  1) Re: 42-volt starting batteries
        by Reverend Gadget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: She's dead Jim
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Sniping
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: 42-volt starting batteries
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: World's First Solar-Powered Drag Race
        by Lightning Ryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Side pull (Re: 42-volt...)
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: 42-volt starting batteries
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: She's dead Jim
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Torque Steer
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: 42-volt starting batteries
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Stuffing the brains into my variac
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: World's First Solar-Powered Drag Race
        by "bholmber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) torque stteering ACRX
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: help
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Diodes and Contactors (was: She's dead Jim)
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Torque Steer
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Is Dennis getting bored?
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: World's First Solar-Powered Drag Race
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: World's First Solar-Powered Drag Race
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Is Dennis getting bored?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 21) Re: 42-volt starting batteries
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: 42-volt starting batteries
        by Reverend Gadget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) torque steer
        by Reverend Gadget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Drag racing electric vehicles..
        by "Jonathan \"Sheer\" Pullen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
This is a common problem. It may be rear wheel
alignment. Have you ever seen a vehicle "crabbing"
down the street? where the rear end is slightly off
from the front track, driving down the road at a
slight angle. check the rear end, if it is the problem
it should fix the torque steer as well as the rolling
resistance. It could be that one rear wheel is out of
alignment causing the extra drag and the crabbing.

                        Gadget

=====
visit my website at www.reverendgadget.com

visit my website at www.reverendgadget.com

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I'm looking for component/circuit ideas for adding some brains to my charger. It is a simple rectified variac setup. The variac is motorized and I have a basic stamp I want to use as the brains. Anyone have any favorite ideas for measuring voltage and current and feeding the info to the Stamp. Any good ideas about what to use to drive the motor? The variac is rated for 20 amps and 180 volts. It's the Staco #033-6565 being sold at http://www.fairradio.com/variac.htm.
I will be going on a business trip in a couple of weeks and thought this might be a good way to keep myself occupied in the hotel, but in order to do so I will need to be prepared ahead of time.

damon
I was getting excited about the competition until I read rule #1.  Now all I
can think is...boring.  The competition will probably be decided by who has
the most cash and best connections to obtain the highest efficiency solar
cells.

> I've never heard of any heat engine hitting 52%, do you have a reference?
No, just dreaming, like the 30% Fresnel Concentrator setup, which would
probably be better, and would shurely top any plain pv (even high end).

> As for the slow startup time, well it's a drag race....
 > rev the engine and dump the clutch ;-)
Ya, but the rules say...

2. Batteries, capacitors, flywheels, or energy storage devices
    (if any) must be completely de-energized and in an uncharged
    state prior to the start of each race heat.

So, When exactly is the "start of each race heat"?
Does that include the trip from the pits to the starting line?

1. Solar-only powered dragsters will race head-to-head using
    only solar electric cells and electric motors.

Looks like stirlings are out, "only solar electric cells".

L8r
  Ryan

 > Roy LeMeur wrote:
 >
 >> For additional rules and information you can check out the web page:
 >> http://users.applecapital.net/~jim/solardragrace.htm

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Victor just checking that your comment on tire size is about air pressure, they are the same tire size , correct? that will burn up your differential very fast.

Since you have torque steer on accelearation and deceleration but not on braking I am gonna guess that toe,caster and camber are all not the problem.
Furthormore , braking puts the largest outward torque at the wheels resulting in toe out and as the wheel transitions form toe in to toe out the vehicle drifts unnaturally to whichever wheel has the most retarding force. So even the toe sounds correct.

How about something that got changed, motor mounts allowing the motor to move in such a way as to change half shaft angles enough to cause a bind .

one thing different in RWD was the motor twist, but you are a traverse drive, so even that is out.

Some alignment basics (paints target on back, Please correct me if you have more accurate info)

Toe-out makes a car skitish on acceleration and deceleration. Can be used to help turn in on slolam courses. Toe-in exists to take up for soft bushings at just enought to insure it is always toe-in.
Camber effects cornering ability(Counter act loss of tire patch caused by caster during steering) but is not easily felt in a straight line until you hit 3 degrees or so and that is because it influences caster.
Caster makes a car stable at speed. < 1 degree feels like an MG midget and requires two hands at highway speeds and 1 finger at parking lot speed.
caster > 3-5 degrees feels like a cadillac and requires 1 finger at highway speeds and both hands, arms, and "put yout back into it" at parking lot speeds.

recap
You want enough toe-in to take care of bushing slop, get better bushings, reduce toe-in and guarentte better milage. You want enough caster to maintain negative caster during braking, if caster reduction during hard braking caused by dive gets < .5 degree it will want to yank the wheel out of your hand and go left or right. Resulting in that little left-right dance to a hard stop.
You want enough camber to get even tire wear. Or max cornering :-)

To develop these numbers, buy a tire pyrometer. go for a drive and measure all tires in rotation
measure an inch from inside, the center and in the outside inch
measure all 4 tires in same rotation every time then measure first tire again to get an idea of the heat loss
measure the rubber just under the surface, not the surface

ok outside center inside
hot med low positive camber adjust more negative
hot hot low Positive camber and high air pressure
low med hot to much negative
low high low pressure to high
high low high pressure to low
high high high compared to other wheel on same axle. draging brakes, or scrubbing due to uneven toe or caster

etc

.

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.8.8 - Release Date: 2/14/2005

Well I definitely have a solution!!

But not for $300 Bucks.
That price is a boost transformer and bridge rectifier, and a stop watch and
meters.

Hands off  PFC charging.. from 100 to 240 input and 12 to 450 VDC output is
what I sell.

