  2) Re: 42-volt starting batteries
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Home made batteries
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: EV1 vigil in Burbank, Calif.
        by "Chris Tromley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Battery resting voltage...
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: What are the upper voltage limits of DC motors?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Battery boxes
        by Reverend Gadget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: She's dead Jim
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: More water dreams...
        by Mark Farver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: She's dead Jim
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: 42-volt starting batteries
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 12) Re: What are the upper voltage limits of DC motors?
 13) Diodes and Contactors (was: She's dead Jim)
        by Frank Schmitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: Home made batteries
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: EV1 vigil in Burbank, Calif.
        by "Harris, Lawrence" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: She's dead Jim
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) help
        by "goodsharonwbird" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: More water dreams...
        by "Adams, Lynn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: inexpensive ebike conversion kit
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: building your own batteries
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: 42-volt starting batteries
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Need Vicor DC/DC
 23) Re: She's dead Jim
        by Frank Schmitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Torque Steer (was: 42-volt starting batteries)
        by Frank Schmitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) RE: 42-volt starting batteries
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) RE: 42-volt starting batteries
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: Torque Steer
        by Andrew Letton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Yeah,

Cliff's first question was if I had a PM motor and he was quite surprised to find out I had a series wound. My fireworks were all happening a few inches behind my calf.

From: "Brown, Jay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: RE: She's dead Jim
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:13:29 -0600

Damon,

One of my Alltrax controllers did the same thing.  It failed, wide open,
in a very dramatic fashion with a shower of sparks and smoke within a
couple days of me installing it in a 48V go-kart.  Luckily, I had the
chain drive off at the time otherwise it would have taken off without me
down the driveway.  My Dad had another one which he purchased within
days of mine and I installed it and haven't had a problem since.
Alltrax replaced the fried one at no cost to me but never mentioned
anything about a diode.

All in all I give their product and customer support a good grade but
every time I get on my go-kart or my new dirt-bike conversion that
dramatic incident flashed through my head...  Realize the controller is
right between my legs (couple inches) on both these vehicles.  Its not a
place where you want a shower of sparks pouring out...(unless you want
an "e-vasectomy"..;-) ) not to mention going on a hell of ride until you
can cut the power...

BTW - I searched the Net and found two websites with similar stories of
other people who had this happen to them though they were all attached
to Etek motors, including mine, which supposedly they have fixed in all
the new ones.

Jay Brown

From: "Victor Tikhonov"

I think sometimes what it would take to put together winning
AC powered car, similar to Cliff's on the track for 1/4 mile
drag racing. It is expensive, but not out of reach. So I do
not exclude such possibility in the future.

Would you use Optima's or Orbital's? How many at what voltage?

Which motor and controller would you use? What might the 1/4 mile time be?

Good to know, one is working on his batteries per thoudands
wothing on their EVs.

Anyone else working on the batteries? Single one?
It won't prove or disprove anything, I'm just curious.

Victor

Ken Trough wrote:

Victor Tikhonov wrote:

we don't hear many or even few attemps to improve a battery in a garage, and we're looking for such info.

What's Electric Louie been doing since he sold eXkate? I know he was working on some thin film, high density, high current drag racing batteries "in his garage" with some high priced battery engineer in the hopes of smashing some NEDRA dragster records. I haven't heard anything since EVS-20 and there wasn't really any news then either.

Anyone know if Louis Finkle is making any progress or if he has abandoned the project all together? Apologies if this was already covered in the thread. No one changed the name to indicate a shift to home made battery discussion.

-Ken Trough
Admin - V is for Voltage Magazine
http://visforvoltage.com
AIM - ktrough
FAX - 801-749-7807
message - 866-872-8901

Mike Chancey wrote:

> Besides the handful with universities, and the batch with GM in New
> York(?), I understand there are still about 100 to 150 EV1s
> on the road in
> California creeping up to the end of their leases.  I am told
> one actually
> visited the Ranger EV vigil site.  I was surprised to hear
> this, as I was
> under the impression all of them were turned in and crushed
> already.  I
> guess if the last of them were leased about 2001-2002 and
> they had 4 year
> leases that makes sense.
>
> In this case, I can't help but think the vigil to save the
> EV1 is certainly
> worthwhile.  Of course, it would be even more worthwhile if
> it works.  :)
> (fingers crossed)

Hi Mike,

I hate to have to think like a lawyer, but here's my take on the EV1
situation.  Every single EV1 on the planet is owned by GM.  GM intends to
keep it that way.  Some donations have been made to schools and museums (saw
one at the Corning Museum of Glass* in NY http://www.cmog.org/, since
Corning was the glass supplier), but those donations have *not* been of
EV1s.  They were stripped of enough equipment to prevent them from being
operated as vehicles, and the organizations that received them signed
contracts stating they would never be operated on public roads.

