  1) Re: 3 phase PM
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: 3 phase PM
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Question: Max efficiency charging with 3 phase alternator
  4) Re: If series regen's not a good idea, what about plug braking?
        by Tim Clevenger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: 3 phase PM
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) re: Dave Cloud's Rules ideas.
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Accuracy of voltmeters, revisited
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Question: Max efficiency charging with 3 phase alternator
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: 3 phase PM
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: 3 phase PM
        by "Andre' Blanchard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: Accuracy of voltmeters, revisited
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Accuracy of voltmeters, revisited
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) AC vs. DC / 100 mph club with AC?
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: If series regen's not a good idea, what about plug braking?
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Dave Cloud's Rules ideas.
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Motor Efficiency
        by "Raymond Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Accuracy of voltmeters, revisited
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Dave Cloud's Rules ideas. correction
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: 3 phase alternator-why not an induction machine?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Question: Max efficiency charging with 3 phase alternator
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Question: Max efficiency charging with 3 phase alternator
> >Myles Twete wrote:
>
> > And I've been waiting months to comment on these---thanks for the
> > opportunity.
> >
> > No matter which alternator we
> > tried, all we could ever get was about 20amps into the nom. 12.5v, i.e. only
> > around 250watts max.

How about one of these "300 amp" alternators?

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/spl_alternators.html

Bunch of "200 amp" ones too..

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/mustangs.html

Ryan suggested:
> Would one of these work any better?
> http://www.performancedistributors.com/alternator.htm

Maybe...who knows?
We've tried 60amp and 100amp alternators.
Neither put out much more than 20amps at full-out steam rate.
And while we could boost the steam pressure and rate, the engine's already
going like a bat-outta-hell to drive the generator fast enough.
We increased the belt drive ratio also, from perhaps 1:4 to 1:6 -- my guess.
We can probably do 2400RPM at the alternator, but not much more.
At much over 300RPM the steam engine gets loud.
Ideally, I'd like to see it spin much less.
Hence, driving an ETEK at (13.2v+.025*60amp)*(75RPM/volt) = 1103RPM ,
we should expect (with 1:6 belt drive) a steam engine speed of only 183RPM.
That'll be much better---even if we have to increase the steam regulator
pressure, which I doubt we'd have to do.

Now, if I can only get my friend to cough up $400 for an ETEK...

-Myles

> Rich Rudman wrote:
>> The best in the Buisness are PM windturbine power sections.
>> They use FETs and Diodes. The top of the 3 phase bridge is Diodes,
>> Low voltage, low conduction losses. Ultra fast soft recovery.
>
> Who cares if they are fast or soft recovery? We're only dealing with low
> audio frequencies. I would think they would choose the diodes based on
> forward voltage drop (probably schottkys).
>
>> The bottoms are FETS that can be PWMed. This allows normal
>> rectification when there is enough windblowing.
>
> Presumably by using the MOSFET's body diode? This is a high-drop diode.

I don't think that's what he meant, I think he meant they were doing
synchronous rectification (sort of).

They are probably using fast diodes as much as freewheeling diodes as well
as rectifiers.

I'm thinking you could probably set it up to do buck/boost with MPPT to
maximize power output over a variety of windspeed vs. battery SOC.
At least that's what I would try to do.

I would probably drill through the shifter and install an on/off
button, similar to what Honda used to do with their Overdrive
on/off switches on the side of their automatic shifters.  That way
you can control plug braking completely independently of the
service brake, but still keep your hand on the shifter.

Tim

-------
> Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 09:28:15 -0800
> From: Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
> Subject: Re: If series regen's not a good idea, what about plug braking?
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > I'd like to be able to say, tap the brakes to initiate plug
> > braking, and tap the accelerator pedal to turn it off.  Has
> > anyone implemented such?
>
> That's an interesting idea, and sounds workable. You'd have to get used
> to it, though. I think it would feel like the brakes are sticking.

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

Peter suggested:

> I suspect he didn't buy the 'optional' cooling fan.
>  Pretty much required on these alternators and an additional reduction in
> efficiency.

On the contrary, he did indeed by the 'optional' cooling fan.
And guess what it is?
It's virtually identical to the shaft fan you get with any ordinary
alternator.  And that's what you get for $30 extra!
What a racket.

I'm a big fan of cooling.
I force-air cool my Permag (PM) ETEK on my 26ft outboard-powered wooden
boat.
All it takes is a Pabst 7inch 48v muffin fan running on 36v with perhaps
0.3amp (?) and the ETEK is at most, warm to the touch to 100amps.  At
150amps it's quite warm on the case, but still not a worry.

