  1) Re: your EV battery selection
  2) Re: Regenerating a series wound motor
  3) Re: Regenerating a series wound motor
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Direct drive - how to do it right
  5) Re: 12 v system battery question
        by "STEVE CLUNN" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: Direct drive - how to do it right
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Current Capacity of 1/2" Copper Pipe
        by Catbus Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Direct drive - how to do it right
        by "Christopher Robison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: BELT-ALTERNATOR-STARTERS
        by Dave Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Direct drive - how to do it right
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: More calculator stuff
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 12) Re: Current Capacity of 1/2" Copper Pipe
        by Electro Automotive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: your EV battery selection
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Current Capacity of 1/2" Copper Pipe
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Current Capacity of 1/2" Copper Pipe
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Current Capacity of 1/2" Copper Pipe
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: BELT-ALTERNATOR-STARTERS
        by Andrew Letton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: Direct drive - how to do it right
 19) Re: Current Capacity of 1/2" Copper Pipe
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 20) Vectrix update (was: Impromptu NBEAA meeting on Saturday)
        by "Charles Whalen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) RE: Battery Box Advice Sought
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: BELT-ALTERNATOR-STARTERS
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Industrial charger
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) RE: Battery Box Advice Sought
        by Gnat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) RE: Battery Box Advice Sought
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: 100 mile trip
        by "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: Direct drive - how to do it right
        by "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
My guess is "Not well"  in fact I'm not even sure you can get 1000 amps
out of them.
Deka's are Gel Cells, and Gel Cells don't like high currents.
I'm not sure about the 8G34s, but the ones I had (8G27?) can't really
handle much more than 250-300 amps.  Sure they claim to have higher
current capability, but at 300 amps they sag well below 1.67V per cell.

> Don,
> Thanks again for making your project website such a great resource for the
> hobby.  The Deka 8G34 looks like an impressive choice, the only data
> missing from your comparative spreadsheet seems to be a rating of how many
> amps each battery can deliver.  I'm planning on a 192 volt DC drive in my
> Karmann-Ghia, and wondering how the Dekas would survive occaisional 1000
> amp launches with a Zilla 1k.  Any ideas?
> Thanks,
> Jay Donnaway
> Vancouver, WA

A couple points to consider for thse of you contemplating regen on series
wound motors by PWM modulating the field and tieing the armature directly
to the batteries.

The field coil in a series wound motor:
1) has EXTREEMLY low resistance, maybe 1/100 ohm, maybe even less.
2) has very low inductance.
3) is designed to run at 1 or 2 volts with 100 or more amps

These conditions are VERY hard on controllers that aren't designed to
handle them.

Hi Peter,
  I was assuming that the field is by far the largest inductive
component in the motor.  The fact that it will only reach 1 or 2 volts
is not very important to a PWM motor controller as long as it has a
decent current limit, although this is why I tried it with a low
voltage controller fed from only 12V.

That said, I did blow the controller up (although I think it was more
to do with it getting wet) and I am open to the possibility that it's
just a bad idea :)

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:03:06 -0700 (MST), Peter VanDerWal
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> A couple points to consider for thse of you contemplating regen on series
> wound motors by PWM modulating the field and tieing the armature directly
> to the batteries.
>
> The field coil in a series wound motor:
> 1) has EXTREEMLY low resistance, maybe 1/100 ohm, maybe even less.
> 2) has very low inductance.
> 3) is designed to run at 1 or 2 volts with 100 or more amps
>
> These conditions are VERY hard on controllers that aren't designed to
> handle them.

Since you mentioned Motor (singular) instead of motors (plural) I'm
assuming you have missed the point that single reduction ratio drivelines
require a motor/controller/driveline-ratio combo that can deliver HUGE
ammounts of wheel torque.

In a normal multispeed transmission, when you need to start out or climb a
hill (actions that require relatively high wheel torque), you shift down
into a lower gear.  For higher speed highway cruising you shift up.

With a single ratio, you're stuck in one fixed gear.  This HAS to be a low
enough ratio than you can handle the highest expect speed without over
spinning your motor.

Since you can't shift down to get more torque, the motor controller has to
be able to deliver this higher torque.

There are three common ways to achieve these results
1) Use a high ratio reduction and a motor that can spinn really fast (AC
drives)
2) Use a REALLY big motor and REALLY high current controller.
3) Use TWO motors, with series/parallel switching and a moderately high
powered controller.