Every EV1 still on lease will be reclaimed by GM.  There will be no EV1s
owned by consumers.  Ever.  As far as GM is concerned, building the EV1 was
a big mistake and they just want it to go away.  GM makes no attempt at
painting themselves green, so there's not even a PR angle to pursue.  I
think the only reason Ford sold any Ranger EVs to the public was because
they *are* trying to paint themselves green, and the media embarrassed them.

I'll also bet that was a Marketing decision that made the Ford Customer
Support department stomping mad.  What happens when someone wants a
replacement part for that special independent rear suspension eight years
from now, for example?  I predict those few owners will find parts so scarce
and expensive they will dump the vehicles cheap.  The Ranger EVs will
effectively fade away.

Even Toyota, who actually sold RAV4 EVs to the public, did it in a way that
would damage the image of EVs.  You can't charge one anywhere but home.  How
many charging stations support its oddball MagnaCharger paddle?  No
infrastructure = failure.

Sorry to be so down on the manufacturers, but they are clearly working hard
against EVs.  Too much risk for less money to be made; much better to direct
the tide of public acceptance toward the more complex solutions that will
generate higher profit margins.  Like hybrids and FCEVs

I would *love* for someone to prove me wrong.  I don't hold out much hope.

Chris

*CMoG is quite a nice family day trip.  Highly recommended.

M Bianchi wrote:
> Several of these calibration techniques are based on a single value.
> If one tweaks a meter for that measurement, what is the chance that
> the calibration is "pretty good" over the entire range of that
> range-setting and all the other range settings?

A good quality meter usually has only a single calibration pot for each
kind of measurement (one for DC volts, one for AC volts, one for ohms,
etc.). All the ranges will "track" because they have used high-accuracy
resistors in the voltage dividers. Since nothing changes but these
resistors on the 1v, 10v, 100v, 1000v etc. scale, if these resistors are
perfect, calibration will be perfect. So, you can calibrate "DC volts"
on any one range, and be pretty confident all the other DC voltage
ranges will also be right.

On a cheap meter, they use garden-variety 1% resistors for these
dividers. Such resistors do *not* track; you could have one 1% high, and
another 1% low, leading to a 2% error between ranges. But there will be
no adjustments to fix it anyway.

Also, cheap resistors have a voltage coefficient; their resistance
changes with voltage. This introduces nonlinearity into the scale, so
the half-scale reading might be perfect, but full-scale is wrong.

Finally, there can be a zero offset, due to errors in the electronics.
Most meters (even cheap ones) now have auto-zero circuitry. However, a
cheap meter will use dissimilar metals in its switches and test jacks.
These can introduce thermocouple errors of as much as a couple
millivolts.
has!" -- Margaret Mead
--
Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

Peter VanDerWal wrote:
>>  - There are lots of PM motors with printed circuit rotors; no
>>    iron and no windings in the armatures.
>>  - Aluminum instead of copper is used in some high-volume motor
>>    windings. Besides being lighter and cheaper, windings can be
>>    cast in place rather than wound.

> While these two items reduce production costs, I wouldn't claim
> they are an improvement on the motor, in fact rather the contrary.
> Both of these REDUCE motor efficiency.

True; but higher efficiency is not always better. The above changes
lower efficiency, but increase the power-to-weight ratio. If they also
reduced cost, you would have *lots* of people that saw the motor as
"better".
has!" -- Margaret Mead
--
Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

Thank you! I will go build some boxes now..
                 Gadget

=====
visit my website at www.reverendgadget.com

        Hi Damon and All,

> > quite a

        This is why I like Contactor controllers! Mine
only costs about $15 and 10 minutes to fix and about
$60 to build. And no waiting weeks, big $ to get it
fixed!!!
        Everyone laughs at me but I laugh all the way
to the bank in my EV!
              KIS,
                jerry dycus
        PS, They love my E-woody down at the bank!
Just got over a long, bad flu so back to work on more
EV's this week! Spring has sprung here in Tampa.