Contrast this with these PM alternators from Thermodyne.
These units get EXTREMELY HOT at only 20amps, even with their 'optional'
fan.
It doesn't matter what speed or voltage, with approx. 0.6ohm internal
resistance, 240watts is lost to heat at 20amps.
The ETEK won't generate this much heat until it hits 100amps---and even
then, it only drops 2.5v compared to the Thermodyne unit which drops 12v
internally at only 20amps!

Spend your money on something that really is efficient---not something which
claims to be so without offering any evidence or support.

-Myles

      Rich:

      Would you please post this for me on the EV Discussion List?

      Thanks.  Dave

      02/27/05

      My name is Dave Cloud (not Steve/Dave Cloud).  My brother and I are not
connected at the brain and never have been.  We are not in business together
and don't always have the same opinions.

      I have never proposed a NEDRA rule change that would benefit only me as
Rich Madman posted (although he later apologized to me on the phone).

      I have discussed my ideas with Rich and others about class divisions
based on voltage.  I believe the potential quarter mile time difference between
a 72V system and a 360V setup is less than 0.5 seconds.  I realize that this is
a controversial point of view, but I expect to prove it at the racetrack.
Obviously, if this were the case,  I hope we would all be in agreement that 10
separate divisions within a 0.5 second difference  would be ridiculous.

      I have pondered the idea of classes divided based on battery weight
(never wattage).  I believe it would have more validity than voltage and would
be much easier to verify.  [A cheater could more easily move  a wire than hide
a battery.]

      If I were to propose a new way to separate class divisions, it would be
based on money, a standard claimer system used in many forms of racing.  What
makes a vehicle go faster is more money, not more voltage. Dragster class might
have something like 6 divisions:  $5K, $10K, $20K, $50, $100K, Unclaimable.
For example, it you entered your vehicle in the $10K category, you would have
to sell it at the end of the event for that price.  The vehicle would have to
be in the same condition and have the same contents (less driver & driver's
gear) as when it crossed the quarter mile light.

      Records would be rewarded in each division based on low ET.  If someone
had a better ET than in any division above, they would  be awarded that record
also.  I believe claimer divisions would have several benefits.  The concern
that someone with unlimited funding could sweep all the records would be
eliminated since they would not put their expensive vehicle at risk in a lower
$$ class.

      I believe competition would be tighter than voltage classes since vehicle
built with similar funding are more likely to have similar performance.
Looking at past performance NEDRA records, it is true that generally the higher
voltage vehicles are faster.  However, these same vehicles also are much more
expensive.

      Claimer classes would also result in more competitors.  More spectators
would come to the races with the idea of possibly claiming a vehicle  so then
the original owner would have to build a new one.  This would help the
development of low cost EV's in general.

      If you think voltage by itself is still a good way to define class
divisions, why not let low voltage record holders with better ET's than the
higher voltage in the same class have the higher record also?  This change
would probably benefit me greatly, but I believe it is the most fair and
logical approach which treats everyone equally.

      It has been suggested that  a  20 second minimum ET be enforced.   This
sounds like a good idea to me, but we should also let all voltage classes
including the 96V and under run the full quarter mile under this limitation if
they so choose.

      If any of you NEDRA members (Rich, Otmar, Lee, Bill, Dennis) think this
post was written by a lunatic, please print this, save for one year and then
read again.

      This message has been approved by Dave Cloud.

Don,

Two (or all three) voltmeters are out of calibration then.

The way to check your meters it is to measure voltage on a band-gap
voltage reference you can ger from digikey or others.
Say, 10V is convenient value. For example, you can use:

0.05% accurate: LT1236ACN8-10 or AD587KN both $6.14
0.1% accurate: ADR01AR %2.93 or LM4040 - $2.39

You can check all your meters against it.
Use spec's temp (usually room 25'C) when you do this.

That above is valid for pure DC measurements though.

When you measure voltage while on charge, results will vary
because of the waveform (not pure DC). Unless you use the scope
to see what you're measuring or you know what the voltmeter
error is, it will be a guess. Knowing the error exactly is near
impossible since the load changes the duration of voltage pulses
present on top of DC voltage, and that skews the measurements for
different voltmeters to different degrees.

Victor

Don Cameron wrote:

Good question.  I have three DVMs,  I measured the same battery with each:

Radio Shack:    12.78
Meterman:               12.82
OTC:                    12.7

I thought maybe the leads have an effect, so I tried each with each other
leads and get the same results.  I wonder, what can be used as an accurate
voltage reference?

Victoria, BC, Canada
See the New Beetle EV Conversion Web Site at
www.cameronsoftware.com/ev/