>From what I'm gathering from reading your post, option #1 is out since it
would require a differential with a 10:1 reduction and I don't think those
are commonly available.

An 11" motor with a 2K amp controller might suffice for option #2.

Option #3 with two 8" motors and a 1K amp controller is probably the
lowest cost, most reliable method.   Of course if you live in a really
hilly area, you might need a 2K amp controller.

Personally I'd go with the 4th option, a normal motor/controler and a
small two speed tranny.  Perhaps something like two speed transfer case,
like one of the crawler add-ons for 4wd rock crawlers.

Note: without a normal tranny with reverse gear, you need to add fwd/rev
contactors for all of the above setups except #1 (AC controllers typically
have a reverse mode).

> Does anyone else have a direct-drive setup, with a different arrangement?
> Short of doing the above, I'm guessing all I might need is something that
> acts like the tail housing on a tranny, to support the output spline. This
> would require that I can mount the motor just right, which might be why
> John's using an additional U-joint (?)...
>
>   --chris

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lee Hart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Perhaps the idea solution would be to turn the DC/DC off when parked,
but have a "wake-up" timer that turns it on periodically (say, 1 hour a
week, or whenever the battery voltage falls to 80% SOC). The DC/DC can
run at higher current and so operates efficiently; but is off most of
the time.
been thinking about this also , I was thinking of a simple timer made with a large capacitor , mosfet , and relay . When you turn the car off , the large cap which would be hooked to the gate( and diode/key ) would keep the fet on holding the relay and dc dc on till cap drained . So you turn the car off and 1 hour later the dc dc goes off, This would also have the dc dc off when the charger started to push the pack voltage high. ,( unless your doing a fast charge ) .
Steve Clunn

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I've always liked the way NEON did his VW buggy. It looks like he just flipped the rearend and mated the motor directly.

http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/125.html

From: "Christopher Robison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Direct drive - how to do it right
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:39:20 -0600 (CST)

For my upcoming conversion project, I'd like to investigate the
possibility of doing direct drive.  I haven't made my decision yet, but
I'd like to get as much information as I can about how to go about it.

I'm aware of reasons why this might not be a good idea (no way to
disconnect the driveline in case the controller fails "on", etc), and
while I'm open to input on the pros/cons, what I'd really like to know is
how it's done.

I've looked at what pictures I could find of the one very successful
direct-drive setup I'm aware of (Wayland's White Zombie) and it appears
that there's a custom-machined fitting that fits on the motor shaft, this
bolts to a strange-looking, flat-mating U-joint on a short shaft with a
male spline at the other end, which is supported by a crossmember and a
what looks like a large pillow block. I would guess that from there to the
rear end would be a pretty typical driveshaft setup.

John, do I have this wrong?  I really wish I'd paid more attention on the
occasions I've seen the car in person!  Are such parts available, or was
this all totally custom-made?

Does anyone else have a direct-drive setup, with a different arrangement?
Short of doing the above, I'm guessing all I might need is something that
acts like the tail housing on a tranny, to support the output spline. This
would require that I can mount the motor just right, which might be why
John's using an additional U-joint (?)...

  --chris

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Not sure what you mean by leaving the pipe "whole", unless you mean not sawing, which would remove copper saw-dust.
My point was merely that you would get approximate measurements if you flattened it, then measured, since the corners would not be perfectly square, and the inside surfaces would not be perfectly touching.

So to rephrase m'self:
Apipe = Arod - Aspace
Apipe = Copper cross section area of the pipe
Arod = cross section area the pipe would have if it where solid rod
Aspace = cross section area of the empty space inside, the hole
if you flattened the pipe, or even slice it open and unroll it, you should still have the same number of square cm of copper in a cross section, but a round pipe's diameter and wall thickness are easy to measure with common tools.

Now if you are also redistributing the copper along the length you'd change the cross section,
e.g. if you stretch the pipe to twice it's original length, the cross section area would be 1/2 the original, regardless of the cross section's shape, unless the density changed.
Mike-

Don Cameron wrote:

The area of concern is the area of flattened pipe (as measured), not the
pipe left as a whole.  Are you assuming that part of the pipe will be left
whole? This is not the case.  These are small 8 x 2.5 cm bars.

They also use pipes at large hydro dams for current carrying.

Don

Victoria, BC, Canada

See the New Beetle EV Conversion Web Site at
www.cameronsoftware.com/ev/