  1) Re: March NBEAA meeting announcement
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  2) Re: simple fuse indicator
  3) Re: Multiple Breakers
  4) Light Weight Spool
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: max. wet cell temperatures (and OT Honda ICE batt.
  regulators)
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) 100A Motor Controllers
        by "Shawn Waggoner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Current Capacity of 1/2" Copper Pipe
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) EV and snow.
        by Chris Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Current Capacity of 1/2" Copper Pipe
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: Current Capacity of 1/2" Copper Pipe
        by "djsharpe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: your EV battery selection
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 12) RE: Battery Box Advice Sought
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Current Capacity of 1/2" Copper Pipe
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: your EV battery selection
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: Current Capacity of 1/2" Copper Pipe
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Brakes on 300zx
        by "STEVE CLUNN" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Regenerating a series wound motor
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: BELT-ALTERNATOR-STARTERS
        by "Raymond Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: BELT-ALTERNATOR-STARTERS
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: BELT-ALTERNATOR-STARTERS
        by "Ivo Jara" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Tour de Sol Registration
        by M Bianchi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Tour de Sol Early Reg deadline
        by M Bianchi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Current Capacity of 1/2" Copper Pipe
        by Catbus Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: More calculator stuff
        by Catbus Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) EBEAA Meeting this Saturday 2/26/04 10-12 in Alameda, CA
        by "EAA-contact" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) RE: Current Capacity of 1/2" Copper Pipe
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Direct drive - how to do it right
        by "Christopher Robison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Even though a lot of this list is from California, I'm not sure that you all
are aware of the letter that California recently wrote to Bush. I copied it to
my web site, www.ironandwood.org/Ca_succession.htm

Rush
#3 is your error. At DC, the entire bulk of the conductor carries the
current. All you need to consider is cross sectional area, not surface
area.

But for AC current, the "skin effect" begins to appear. The higher the
AC frequency, the less depth it penetrates into the conductor. But it
can be ignored for anything but very high frequencies. For example, the
skin depth at 60 Hz is over 0.5", so it has no effect on a 1" diameter
solid copper bar.
--
Ring the bells that you can ring
Forget your perfect offering

Jay,  thanks for the positive encouragement.  Yes, I hope the Dekas will
work well for my application.  Also, you are right about me missing a
critical piece of information: the amount of current the battery can
deliver.  Unfortunately, the Gels are not too good at delivering current
like the flooded or AGMs.  The East Penn application engineers say 250 Amps
max, and not to do it too often. I also spoke at length with a lot of
people, and even in my higher voltage/lower current system I may experience
a large voltage sag when accelerating up hills.  It will be an experiment.

Although I am not an expert, I would suggest looking at something other than
the gels if you want the pull a lot of current.  Too bad, as they have
worked out for a lot of Solectria users and are the best bang for the buck
in available battery technology.  They have a long life, not as subject to
balancing problems and are inexpensive to purchase.

Don

Victoria, BC, Canada

See the New Beetle EV Conversion Web Site at
www.cameronsoftware.com/ev/

Thanks again for making your project website such a great resource for the
hobby.  The Deka 8G34 looks like an impressive choice, the only data missing
from your comparative spreadsheet seems to be a rating of how many amps each
battery can deliver.  I'm planning on a 192 volt DC drive in my
Karmann-Ghia, and wondering how the Dekas would survive occaisional 1000 amp
launches with a Zilla 1k.  Any ideas?
Thanks,
Jay Donnaway
Vancouver, WA

Thanks Lee,

So the cross sectional area of the flattened copper pipe is 1" x 0.1" = 0.1
in sq.  This is just a bit smaller than the cross section area of a 2/0
cable, so I am still in the clear.

        From: "Nancy Hazard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        To: "Friends of the Tour de Sol" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        Subject:    Tour de Sol Early Reg deadline
        Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 07:31:10 -0500

Dear friends of the Tour de Sol:

March 1 is the early registration deadline for the Tour de Sol Championship.
Register by March 1 - and save $100.  Please go to www.TourdeSol.org for
registration fees and forms

There are three ways to register and participate in the May 13-16, 2005 Tour de
Sol:
 -          Tour de Sol Championship - 4-day event for Prototype and Production
            Vehicles
 -          Monte Carlo-style Rally - 1-2 day event for advanced vehicle owners
 -          E-bike, e-scooter, and NEV events - 2-day event for hobbyists and
            manufacturers

Each event listed above has its own registration form - please visit our web
site at www.TourdeSol.org.  On our web site you will also find detailed
information on registration deadlines, Rules, Regulations, and Awards of these
events.

Organized by the Northeast Sustainable Energy Association (NESEA) our 2005 Tour
de Sol has new exciting competitions, and a wonderful new venue - ideal for a
get-a-way weekend and much more!

Our weekend destination is Saratoga's Spring Auto Show held one of the most
beautiful and historic spas in the United States.  The Saratoga Spa State Park
offers 250 landscaped acres, historic buildings with mineral spring baths,
golf, walking and biking trails, the historic Gideon Putnam Hotel, the Saratoga
Performing Arts Center, and our host, the Saratoga Auto Museum.

Following our exciting weekend activities, Tour de Sol participants will
display their vehicles with Clean Cities Stakeholders, in Albany at the New
York Sate capitol, just 35 miles south of Saratoga Springs, and visit with
decision-makers.