> 50
> fizzing
> of
> > my
> > then

> > next.
> controller
> > last
> > may be
> hobby.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Bill Dennis wrote:

What makes DC controllers over 156V so much more expensive to build than
those with lower voltages? What's magical about the 156V number?

Many semiconductors are rated to a max of 200v. A 156V pack of batteries (13 12v batteries) will not reach 200V when charging to 15V/bat (about the highest max charging voltage). A 168V pack would reach 200V when charging to 15v/battery.

DCP used to say that 168V was ok as long as you absolutely insured the controller was disconnected from the batteries while the charger was on. (14 batteries * 13.2V resting voltage is only 184.8V) 15 batteries is resting at 198.. which is cutting it close.

Mark Farver
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- If the spikes are due to the coil in the contacter than this doesn't apply to me as I actually just have a switch.
http://www.evparts.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=669&product_id=1330.
This is a bit underated for what I am using it for, and fortunately it broke the current when things went bad. I believe I will be adding a real contacter when I put it all back together.

He mentioned spikes of 40,000 volts, which leads me to believe he was thinking of something else.

From: "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:38:10 -0800

damon henry [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Could this really have contributed to the problem?

Perhaps, since you could have been subjecting the controller to spikes
of a few times your pack voltage when the contactor opens.  The spikes
would be on the KSI input, if you wire the controller according to their
suggestions.

But, the stress that you would have been subjecting the controller to
would have been ocurring each time that you turn *off* the main
contactor, so it seems most likely that a failure would have occurred
just as you turned on or off the bike, not while you were riding along.
It is possible that each time you turned the contactor off you subjected
the controller to some voltage stress which weakened some part(s) until
they just finally failed, even though they didn't fail immediately upon
turning the contactor on or off for the last time.

> He even mentioned that in the install instructions it
> is recommended, which I pointed out was not quite as forceful
> and stating that it is required.

I didn't even see a recommendation in the AllTrax AXE manual I
downloaded.  In the paragraph where they state that a main contactor is
required but not supplied, it points out that the coil voltage must
equal pack voltage, but does not mention a freewheel diode at all.  On
the wiring diagrams, diodes are shown across every coil, and one diagram
at least suggests that the diodes are 1N4004 (1A 200V), however, the
average person might not even realise that the diodes are something he
must supply separately from the contactors (i.e. some contactors come
with diodes, but others don't).

> He just kept going on about how fields collapse and
> cause huge votage spikes, which I don't disagree with, I just
> don't see how a diode across the main contactor does anything
> to limit damage to my controller from these spikes.

The voltage spike is caused when the power to the coil is removed.  The
coil's inductance does not allow the current to change abruptly, and so
the voltage is forced to spike up as the inductance tries to keep the
current flowing (by causing the switch contacts to arc, etc.)
Installing a freewheel diode across the coil prevents the voltage spike
by providing a path for the current to flow at the instant that coil
power is removed.  The voltage across the coil is now clamped to the
diode's forward drop (typically <1V).

Hope this helps,

In a message dated 2/16/05 6:48:04 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Or, let's compete who sips less Wh per 1/4 mile provided
 minimum speed is maintained. I WILL participate, because put
 efforts to optimize ACRX in that res >>
Hi Victor what would you suppose your amp hr used in the qt.mi is?And what is
your car weight?The CE uses 1.1amp hr per qt.mi run including the drive to
the lanes and back from the time booth.It weighs 1383lbs with me in it.Dennis
Berube

> Peter VanDerWal wrote:
>>>  - There are lots of PM motors with printed circuit rotors; no
>>>    iron and no windings in the armatures.
>>>  - Aluminum instead of copper is used in some high-volume motor
>>>    windings. Besides being lighter and cheaper, windings can be
>>>    cast in place rather than wound.
>
>> While these two items reduce production costs, I wouldn't claim
>> they are an improvement on the motor, in fact rather the contrary.
>> Both of these REDUCE motor efficiency.
>
> True; but higher efficiency is not always better. The above changes
> lower efficiency, but increase the power-to-weight ratio. If they also
> reduced cost, you would have *lots* of people that saw the motor as
> "better".

