  5) Re: Any news or updates?
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: 1970s cars and 60's
        by Reverend Gadget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: OT Zap smart cars
        by Michael Hurley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Rev. Gadget Vibration Dampers
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Maniac Mazda more Street than White Zombie? OT: Zombie Range
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: What are the upper voltage limits of DC motors?
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: 1970s Cars
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Peltier car cooling
        by Emil Naepflein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Peltier car cooling
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: 42-volt starting batteries
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Gadget's Conversion
        by "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: 1970s cars
        by "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: What are the upper voltage limits of DC motors?
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Gadget's Conversion
        by Ralph Merwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: 1970s Cars
        by James D Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Small Prestolite Pump Motor and over voltage questions
        by "Raymond Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

David Roden wrote:

> On 12 Feb 2005 at 0:49, Dave wrote:
>
> > Ever considered one of those little Opel GTs? Looks kind of like a small
> > vette. Also, didn't Saab make a little 2-seater GT?
>
> The Sabb you're thinking of is the Sonnet, a sweet little sports car.
> Coincidentally, I just saw one the other day, the first I've seen in years
> here in Ohio.

Just as an interesting sidebar....the unique aspect of the Sonnet was that it
had a V-4
engine.

> Both the Sonnet and the Opel GT are pretty scarce, and I'm not sure either
> one would make a good conversion because of the very small chassis sizes.
> (I think there's an unfinished Opel GT conversion in the EV Photo Album,
> though.)  But they sure are distinctive looking.

The Opel GT is a great looking machine, for sure.

> Another rarity that might be fun to convert: a Volvo P1800.

Way too heavy, but yes, cool looking.

See Ya....John Wayland

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I was just talking to my neighbor about this very thing! He has wanted to build a '55-'56-'57 Chevy replica EV. He has a plan started, using all fiberglass body parts and an aluminum frame. We may be able to do something like this, possibly this summer!
David C. Wilker Jr.
USAF (RET)
"I'm figuring out what's good for me, but only by a process of elimination"
----- Original Message ----- From: "John Wayland" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
visit my website at www.reverendgadget.com

Wild! This should be great! Are there any pictures on the web?

--- Jessica & Donald Jansen & Crabtree <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> My current project is a 72 Volkswagon bug, which is undergoing a
> ground-up restoration, modification and conversion to 156 volts.
> I'll
> be running a large DC motor with a 1200 Raptor controller.  The
> Insanity
> Feature of this vehicle is that I am narrowing it 12 inches.  The
> rear
> suspension has been narrowed 12 inches and will be running on 10 or
> 11
> inch slicks, not yet decided which.  The front suspension was
> narrowed 7
> inches and will be running 4-1/2 x 15 inch drag tires.  The
> undercarriage has been completely rebuilt and is ready to receive
> the
> narrowed body and roll cage when that is ready.  I have new
> aftermarket
> pans for the floor, which was completely rusted out.  And there is
> quite
> a bit of body work to be done on the heater channels which rest on
> the
> floor pans.  Fortunately, there are a lot of aftermarket parts for
> VW
> bugs.  The current status of the body is that it is sitting in
> pieces in
> the driveway, sawn down and ready to be reassembled 12 inches
> narrower.
> At least one heater channel will need replacing on the bottom.  All
> of
> the glass will be replaced with 1/8" Lexan.  I'm not setting any
> deadline on completing this car - I don't need the stress!
>
> In the process of narrowing the car, I'll be removing approximately
> 5
> square feet of frontal area, which should improve the aero
> considerably,
> and the process of narrowing the track will change the aspect
> ration
> between the tread and the wheel base.  This should give the effect
> of a
> longer car.

=====

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

The tigers had the 289. The cars are pretty much the
same except for the tail fins. The one on the alpine
are a bit larger and IMHO much cooler. Here is a pick
of the tail fins.

http://www.sunbeam-alpine.co.uk/images/restproj4.jpg

I have one of these in white. I will put a single
speed ac drive system in the car. The car has a large
X frame under the floor about 7.5 inches thick. I plan
on building a new frame and cage and removing the old
floor to utilize this space for my battery storage. It
should make the thing handle like skateboard.
currently the car has no running gear whatsoever so I
get to start from scratch.

                         Gadget

visit my website at www.reverendgadget.com

At 9:06 AM -0700 on 2/11/05, Peter VanDerWal wrote:

The smart doesn't use particularily exoctic materials, I don't believe
it's hand crafted(?), there is nothing particularly unique about it
manufacturing process.

So given that it has far less raw materials than your average "econobox",
I would naturally expect it to cost less, not the same or slightly more.

I don't know how the Smart is manufactured and I'm not sure what it's made out of so I can't comment here. Volume may also play a part, though.
--

Auf wiedersehen!

  "..No."

-Real Genius
Thanks for putting your project on the web.

Why are you calling the bends in the adapter plate "vibration
dampers?" vs. motor mounts? Isn't the electric motor smooth enough
for vibration to be little worry?

--- Reverend Gadget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I used the old plate of of the transmission and a
> transfer punch to mark the holes. I also used a nice
> new sharp bit in the drill press so it wouldn't walk.
> I also have a bit of an advantage as I have a complete
> shop with all the machining, welding and sheet working
> equipment as well as a complete wood shop and
> uphostery equipment. so this conversion will go really
> fast.
> > > http://reverendgadget.com/subpage3.html1.html

=====

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

The motor was drawing about 550 amps in high gear at the quarter mile in
1999.

The motor was drawing about 700 amps when I shifted into high gear 13
seconds into the run. The eighth mile comes up about 16.0 seconds when the
motor was pulling about 650 amps.

In 1999, I was using all four gears and had all four batteries in the back.

In 2002, I was using only second and fourth gear and got a slightly slower
time because the batteries were sagging so badly (34 V at finish vice 44 V).
I did comparisons on using different combinations of gears (1,2,3,4 or 1,2,4
or 2,3,4 or 2,4) to see what advantage using each gear combination would
produce. The fastest was the 2,4 pattern by about a tenth second.

First gear always had a traction problem, so starting in second produced
slightly less wheelspin and eliminated one shift producing a better 60 foot
time. Second gear could handle the additional current and the battery
current was higher launching in second. The gearing advantage to third gear
was negated by the time required to make the additional gear change. Not
having a clutch contributed to the less than optimal shift time.

I did not run the ammeter instrumentation in 2002, therefore I did not get
any current plots.

I put two batteries up front to race in 2003 but illness caused me to miss
the event. Woodburn 2004 conflicted with another event so I was unable to
attend.

The car still has the batteries in it and it gets moved around the property
a few times a month. A few minutes with an air hose, a vacuum and a damp rag
could have it ready to run again. It would take an hour for two people to
change the batteries to Orbitals. If someone wanted to flat tow it, the tags
need to be renewed and it would take an hour to put the tow bar brackets
back on it. It would not take much to get it to the track.

If I run this year, I plan to shift sooner (2 to 4) to keep the battery amps
up and to have some data recording equipment on board to document any
changes in performance. I have also considered field weakening similar to
what is used in 48 volt electric hydroplanes.

Joe Smalley
Rural Kitsap County WA
Fiesta 48 volts
NEDRA 48 volt street conversion record holder