It still baffles me that somebody would spend a couple of thousand bucks on
a battery pack, and then Cheap out on a third world charger.

I learned long ago, a good charger hand build or not was worth every penny.

> I've never heard of any heat engine hitting 52%, do you have a reference?
No, just dreaming, like the 30% Fresnel Concentrator setup, which would
probably be better, and would shurely top any plain pv (even high end).

> As for the slow startup time, well it's a drag race....
 > rev the engine and dump the clutch ;-)
Ya, but the rules say...

2. Batteries, capacitors, flywheels, or energy storage devices
    (if any) must be completely de-energized and in an uncharged
    state prior to the start of each race heat.

So, When exactly is the "start of each race heat"?
Does that include the trip from the pits to the starting line?

1. Solar-only powered dragsters will race head-to-head using
    only solar electric cells and electric motors.

Looks like stirlings are out, "only solar electric cells".

L8r
  Ryan

 > Roy LeMeur wrote:
 >
 >> For additional rules and information you can check out the web page:
 >> http://users.applecapital.net/~jim/solardragrace.htm

In a message dated 2/17/05 7:10:45 PM Pacific Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

<<  wonder what voltage he actually
 is running these days? >>
There are 30 ep16 hawkers in 1 string

Roger Stockton wrote:

Victor Tikhonov [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I can sure participate the racing. I times myself a couple of times and it was somewhere between 12 and 13 seconds, close to 13 I think.

This is 0-60MPH, not 1/4mi.

My bad, yes, it is 0-60 mph. That shows how much do I care :-)

The point is not to compete, but just to run the car down the track,
pushing it only as hard as you are comfortable doing.

OK, I can run it few times if you ask nicely :-) I'm afraid, though it may not pass formal safety inspection.
It would be
foolish to expect your car to outperform John or Otmar's vehicles in a
contest of power given that we know they have several times the peak
power capability of your car.

Granted.

It would strictly be an educational experience.  You would have a better
appreciation for what is involved in this form of competition (hey, you
might even discover that you like it, and choose to build a racer
yourself ;^).

I don't plan to be a racer, so with all respect to racers, I don't care what is involved. I do appreciate all the work put in their vehicles, but the level of appreciation does not depend of the runs result - I appreciate enginuity and craftsmanship, and personalities.

You know your car's specs, and you know the specs of
John's, Otmar's, and others; after you run it down the strip and collect
your timeslip you will know where it fits relative to them acceleration
wise.  It might be an eye opener if the reality differs significantly
from your expectations.

Sorry, personally I don't care where it fits. But like I said, I may run it because keep hearing others do care and keep asking. Or one of following years...

One day I hope to run my car there. Do I expect to outperform Rich's Goldie or steal a NEDRA record from anyone? Absolutely not! But, even if my car takes 2x as long to complete the 1/4mi as Goldie I will have fun and come away knowing how good or bad its relative performance is.

That is YOU.

Performance of ACRX is very good, but I don't care about *a number*.

Ultimately you have to decide if you are willing to run your car down
the track, and ultimately, you are the one who controls how hard it is
pushed (and therefore the likelihood of breaking something).  I know I'm
not the only one curious to see how an AC conversion would perform, so I
hope you do decide to run it sometime. But I understand your arguments
against it; none of us are made of money.

Do we have any AC Rangers? Anyone with RAV4 or still leased EV-1 willing to drive from CA for fun?

Depends on the manufacturer. I seen some at 0 and up
to 1/8" of toe in. Oval racers actually set their rear
end up off to the side to make use of the effect since
they only turn in one direction while racing.

=====
visit my website at www.reverendgadget.com

As I think about it, the symptoms would indicate that
the rear end is riding slightly to the left of the
front. you could always check it by driving on smooth
dirt road and look at your tracks or have someone in
another car follow behind you and take a look. I saw a
car on the freeway today with about 3" of offset from
front to rear. I bet that car was a nightmare to
drive. It doesn't take much to make a noticeable
difference, even a fraction of an inch will be
noticeable to the conscientious driver.

visit my website at www.reverendgadget.com

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- If we're drag racing with EVs, I can already tell you what the fastest one is. It's whoever has the most symetrical megabits of internet connectivity all the way between them and their destination.

Oh, we're not drag racing the Net? Well, it's a electric vehicle, isn't it?

ObEV: I was thinking it might be fun to make a electric, remote controlled, solar powered dirigable. Anyone else think this sounds like fun? I have the panels, but I'd need to figure out motors and lift bag and compressor.. I'm guessing that one of Victor Tikhinov's Brusa vacuum pumps would make a good compressor, placed inside the lift bag. Not sure how much pressure those can develop (which would be important because it would be compressing into a aluminum canister - am I incorrect, or would this let me affect the bouyency and therefore lift of the craft?)

I'm not denying, by the way, that this comes under the category of 'extremely odd behavior'. But, it is a electric vehicle! Picture a world in which this device replaced the UPS truck. Glue GPS to PDA to drive system [and I can see all the glue from where I'm sitting, except the digital duct tape that would be the software], and you've got a interesting device that can deliver a package, self-routed. Bonus points for cool if you can figure out a BLDC drive for the compressor that enables you to regen-brake the expanding gas as it flows into the lift bag.

Obviously, this device needs a battery pack that is *light*. The working gas could be hydrogen, and a fuel cell could power the device combining the H2 with O from the air and dropping the water. Or we could use LiON. Since the battery doesn't have to run the motors, just the onboard computer (the solar panel runs the motors, and/or the expanding gas) a fuel cell could be reletively small and light.

Just playing with ideas over here. Is this enough of a electric vehicle to qualify for the list? I can't remember if the charter specified cars.

Jonathan "Sheer" Pullen