Hmm, input power to weight ratio or output power to weight ratio?

Ok, ok I see your point.  However, since I'm primarily interested in
efficiency, "I" wouldn't call it an improvement ;-)

Installing a freewheel diode across the coil prevents the voltage spike
by providing a path for the current to flow at the instant that coil
power is removed.  The voltage across the coil is now clamped to the
diode's forward drop (typically <1V).

A little trick I learned when I interned for a contactor mfr. is to put a Zener diode in series with the diode (oriented the opposite direction). The voltage rating for the Zener should be roughly what the coil is designed to be driven at.

This e.g. 12V drop will soak up the power stored in the coil much more quickly than the 0.7V drop of a just a diode. The coil current drops off much faster and the contacts open with quite a bit more oomph (to the point that can actually hear the difference).

HTH,

-Frank
Victor Tikhonov [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Good to know, one is working on his batteries per thoudands
> wothing on their EVs.

Now, now, Victor, be fair... ;^>

Battery building/tweaking was only suggested as a possible avenue for
*drag racers* to persue and there are *far* fewer EVers involved with
drag racing.  As a generous guesstimate, perhaps 150-200 EVers
participate in EV drag racing, and of those there are perhaps 25 that
are serious in the sense of fielding a purpose-built drag racing vehicle
rather than taking their daily driver EV to the track for fun.  That one
person out of the perhaps 25 serious EV drag racers is working on his
batteries is certainly not insignificant.

Just a comment - none of the major car manufacturers are required to
maintain parts for anything beyond a few years.  One of my co-workers had to
have a custom made end for one of the hydraulic cylinders that operate his
soft top.  I think it was a GM in fact and the parts department said in
essence - oh, that model is more than 8 years old, we only carry parts for 8
years - sorry.  It was a relatively rare model and none of the normal
sources for parts could locate a used or aftermarket replacement.

Given that experience it would seem GM, Ford and anyone else could be nice
and just wait for the problem to go away instead of being pig headed about
it - if they wanted.

Lawrence

> [...]

Even Toyota, who actually sold RAV4 EVs to the public, did it in a way that
would damage the image of EVs.  You can't charge one anywhere but home.  How
many charging stations support its oddball MagnaCharger paddle?  No
infrastructure = failure.

Sorry to be so down on the manufacturers, but they are clearly working hard
against EVs.  Too much risk for less money to be made; much better to direct
the tide of public acceptance toward the more complex solutions that will
generate higher profit margins.  Like hybrids and FCEVs

I would *love* for someone to prove me wrong.  I don't hold out much hope.

Chris

*CMoG is quite a nice family day trip.  Highly recommended.

damon henry [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> If the spikes are due to the coil in the contacter than this
> doesn't apply to me as I actually just have a switch.

Right.  The freewheel diode is installed across the contactor coil, so
if you haven't got a contactor, you haven't got a coil to put it across,
and the non-existent coil certainly didn't cause any voltage spikes ;^>

> He mentioned spikes of 40,000 volts, which leads me to believe he was
> thinking of something else.

One can only wonder what... the voltage spike across a 48V coil (in your
e-motorcycle's case) isn't going to get anywhere near that level.  It
could be that he knows enough to realise that a voltage spike exists in
the absence of a freewheel diode, and that that spike is "high", but
doesn't know how large it really is.

Hi Guys, can any one in the group make me a 144 volt batterycharger
@110 volt input??or know where I can get one for about 300$ were in
a bind, we have a Ranger sitting here all done and billed out. Now
were starting our 6th truck. prob is that this coustmer wanted to
have us get a charger.and not buy his own.Something happened with
the building of the charger, now were in a sticky situation.  I
could really use your guys help...Thanks Sharon

For example, I smoked my 156V Raptor by placing 350 volts across it.  I
had it disconnected from the pack, but the precharge wire exposed it to
the high voltage, letting the smoke out of the controller.  I replaced
it with a T-Rex which is good to about 400V, so if I do the same series
of stupid things, the controller will live.

Anyone need a 600 A raptor with no smoke remaining?

