some merit. The motor would run constantly, with the variation
>in speed differential being controlled by hydraulic means. Any thoughts?

I always thought that making a small BullDozer EV conversion would be neat.
You WANT a lot of weight in a dozer, and for the (quite a few) people that
only need it for short jobs around the "farm", a 1 hour run time between
charges would be just fine.
I don't know if you'd want to drive each track with a separate
motor/controller, or use a hydraulic drive system with a single central
motor and hydraulic pump.

--
John G. Lussmyer mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dragons soar and Tigers prowl while I dream.... http://www.CasaDelGato.com

Regards
Richard

<<What we found in the motors, eight SAKO's, was the brush holder was melted,
arced through close to the positive brush holder where it is mounted, away
from the actual brush. The loop that holds the brush is riveted to the brush
holder plate, and there is a very thin insulator under it, typical Chinese
quality. When the 12volt motors were run on 48volts, the brush holders don't
seem to melt, it is only started happening when they do competitions and
jump to 84 or 96 volts.>>

It's not just over-voltage: my Chinese Junk scooter melted its brush-holders
(the brushes look intact) but also lifted a comm bar and caused some pitting. I
had replaced its dead controller with a 225A Curtis of the same voltage and
simply overloaded it. Should I just toss this hubmotor and shop for a new one,
or is there any way to have it rebuilt? I wasn't sure if motor shops can do
anything with hubmotors - they're inside-out, with the comm deep inside, so how
do they fix it?