Don't miss out!  Register today!

If you have questions, email the contacts listed below, or join us for Q&A any
Thursday at 5:30pm by calling 508-995-6619 code: 523.

Sincerely, Nancy Hazard NESEA Executive Director, for the many Tour de Sol
volunteers 50 Miles Street, Greenfield, MA 01301

PS. NESEA will supply all vehicle numbers this year for Championship, e-bikes,
& Monte Carlo participants.  If you have a car, please save a space on each
side of your vehicle for # and event ID: 12"high x 18" wide.  E-bikes - you can
cut out the numbers and ID info to fit your bike.

If you have questions, please contact:

Tour de Sol Championship:
         Pat Skelly: [EMAIL PROTECTED] or call 609-586-6992 day or evening.

Monte Carlo-style Rally:
         Craig Van Battenburg: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

e-bikes & Scooters:
         Josh Kerson: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

NEVs & Exhibit:
         Nancy Hazard: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
--

Don Cameron wrote:

Thanks Lee,

So the cross sectional area of the flattened copper pipe is 1" x 0.1" = 0.1
in sq. This is just a bit smaller than the cross section area of a 2/0
cable, so I am still in the clear.

To be more precise, it would be the cross sectional area of the unsquashed pipe, minus the area of the hole.
using the standard formula for area of a circle:
area = pi*(radius*radius)
where pi is approximatly 3.1415

Assuming you are flattening the pipe yourself and are being gentle enough about it to avoid thinning the pipe wall much.
The thinnest part of your conductor will have the highest resistance.

FWIW, I've read about large radio transmitters, where the frequency makes the skin effect significant, using pipes as antenna feed lines and running coolant through the pipes.

Mike Shipway

Hi listees -

I've fixed a javascript problem and the EV Calculator is back up to speed with
the new variables, so now I'm back here begging for new info - feel free to
double check anything you feel may be in error, and let me know what might be
useful to everyone. Also, if anyone works with javascript, I'd love to add an
acceleration section - right now, the controller's peak current entry is a moot
point.

cowtown @ spamcop.net

If you can send me the math formuli and the HTML form you want to attach it to, I can knock out the javascipt pretty quickly.

'Mad' Mike Shipway
Free range programmer
. . . Solar powered.

*********START OF MEETING ANNOUNCEMENT***********
Topic: EV Servicing - Aurenthetic EV Motorcycle
Date: Saturday, February, 26, 2005
Time: 10 am to 12 noon.
Site: Alameda First Baptist Church
      1515 Santa Clara Ave, Alameda
Visitors welcome, open to the public.

This meeting we will discuss servicing of EVs, and have a practical hands-on
interaction with an Aurenthetic motorcycle. Great way to understand some of the
existing EVs on the road and the used market.

Also will be discussing the recent activities with the EV1 Vigil and plans for
events this year.

Remember that our Spring EV display and Rally is coming up at the end of April.
And there's an All Chapters EAA conference in Austin, TX the first weekend of
April.

See you there.

http://www.geocities.com/ebeaa

**********END OF MEETING ANNOUNCEMENT************

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com

The area of concern is the area of flattened pipe (as measured), not the
pipe left as a whole.  Are you assuming that part of the pipe will be left
whole? This is not the case.  These are small 8 x 2.5 cm bars.

They also use pipes at large hydro dams for current carrying.

Don

Victoria, BC, Canada

See the New Beetle EV Conversion Web Site at
www.cameronsoftware.com/ev/

>So the cross sectional area of the flattened copper pipe is 1" x 0.1" =
>0.1 in sq.  This is just a bit smaller than the cross section area of a
>2/0 cable, so I am still in the clear.

To be more precise, it would be the cross sectional area of the unsquashed
pipe, minus the area of the hole.
using the standard formula for area of a circle:
   area = pi*(radius*radius)
   where pi is approximatly 3.1415

Assuming you are flattening the pipe yourself and are being gentle enough
about it to avoid thinning the pipe wall much.
The thinnest part of your conductor will have the highest resistance.

FWIW, I've read about large radio transmitters, where the frequency makes
the skin effect significant, using pipes as antenna feed lines and running
coolant through the pipes.

Mike Shipway

For my upcoming conversion project, I'd like to investigate the
possibility of doing direct drive.  I haven't made my decision yet, but
I'd like to get as much information as I can about how to go about it.

I'm aware of reasons why this might not be a good idea (no way to
disconnect the driveline in case the controller fails "on", etc), and
while I'm open to input on the pros/cons, what I'd really like to know is
how it's done.

I've looked at what pictures I could find of the one very successful
direct-drive setup I'm aware of (Wayland's White Zombie) and it appears
that there's a custom-machined fitting that fits on the motor shaft, this
bolts to a strange-looking, flat-mating U-joint on a short shaft with a
male spline at the other end, which is supported by a crossmember and a
what looks like a large pillow block. I would guess that from there to the
rear end would be a pretty typical driveshaft setup.

John, do I have this wrong?  I really wish I'd paid more attention on the
occasions I've seen the car in person!  Are such parts available, or was
this all totally custom-made?

Does anyone else have a direct-drive setup, with a different arrangement?
Short of doing the above, I'm guessing all I might need is something that
acts like the tail housing on a tranny, to support the output spline. This
would require that I can mount the motor just right, which might be why
John's using an additional U-joint (?)...

  --chris