Lynn
92 Civic, 144 Volts

>What makes DC controllers over 156V so much more expensive to build
>than those with lower voltages?  What's magical about the 156V number?

Many semiconductors are rated to a max of 200v.  A 156V pack of
batteries (13 12v batteries) will not reach 200V when charging to
15V/bat (about the highest max charging voltage).  A 168V pack would
reach 200V when charging to 15v/battery.

DCP used to say that 168V was ok as long as you absolutely insured the
controller was disconnected from the batteries while the charger was
on.  (14 batteries * 13.2V resting voltage is only 184.8V)  15 batteries

is resting at 198.. which is cutting it close.

Mark Farver

Ivo Jara wrote:
I found a chinese manufacturesr that sells an electric bike conversion kit
at a very good prize, since I live in Chile, and the weather is great most
of the year (it rains once or twice a year), I thought of converting my
mountain bike and my wife's.

The thing is so cheap that it brings a little distrust in me.

What do you think about it, do you think it will perform as it advertises
???

Here's the link:

http://www.goldenmotor.com/

Ivo.

Unfortunately Golden Motor is certainly not made of gold  :^D

do you think it will perform as it advertises ???

No. Their products are near or at the bottom rung on the quality/performance ladder.

_shameless plug following_

Everyone around here loves the Wilderness Energy hubmotor kit, we have been selling a lot of them.

Here are some links-
http://www.cloudelectric.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=866086%7C1290757&PRID=1501740
http://www.cloudelectric.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=866086%7C1290757&PRID=1504628

(price increase takes effect 3/1/05)

We ship to Chile.  :^D

_end shameless plug_

Roy LeMeur
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.cloudelectric.com
http://www.dcelectricsupply.com

Cloud Electric Vehicles
19428 66th Ave So, Q-101
Kent, Washington 98032

phone: 425-251-6380
fax: 425-251-6381
Toll Free: 800-648-7716

Roy LeMeur Olympia, WA

My Electric Vehicle Pages:
http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/renewables/evpage.html

Informative Electric Vehicle Links:
http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/renewables/evlinks.html

EV Parts/Gone Postal Photo Galleries:
http://www.casadelgato.com/RoyLemeur/page01.htm

Ryan Stotts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> This .pdf has a drawing of the inside of an Orbital:
>
> http://www.exideworld.com/pdf/orbital_xcd_specs_and_features.pdf
>
> Where is it's weak link or it's perceived weak link?  Which
> part of it might fail when put under an extended full
> discharge type load?

The short answer is that we don't yet know what the weak link is.  Ask
again after Mssrs. Rudman, Wayland, and Wilde get a bit further into the
2005 drag race season ;^>

Typically, the intercell connections are a weak point for AGMs (e.g
Optimas, Hawkers, and JCI Inspiras).  I don't know if the intercell
connection itself melts open or if it fails where it connects to the
plates, and it may well be different depending on the make of battery.

Looking at the Orbital picture, the intercell connections look quite a
bit beefier than those of an Optima (shorter, thicker, and perhaps
wider).  I would suspect that the weak link might therefore become the
strap-to-plate connection, or perhaps the very long/thin looking SAE
post 'stud'.

For comparison, check out the intercell connections (which Rich can tell
you the failure point of) of an Optima at:

<http://www.johnsoncontrols.com/bg/images/OptimaCutawaylarge.jpg>

Notice how the Optima intercell connections appear to be longer,
narrower, and thinner than those of the Orbital.

ACRX normally uses 1Ah/mile, but this is not too meaningful
for omparison at diferent voltages.

I consume ~200Wh/mile (@ 35mph), which is very average.
Dragging rear brakes and wrong tires are contributors to that.

Also, I suspect front alignment needs work and here is
the area you may know the answer at:

When I accelerate, the car pulls left a little, and when
slowing down using only regen on front wheels - pulls right.

It doesn't pull at all if I use disk brakes.

Almost like having constant brake or friction around
left (?) half shaft, so the torque of acceleration or braking
is not divided quite evenly. Another reason in theory may be that
the front tires diameters are differnt, but they are inflated
to the same PSI so I can't imagine this to be the case.

Which suspension element or parameter (camber, caster. etc)
can be responsible for this behavior? Or it is not suspension at all?
The car is straight, never been in an accident.